U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:33 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,634,291 times

Advertisements

I just don't expect to be able to afford privat, so public's standings are very important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:36 AM

7,825 posts, read 16,548,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I just don't expect to be able to afford privat, so public's standings are very important to me.

yep I agree...my concern is the high school situation with where he will be attending , Im hoping we can get there for the next school year, so maybe they will all go to cypress....I am not too worried about Elem as ive heard nothing but great things about it..
we tried to sell our home in 08 for 10 months with 54 showings and no luck as everyone put thier homes up here as well...so we are going to try it again in March and just leave it up...people are buying here but its very slow...obviously

Old 02-12-2009, 09:51 AM

2,113 posts, read 4,118,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
ty Tan, I appriciate everyone's feedback...I guess the HS situation and the cost of living concerns us a little, but again it all works out...we will rent for 6 months-1 year since we dont know the area...

Rock let me ask you what are the differences between Weston and Parkland? as we are looking in Both..
Not sure what everyones concern is with the schools they are all very good .. my daughter graduated from Cypress Bay and is now a student with a 3.4 GPA at UF ... the HS has a high graduation rate and a large amount of students go on to excellent colleges ... if you are an involved parent like my wife and I are the schools in Weston are excellent .. some people create a false sense of security with school rankings and ratings but the truth is a school can be great , but if you are not involved and on top of your kids ... no school or teacher can replace adequate parenting . The only downside to Cypress Bay high school was the overcrowding but in speaking with friends who still live in Weston , they have recently downsized the student population recently with the opening of another HS in nearby Pembroke Pines .

Parkland and Weston are both great places , upscale ,very safe , green and manicured . The HS in Parkland I believe is also A rated by the state ... the only major differences are the racial makeup as Weston is approximately 55% white american , 45% hispanic and 10% other which includes Asians , Europeans and people from the Caribbean .. all of the mentioned groups are for the most part well off , professional and educated . Parkland is very similar in appearance and aesthetics , but is probably "whiter" .. I would say to the tune of 75% .. mainly transplants from New York , New Jersey and Connecticut as well as "white flighters" from Miami Dade County . I would have to say Weston is more diverse and we would probably still live there , but we had a horse and the equestrian facilities are good in Parkland as well I work in Boca Raton so it is very close to Parkland . Agian tough choice we loved both places ... there are Marriott Hotels ( Heron Bay ) Parkland and Courtyard , and Residence Inn Weston .. do what we did .. check in for a weekend and get a feel for both places .

Good luck

Rock

Old 02-12-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Not sure what everyones concern is with the schools they are all very good .. my daughter graduated from Cypress Bay and is now a student with a 3.4 GPA at UF ... the HS has a high graduation rate and a large amount of students go on to excellent colleges ... if you are an involved parent like my wife and I are the schools in Weston are excellent .. some people create a false sense of security with school rankings and ratings but the truth is a school can be great , but if you are not involved and on top of your kids ... no school or teacher can replace adequate parenting . The only downside to Cypress Bay high school was the overcrowding but in speaking with friends who still live in Weston , they have recently downsized the student population recently with the opening of another HS in nearby Pembroke Pines .

Parkland and Weston are both great places , upscale ,very safe , green and manicured . The HS in Parkland I believe is also A rated by the state ... the only major differences are the racial makeup as Weston is approximately 55% white american , 45% hispanic and 10% other which includes Asians , Europeans and people from the Caribbean .. all of the mentioned groups are for the most part well off , professional and educated . Parkland is very similar in appearance and aesthetics , but is probably "whiter" .. I would say to the tune of 75% .. mainly transplants from New York , New Jersey and Connecticut as well as "white flighters" from Miami Dade County . I would have to say Weston is more diverse and we would probably still live there , but we had a horse and the equestrian facilities are good in Parkland as well I work in Boca Raton so it is very close to Parkland . Agian tough choice we loved both places ... there are Marriott Hotels ( Heron Bay ) Parkland and Courtyard , and Residence Inn Weston .. do what we did .. check in for a weekend and get a feel for both places .

Good luck

Rock
thank you Rock you answered my where to stay question but not sure if its too far from weston? I absoultely agree about the schools...the realtor told me that Parkland is out of my price range for a rental and for a purchase, so I havent been concentrating on it too much...My son will be culture shocked im sure...our schools here are 93% white...either way dh and I are very involved parents which in my opinion is why our schools here where we live are as good as they are...we are Jewish and originally from NY and will fit in just fine in either place..thank you again for your great response..I think everyone just needs a little reassurance once in a while and just too much negative energy...just my opinion..I try to stay optomistic most of the time, but also have my eyes wide open as well.... right now we are slated for April 9th to the 15th...

Old 02-12-2009, 10:07 AM

2,113 posts, read 4,118,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
thank you Rock you answered my where to stay question but not sure if its too far from weston? I absoultely agree about the schools...the realtor told me that Parkland is out of my price range for a rental and for a purchase, so I havent been concentrating on it too much...My son will be culture shocked im sure...our schools here are 93% white...either way dh and I are very involved parents which in my opinion is why our schools here where we live are as good as they are...we are Jewish and originally from NY and will fit in just fine in either place..thank you again for your great response..I think everyone just needs a little reassurance once in a while and just too much negative energy...just my opinion..I try to stay optomistic most of the time, but also have my eyes wide open as well.... right now we are slated for April 9th to the 15th...
Parkland is a twenty - twenty five minute drive to Weston on the Saw Grass Expwy .. I do it all the time . If your son likes girls ( can't be to sure nowadays ? ) he will love the lovely Venezuelan girls in Weston

Prices have dropped in Parkland as well , what was your price range ?

If you are Jewish and from New York , you will fit into either city quite well

Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 AM

789 posts, read 2,143,457 times
Quote:
Parkland is a twenty - twenty five minute drive to Weston on the Saw Grass Expwy .. I do it all the time . If your son likes girls ( can't be to sure nowadays ? ) he will love the lovely Venezuelan girls in Weston

Westonzuela as a couple of my friends who are married to some fine Venezuelan ladies, would say.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:

girls well that seems to be his life these days or should I say DRAMA these days...LOL..but let me add he is a great kid..

my price range for a rental is 1700-2400 a month
Purchase 350k-400k now maybe a little more depending on how good of a deal I can get..LOL the asking price is just that...

Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM

188 posts, read 491,299 times
Berry,
Remember, my son came from 96% white and a total of 800 students in the public school.
Really, he has had no problem adjusting to Western.(Doesn't go to Cypress Bay due to the cap this year) His grades are just as good if not better than in PA. He is also in honors courses and would have been up north also.

Chelsa,
My neighbor who is a teacher at Cypress Bay said that all Weston kids will attend Cypress Bay next year. My son is not too happy. He really likes Western. But, once again, I know he will be fine.

I agree with Rock. I have found no problems with the school system here. I just want to understand the different experiences between public and private

I've got to get off this board, it is sucking up too much of my day!!! But it's fun reading all the great posts.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankev View Post
Berry,
Remember, my son came from 96% white and a total of 800 students in the public school.
Really, he has had no problem adjusting to Western.(Doesn't go to Cypress Bay due to the cap this year) His grades are just as good if not better than in PA. He is also in honors courses and would have been up north also.

Chelsa,
My neighbor who is a teacher at Cypress Bay said that all Weston kids will attend Cypress Bay next year. My son is not too happy. He really likes Western. But, once again, I know he will be fine.

I agree with Rock. I have found no problems with the school system here. I just want to understand the different experiences between public and private

I've got to get off this board, it is sucking up too much of my day!!! But it's fun reading all the great posts.

Tan I so hear ya!! but dh says this is very important..LOL while I do my laundry

Old 02-12-2009, 10:51 AM

11,511 posts, read 18,479,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankev View Post
Momma Bear,
I have read all your posts since we realized we would be moving to Weston back in May.
You have been consistent with your opinion with the Broward Co. school system (Weston), which I respect. (your opinion that is!)
Can you please tell me why you feel the way you do? So far my kids, one in high school and one in middle, are doing well. But should I find that they are falling behind I have no problem putting them in private. I would just like to know what your experiences with public and private have been. I think it would be good for those of us new to the area and those hoping to move to the area. I value your opinion.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
My experience is that the schools focus exclusively on the state tests. They work very hard on making sure that each and every child passes those tests. However, those tests are the BARE MINIMUM that students should know. So kids who are more advanced do not get that much more than what is on the state tests.

IMO it is ok to focus on the state tests and to isolate and help those who really need it, but there comes a time (middle and high school) where the actual content is more important than just learning skills like math and reading. Moreover, the schools act like once the tests are over the kids don't have to do anything.

I don't have anything against standardized testing. My kids take the SAT at American Heritage every year. However, the teachers do not focus on the SAT at all. The kids just show up and take the test. That's how standardized tests should work.

I have heard cases where college bound students did not get what they wanted in Cypress Bay because other people needed that class in order to graduate. The students are then just put in any old class because they need a class. Some of my sons friends say they cannot buy a hot lunch at school because it takes so long to buy lunch that by the time they get their food they have no time to eat it.

I don't think that students who are capable of much more than FCAT tests get what they really need to excel in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area