Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM

436 posts, read 1,088,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I grew up in Manhattan too - 77th and York. Where did you live? I loved growing up there.

My husband and I were talking tonight and we both said the thing we most both miss the most about NYC is simply being a pedestrian. We were fine when we were on Miami Beach, but when we moved to west Broward, we were pushing our luck. We've been here too many years now (10), and we're ready to go.

I'm sure it is bad there now and when it's bad in NYC, it's very bad - worse than here I'm sure. I left in the late 80's when the homelessness and trash on the street was horrendous. Miami Beach was a few years from exploding then and it was an exciting, cheap place to live.

If I were leaving NYC now, I'd consider other areas. It is expensive to live here and many are struggling to afford their now underwater homes. The property taxes are horrendous, as is homeowner's insurance. Neighbors can be cold - it is definitely a transient area. My kids lost good friends growing up because they moved.

On the positive side, I love wearing shorts in the winter, going to the beach at sunset, having a year-round tan and floating around in the pool.

Unfortunately, it's not just S FL anymore. Central FL (overall) is very much the same. Very transient, people moving all the time. New people moving in. Not very friendly, natives are gone, not much of a community feel to it like there once was.

I dont know how long you have lived in FL, but there used to be a lot more of a community feel to it, people were friendlier, atleast areas I am familiar with. A lot of people moved away, even ones we were friends with for just a short period of time now that we are a little older, move away too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:52 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
You trying to sell your house or something? IMO, what FL doesnt need are more people. I think it's a tad crowded as it is. Traffic? Congestion? Over-crowded schools? Crime? High cost of living? Why heck no! We havent had enought yet!
The economy here depends on people coming here. Our whole economy is service and consumer-based. If people stop coming, it's really all over.

More people need to live closer to where they work to lessen energy consumption and traffic maybe. There is actually a let up in the school age population for now and classes won't be as crowded now that a whole bunch of new schools have popped up. Crime is everywhere. The cost of living isn't high if you come here with money or with a good job.

How long has it been since you left South Florida?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 PM

^^^1999 or 2000.

I have to disagree about the school situation though, atleast in Central FL. I cant imagine the situation being any better in S FL, but perhaps it is... Orange Co has to cut $240m. That means cutting teachers and combining schools, making it even more crowded. All other surrounding counties like Seminole, Lake, Volusia, Osceola, Polk, and Flagler CO also have major cuts to make. The situation here in Central FL, is going to get worse.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 PM

1999/2000 is a long time ago...

Old 03-19-2009, 09:28 PM

I visit, I have family there. I know how things are down there. S FL has changed, in what way?

"IMO, what FL doesnt need are more people. I think it's a tad crowded as it is. Traffic? Congestion? Over-crowded schools? Crime? High cost of living? Why heck no! We havent had enought yet!"

^^^What about my quote is incorrect?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Well, your quote isn't so much my point. I addressed that in my last post. I just think it would be like my going to the NYC board and trashing NYC based on how it was when I lived there. I still visit, but I can't know what it's like to live there anymore. It would be presumptuous of me to do so.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 PM

I dont live in Asheville NC anymore either, but I still visit. I know that it is still a great place (IMO) to live, I know crime still remains pretty low, I know the people are still very friendly, I know that jobs should pay more due to the cost of living, I could go on and on... you get my point. I think people from NYC would probably know that if they didnt like it 10 yrs ago, they probably wouldnt like it now. It's still crowded, still expensive, and it is still cold, LOL.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:18 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Hop - I have to say in a nice way, I don't think there is any place on earth with no crime, no over crowded schools and no traffic. Unless you don't mind not getting paid real money. Usually, living in a place like this comes at that price. Are there places with less crime and less crowded schools sure! But I have to admit that the crime you speak of (at least what I think you are speaking of) are not that horrible to me. Don't get me wrong - I would love no crime is great, but I can tolerate petty theft over brutal crimes - do you know what I mean?

Damn - I just reread my post - it really is a shame that now it has become what is your tolerance level of crime - this really is awful but the truth nonetheless. I really feel your pain Hop- but honestly, what can we do about it. They should pass a law about paying it forward - it really is a nice motto to live by.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:30 AM

Right, I dont think there is a place with no crime either. I was simply stating in my post above that S FL is still crowded, with a high rate of crime, and too high of a C.O.L. for what the jobs pay. I certainly dont think I went out on a limb there.

Someone tries to tell me, "you havent lived here since 1999-2000, so you dont know what it's like NOW". I havent seen nor heard of any real positive changes going on there to make it any better than it was 10 yrs ago. In fact, I bet congestion and I know for an absolute fact that the C.O.L. is much higher than it used to be! Crime? I dunno. I know places like Boyton and Lake Worth are much worse than they used to be, just to name a few.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:38 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
I don't live there yet so, I can't say things with any certainty. I can understand though for you things must be night and day compared to when you were a kid. It is a little hard to adjust when the state (yours) grows at such a rapid pace and changes in such degrees that it has. I always remember NY being the way it is now - LOL. Except that when I was a kid apartments were less expensive. It has always looked the same to me though. Concrete City. I don't think you went out on a limb, but my point really was that everyone's tolerance level is different. Although I have never (knock wood) been a victim of a crime here (other than a pick pocketing), my tolerance is more than yours. What I heare about on tv is enough to make me think that having your bike stolen is not a big deal. But the reality is, that it is a big deal and sad really so sad. I'm in the same boat with you Hop on a lot of the stuff you are thinking, but I'm not sure there is much we can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area