Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:59 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,740,787 times

Advertisements

LOL - it's all love guys - i'm telling you guys the nastiness gets contagious - let's go back to smiles and sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,679,757 times
Compelled, I agree. And, fwiw, I get a kick out of your dry sense of humor!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:19 PM

20 posts, read 55,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
Less murders than Greenville in Tamarac and Sunrise? Weston I know is safe as well as Parkland and Coral Springs. BTW, of course you could find several cities in a huge region (S FL) that are statistically safer than Greenville. Greenville is a city. Some of the cities you mentioned are more like a larger version of Waterford Lakes. And you would be suprised how safe 95% of Greenville is, I bet you 3 of the 5 murders that happened in Greenville were in the housing projects. It is very, very easy to escape crime in Greenville SC, you just have to stay away from the housing projects where bad drug dealings claim a few lives per yr, but you wouldnt know as you have no familiarity with Greenville.
Well...being the OP in this topic and of course living in Greenville, I feel like I must speak up. Ok, yes the crime is a bit less in Greenville than other sub-cities of Ft. Lauderdale but that is only because it is FARRR smaller than any of the cities in Broward County. Most crimes are white-collared (copper theft and such) but rapes, robbing, murders, and others do happen in G-ville too! And it is not just in the housing projects-it happens anywhere/everywhere. More crime actually happens outside of stores and parks in ANY neighborhood! G-Ville does have that charm like "nothing bad could ever happen here" but it does and it can. Crime happens everywhere!

Like I said, I am moving mainly to be back home with family/friends in SouthFL, not for anything else but that. We did fall in love with Greenville and the cost of living and did also believe at first that no one could do any harm in this town, but it is possible and does happen!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:25 PM

You know what Bye - you don't have to explain yourself at all - you are doing what is best for you and your family and are aware of the living situations of SFL, since you were raised there. There is nothing that anyone can or should tell you that you don't already know and with that you still want to move back. Good for you and I'm happy for you and your family - I wish you luck in your hunt for work (unless of course you are a legal secretary and then we will have to duke it out - LOL).

Old 03-10-2009, 08:16 PM

436 posts, read 1,084,340 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
What S Florida lovers? This board has more neg S Florida posts by far.

Hoptoit, you come across so hostile to your former neighbors. Are you just looking for an argument? What is the point you're trying to make here? What is in it for you?
My former neighbors left S FL a long time ago. LOL. No really, I am upset how much S FL has changed and how bad it has gotten with the crime and the rude people, and the road rage. It ticks me off, and it really disappoints. I miss the way S FL used to be. I tried and tried to defend it at one point, but so many crimes and road rage incidents later, I cant really defend it anymore. It's no longer my cup of tea.

My beef is that some folks like to point out negatives about places like Greenville SC (where the OP lives now) and says things about it and they have never stepped foot in Greenville. Greenville is an awesome place, and it's got the residents to back it up. People are happy there and that says a lot about a place.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Default Greenville

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeFlorida View Post
Well...being the OP in this topic and of course living in Greenville, I feel like I must speak up. Ok, yes the crime is a bit less in Greenville than other sub-cities of Ft. Lauderdale but that is only because it is FARRR smaller than any of the cities in Broward County. Most crimes are white-collared (copper theft and such) but rapes, robbing, murders, and others do happen in G-ville too! And it is not just in the housing projects-it happens anywhere/everywhere. More crime actually happens outside of stores and parks in ANY neighborhood! G-Ville does have that charm like "nothing bad could ever happen here" but it does and it can. Crime happens everywhere!

Like I said, I am moving mainly to be back home with family/friends in SouthFL, not for anything else but that. We did fall in love with Greenville and the cost of living and did also believe at first that no one could do any harm in this town, but it is possible and does happen!
A member of my family is a cop in Greenville. It doesnt happen anywhere/everywhere. Yes, crime does/can happen anywhere, but you and I both know half of those murders (5 in a city of 60k people) is isolated in the projects. Some of those towns outside of FTL mentioned are not cities, but more like big subdivisions. Hard to compare.

But let me reiterate what I said before, family is the most important thing, and you should do what is best for you and your family

Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 PM

Hop, I can appreciate what you are saying, however, the SFL you remembered will probably never be again. It is quite unfortunate and I'm sure for you like a death of a friend. I understand, I often feel like that when I go back to MD, where I spent ages 11-16 and it is so different now. That being said, there are far worse places than SFL and when you have moved away from one place to go to another you can remember the place you left fondly and give people positive feed back while making them aware of the negative.

I guess being from NYC has its good points in the fact that Idon't consider the crime you guys have down there is a shock. I live my life pretty much looking over my shoulder, being cautious comes as second nature here. Not that you guys aren't cautious, but I can imagine that if you went from barely any crime to lots of petty crimes that would be pretty bothersome. Unfortunately, that is just a reaction to growth. It is what happens when places grow.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 PM

Good post, Chelsa. It sucks when places change like they do. I guess that is why I would rather choose to live in a place that hasnt changed like S FL has. I know of places in the Southeast that remind me of how Florida used to be. The Florida now is in no way like the FL of old, atleast in my opinion. You can fight it and deny it, but when it comes down to it, it's better just to face the facts and realize that places change, and I dont think any other state has seen change like FL has, and I dont like most of the changes that have occured. I guess it's not so much the place as it is the people that have made the change.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:32 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,679,757 times
Yay, I get to say something positive here. There is no comparison in crime between NYC and S Florida. In fact, I only started keeping my door locked here in the last year because the economy has me a little nervous and feeling a bit more vulnerable...but I'm sure that's psychological. In 21 years of living here, I have never felt threatened.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,798,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post

My beef is that some folks like to point out negatives about places like Greenville SC (where the OP lives now) and says things about it and they have never stepped foot in Greenville. Greenville is an awesome place, and it's got the residents to back it up. People are happy there and that says a lot about a place.
1. You can't prove anything with blanket statements like "people are happy there".
2. I have in fact stepped foot in Greenville. They have probably the most stunningly beautiful downtown I have ever seen in a city of that size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area