U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 AM

20 posts, read 60,423 times

Advertisements

Moved from NYC, to Maryland. Schools are great, but I'm a city girl. Ver slow out here.Now I would like to move Broward County Fl. Preferably Coral Springs, Pembrook Pines or Miramar. Any advice on these areas and schools? Need to be near shopping and public transportation at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 AM

2,940 posts, read 11,719,235 times
You were also looking at Montegomery County which far and away has some of the best schools - certainly better than Florida.

If you like "traditional cities" such as Philadelphia, Baltimore (you may not be a fan), DC, etc. south Florida is quite different - real downtowns don't really exist.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:56 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,271 times
Hey Single, I am looking to move to Florida as well. I live in NYC now. Coral Springs/Parkland/Weston/Cooper City/Davie will be your best bet as far as schools go. There is a lot that I like about Florida, but I'm not sure that schools are really the selling point. Historically they are not known for their education, but the areas I listed to you happen to have the most consistently A rated schools. I have also lived in MD. I'm not sure what area of MD you are in, but can assure you that it will not be much different as far as night life in SFL. I mean I visit there often and when I go, we always make it our business to go to the HardRock or to make it down to Miami, but that really won't be an every weekend occurence (at least I don't think it will). There are lots of people here who think SFL is very similar to NYC, but I DO NOT. Aside from crabby drivers and people with attitudes (which, I have to say I haven't really experienced, but many people complain about this, so I think it is valid to a degree), it is very different from NYC. Now, that being said, I do not know what part of NY you are from, but if you are from Upstate or even parts of the island, I think it will be similar to any small town USA, but the transportation thing is really bad - you will need a car almost immediately, if not sooner. I think a job and/or shopping, even just getting around for basics will be nearly impossible for you in Coral Springs. Miam, Ft. Lauderdale are much more viable areas, however, the schools are definitely less desirable, at least in Ft. Laurderdale. Not so sure about Miami. Give me more specifics and we can figure this out together - LOL.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:11 PM

2,518 posts, read 9,506,825 times
stay away from all of Miramar if you can....yes, even west.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:12 PM

2,518 posts, read 9,506,825 times
try the SHENANDOA area of Davie....Excellent top rated schools, very nice place to live and right next to 595, I75, Sawgrass and everywhere else you could imagine.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,570,222 times
I am also from NYC. It is VERY slow here. If you are a city girl, Pembroke Pines/Coral Springs/Miramar will bore you to tears. They are strictly suburbs, with only big box and chain stores and ticky tacky houses that all look the same. If that is what you want, than great. I don't know where in Maryland you are, whether it's suburban or rural, but if you are commutable to DC, you definitely have more to do where you are, than you would down here.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Hey Single, I am looking to move to Florida as well. I live in NYC now. Coral Springs/Parkland/Weston/Cooper City/Davie will be your best bet as far as schools go. There is a lot that I like about Florida, but I'm not sure that schools are really the selling point. Historically they are not known for their education, but the areas I listed to you happen to have the most consistently A rated schools. I have also lived in MD. I'm not sure what area of MD you are in, but can assure you that it will not be much different as far as night life in SFL. I mean I visit there often and when I go, we always make it our business to go to the HardRock or to make it down to Miami, but that really won't be an every weekend occurence (at least I don't think it will). There are lots of people here who think SFL is very similar to NYC, but I DO NOT. Aside from crabby drivers and people with attitudes (which, I have to say I haven't really experienced, but many people complain about this, so I think it is valid to a degree), it is very different from NYC. Now, that being said, I do not know what part of NY you are from, but if you are from Upstate or even parts of the island, I think it will be similar to any small town USA, but the transportation thing is really bad - you will need a car almost immediately, if not sooner. I think a job and/or shopping, even just getting around for basics will be nearly impossible for you in Coral Springs. Miam, Ft. Lauderdale are much more viable areas, however, the schools are definitely less desirable, at least in Ft. Laurderdale. Not so sure about Miami. Give me more specifics and we can figure this out together - LOL.
Thanks for your help on this. I currently live in Harford County,Bel Air MD. It's a vey quiet "city". Not much to do at all, besides going out to eat with your family. As far as driving, that'll happen almost immediately, as arriving in Fl. On the Coal Springs website, states that there is public transportation available. However, it depends if it's along the route I decide to live in or even near. A two bedroom would be perfect for my family. Where I live now, I hardly ever see my neighbors, I need to see people. Miami, is out of the question. Crime rate is ridiculous from what I've read on other forums. A diverse, family oriented community with an excellent school system would be perfect. I have family that lives in Pembrook Pines, which has great schools, however, it's very quiet and very much like where I live now. HELP, lol

Old 02-06-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I am also from NYC. It is VERY slow here. If you are a city girl, Pembroke Pines/Coral Springs/Miramar will bore you to tears. They are strictly suburbs, with only big box and chain stores and ticky tacky houses that all look the same. If that is what you want, than great. I don't know where in Maryland you are, whether it's suburban or rural, but if you are commutable to DC, you definitely have more to do where you are, than you would down here.
City Blood runs through my veins. Oriinaly I'm from (Mill Basin) Brooklyn, NY. I currently live in Harford County Bel Air, MD. I would like the best of both worlds, lol. Peace of mind, with a bit of a city twist. But I know that's almost impossible. I would like a garden style apartment or a nice townhouse rental complex. I'm over an hour away from D.C. , and about an hour away from Baltimore. Baltimore is nothing like NYC.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
stay away from all of Miramar if you can....yes, even west.
Thank you but, may I ask why? I've been told different.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
try the SHENANDOA area of Davie....Excellent top rated schools, very nice place to live and right next to 595, I75, Sawgrass and everywhere else you could imagine.
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or