Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 06:42 PM

124 posts, read 440,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
There are a lot of locals who post here. Maybe one will back you up. It's not a conspiracy. No one is looking for an argument. In fact, quite the opposite; people are trying to help you out and give you a realistic picture. Being negative for the sake of being negative doesn't help us at all. We WANT people to move here - the more people here, the merrier. Not like we're trying to keep it all for ourselves!

I can see how it may seem different to people visiting this site. I joined about a little more than a year ago with a genuine interest to live in Fl and was greeted by alot of negativity (thank godness I am not easily swayed). We get it, people are jaded in parts of Florida, but I am too about NY, but there is good and there is bad no matter where you go. Right now the bad is EVERYWHERE! New York is coming apart at the seams.

I can honestly say that if homeowners are stuck in their homes in FL right now because they can't sell, completely bashing (the rudest people, the worst drivers, the worst crimes, the hottest place on earth, the worst economy and lets not get into the number of spanish-speaking people) the state in a site that may be a good source of potential qualified buyers is not the smartest way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Quote:
I can see how it may seem different to people visiting this site. I joined about a little more than a year ago with a genuine interest to live in Fl and was greeted by alot of negativity (thank godness I am not easily swayed). We get it, people are jaded in parts of Florida, but I am too about NY, but there is good and there is bad no matter where you go. Right now the bad is EVERYWHERE! New York is coming apart at the seams.

I can honestly say that if homeowners are stuck in their homes in FL right now because they can't sell, completely bashing (the rudest people, the worst drivers, the worst crimes, the hottest place on earth, the worst economy and lets not get into the number of spanish-speaking people) the state in a site that may be a good source of potential qualified buyers is not the smartest way to go.
Elvi ----

Agreed! So, if so many of us agree on a single point of view, trust it because we have every selfish reason in the book to be positive re South Florida. And, you'll find no one here complaining that there are no family friendly areas to live, or that it has lousy shopping, old decrepit infrastructure and crowded, dirty beaches. You repeatedly hear the same negative refrains because we're trying to help you out. Because they're true.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:11 PM

124 posts, read 440,593 times
Quote:
Elvi ----

Agreed! So, if so many of us agree on a single point of view, trust it because we have every selfish reason in the book to be positive re South Florida. And, you'll find no one here complaining that there are no family friendly areas to live, or that it has lousy shopping, old decrepit infrastructure and crowded, dirty beaches. You repeatedly hear the same negative refrains because we're trying to help you out. Because they're true.
I don't doubt that they're true. I actually take it in to consideration.

I had a very interesting experience during my trip a couple of weeks ago. I was coming out of a Denny's in Sunny Isles and was making a comment to my husband about someone saying something in Spanish and I was scared to death by an old man coming in he told me "THIS IS AMERICA, EVERYONE SHOULD SPEAK ENGLISH!!!" I wonder if people ever stop to think that if they weren't so rude, then maybe people would not be rude back!

Bad drivers, high prices, high crime - that's all going on in NY right now, yes, believe it or not, even the slew of hit-and-runs! Common sense just tells me that if I want to sell my house now I will not complain about the cold weather (some people love the cold), the driving distance to find a good shopping district (I grew up in Manhattan - I may be spoiled), the fact that its hard to make friends here because people are busy working to be able to afford where they live, that a daycare here costs about as much as a mortgage elsewhere, that we have the highest taxes in the nation in westchester (others may be able to afford this just fine!), etc, etc. I know there are plenty of happy people here.

It just seems that anytime there is someone a happy/positive post, it won't stay that way for long.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 PM

I grew up in Manhattan too - 77th and York. Where did you live? I loved growing up there.

My husband and I were talking tonight and we both said the thing we most both miss the most about NYC is simply being a pedestrian. We were fine when we were on Miami Beach, but when we moved to west Broward, we were pushing our luck. We've been here too many years now (10), and we're ready to go.

I'm sure it is bad there now and when it's bad in NYC, it's very bad - worse than here I'm sure. I left in the late 80's when the homelessness and trash on the street was horrendous. Miami Beach was a few years from exploding then and it was an exciting, cheap place to live.

If I were leaving NYC now, I'd consider other areas. It is expensive to live here and many are struggling to afford their now underwater homes. The property taxes are horrendous, as is homeowner's insurance. Neighbors can be cold - it is definitely a transient area. My kids lost good friends growing up because they moved.

On the positive side, I love wearing shorts in the winter, going to the beach at sunset, having a year-round tan and floating around in the pool.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:47 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Do you mean me?

Old 03-19-2009, 07:55 PM

Chels, I was talking to Elvi re growing up in nyc...did you grow up there too? Where at?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:30 PM

436 posts, read 1,088,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedg View Post
Im not saying I know better than you bud but Ive got friends that live in Ft Lauderdale that Ive asked about this before and they back me up on this. So its not based on just me visiting during those periods.

Ok Bud. Your friends must be right.

Signed,
Confused Native

Old 03-19-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of locals who post here. Maybe one will back you up. It's not a conspiracy. No one is looking for an argument. In fact, quite the opposite; people are trying to help you out and give you a realistic picture. Being negative for the sake of being negative doesn't help us at all. We WANT people to move here - the more people here, the merrier. Not like we're trying to keep it all for ourselves!

You trying to sell your house or something? IMO, what FL doesnt need are more people. I think it's a tad crowded as it is. Traffic? Congestion? Over-crowded schools? Crime? High cost of living? Why heck no! We havent had enought yet!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:39 PM

"Bad drivers, high prices, high crime - that's all going on in NY right now, yes, believe it or not, even the slew of hit-and-runs!"

Oh, we know! Everything that goes on in NY most certainly goes on in FL too. Except snow!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Not in the city but in Astoria. The city was affordable then (80's) it is just so expensive now - and yes fauve it is bad here with the economy - I am very thankful for my job right now. But I have to admit I haven't seen a squeegy man in over 10 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area