Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:52 AM

98 posts, read 471,078 times

Advertisements

that is right, I meant to say per month not per 1/4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:20 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy7890 View Post
Hi Again Everyone!

It looks like we're back to considering Weston as a place to live. After all the feedback from everyone it appears that the drive from Parkland to Medley might be too far to commute everyday. My husband would like to be home at a reasonable time in the evening so maybe living closer, like Weston, is best. Anyway....

Here are a few more questions:

Preschools in Weston--need some recommendations on preschools (we do not want a 'daycare' please). My daughter is 3 yos and I'm looking for a school environment as opposed to a 'daycare'. Something she can attend maybe 2-3 times a week from 9-12.

Elementary schools-- Is there one specific elementary school that we MUST be zoned for?

Private schools--Comparing AH and Sagemont it seems Sagemont is less expensive. Is there a reason for that? Do each provide bus service for kindergarten. Is one better than the other? Are they commutable from Weston?Any catholic schools to look at?

Churches: Are there any church goers on? Looking for a nice catholic or presbyterian church. Also, where we currently live there are a few churches that do a "Morning Out for Mothers" program. Does anyone know of such a program?

Housing Developments-- Are there housing developments in Weston that have a reasonable HOA fee? We don't need a golf course (which ups the HOA). Any nice, upscale developments? We have a budget of $500K for a house. Looking for 4-5 bedroom/pool home.

TIA!
Many preschools operate as both school and daycare. You can choose the number of days and the amount of time your child attends in most places. My son went to Adventure Bay which is on the corner of Weston Rd. and SR 84. We were very happy with it there.

At AB the school day ran from 9-12 or 9-1 depending on the ages of the kids. Before and after care were also available. They pick up at the local elementary schools for aftercare so there are elementary school aged kids there in the afternoon. You can do 3 days a week there. My son attended 3 days a week when he was there.

My older kids are at AH (7th, 9th grade). We chose AH because we wanted all of the extracurricular activities there. My middle son is very into music, my older one is a good athlete. We did not feel Sagemont had enough of the additional activities. We did not examine it with regard to academics because without a football team and marching band our kids would not be happy.

Public elementary schools are better than elsewhere in Broward. I think they are all ok. My kids were at Imagine Charter (I still have a 4th grader there). We were happy with it.

I am Jewish so I can't help with churches, except to say that there are churches here.

What is reasonable as far as HOA? You should have no trouble finding a nice house in your price range.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:43 AM

99 posts, read 304,155 times
A great pre-school that many from Weston go to, and actually, its reputation is so good, it attracts parents from as far as Miramar, is Parkway Christian Pre-School in Southwest Ranches. My son has been a pupil there for two years, and everybody from the Principal down is wonderful, amazing and great. They also participate in the PreK-4 program provide by the state, teach Spanish, have a nice small-community feel and they care about every child. We will miss them when my boy goes on to Kindergarden.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:40 AM

77 posts, read 297,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaLaczko View Post
A great pre-school that many from Weston go to, and actually, its reputation is so good, it attracts parents from as far as Miramar, is Parkway Christian Pre-School in Southwest Ranches. My son has been a pupil there for two years, and everybody from the Principal down is wonderful, amazing and great. They also participate in the PreK-4 program provide by the state, teach Spanish, have a nice small-community feel and they care about every child. We will miss them when my boy goes on to Kindergarden.
Attila--Wow, 3 people have told me about Parkway Christian so I am definitly going to check it out. Would you say it's a reasonable commute from Weston? Currently my daughter attends a preschool which is 30 minutes away and I sometimes feel that by the time I drop her off I have to turn around and pick her up. I'm looking for something with a shorter commute time.

Do you happen to know if they have a part time program. I'm looking for something 3 days a week for 3 hours.

Thank you again!

Old 03-15-2009, 01:08 PM

995 posts, read 3,929,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy7890 View Post
Attila--Wow, 3 people have told me about Parkway Christian so I am definitly going to check it out. Would you say it's a reasonable commute from Weston? Currently my daughter attends a preschool which is 30 minutes away and I sometimes feel that by the time I drop her off I have to turn around and pick her up. I'm looking for something with a shorter commute time.

Do you happen to know if they have a part time program. I'm looking for something 3 days a week for 3 hours.

Thank you again!
1. Parkway is near Flamingo exit of I-595. It's about 5-15 minute drive from Weston depending on where you live. I live at the west end of Weston near the Everglades and it takes 15 minutes. The good thing is that the school starts at 8:45 am and there's no traffic at that time.

2. They don't have 3 hour program. The shortest is 8:45 am till 12:45 pm. You must pack lunch for your kid every day. They have 5-day, 2-day, 3-day programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area