Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 AM

48 posts, read 130,847 times

Advertisements

i live an hour north of detroit, and all i can say is this is the most depression place in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 06:44 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
I dont know if it is unhappy, or just mad. But there's something in South FL that seems to attract the mad and rude. And things like crime, crazy drivers, rude people, and less white people are definitely legit reasons to leave S FL. I can name a lot of people (family and friends) that have left for those exact reasons!

Also, there are tons of survery like this one out there. Miami has a lot of miserable and angry people, and I am shocked it's not on the list. Go to Atlanta (ranked 10th) and visit Miami and you tell me.
I will never understand what the infatuation is with Atlanta from some people on these forums ... I travel there at least three times a year , have friends in Alpharetta ... no big deal . Crime is as bad or worse than Miami , traffic is a quagmire , air quality sucks , race relations are tense .. "phony " nice what church ya' all go to mentality ... you want genuinely
nice take the shirt of your back people .. go to South Texas . I find the Northern burbs of Atlanta like Alpharetta , John's Creek and Roswell to be brain numbingly boring ... cookie cutter homes , the same strip malls over and over ... the only truly beautiful places in Atlanta are Mid Town and Buckhead .. again Atlanta is just ok , I much prefer Charlotte if that is the case .

Old 03-10-2009, 06:47 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Ok, I'll try here, but I gather you don't even live here anymore - Why are you coming here to complain about what you didn't like? Why not just be happy somewhere else and leave well enough alone? Plus specifying race as a reason to move is at the very least - really rude.
fauve ... I agree I will never understand why someone would leave South Florida and continue to bash it from what ever locale they have moved too ?

That tells me that people who do that and there are many on this forum are miserable in their new setting as well and will be miserable anywhere they live .

Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 AM

6 posts, read 66,683 times
Thank you for that comment, I am bi-lingual, and proud to be.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 10,704 times
I am thinking of emigrating to Fort Lauderdale.However reading this forum and some if not most peoples disgust with SF MAKES ME VERY WORRIED.iN FACT IT KIND OFF MAKES ME THINK IF GOING TO aMERICA IS SUCH A GOOD THING.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 AM

294 posts, read 1,149,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris _South Africa View Post
I am thinking of emigrating to Fort Lauderdale.However reading this forum and some if not most peoples disgust with SF MAKES ME VERY WORRIED.iN FACT IT KIND OFF MAKES ME THINK IF GOING TO aMERICA IS SUCH A GOOD THING.
Chris - rest assured that most people in So Flo do not think like this. For some reason, the negativity mongers have hijacked this forum and represent a strong vocal minority. There are cons to living here, like living anywhere, but most of them are exaggerated (IMO).

There are other reasons why I might discourage you from coming to America as opposed to other places (like Europe), but that's another story.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:22 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,062 times
"cookie cutter homes , the same strip malls over and over ..."

Wow, coming from a FL resident, that seems kind of odd to talk about Northern Atlanta and how the homes are cookie-cutter and same strip malls over and over and over again. LOL. But atleast they do have some hills and other scnery to look at.

You have to admit, even if you think Alpharetta, Roswell and Johns Creek are "boring" and nothing but strip malls and cookie-cutter homes (interesting concept as that is exactly how many ppl describe FL), you have to admit that the hills and scenery is far prettier than flat land and billboards that line FL streets. And, the people are definitely nicer, that too is very evident.

Last edited by HopToIt; 03-10-2009 at 11:33 AM..

Old 03-10-2009, 01:35 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
Quote:
fauve ... I agree I will never understand why someone would leave South Florida and continue to bash it from what ever locale they have moved too ?
^^^Rock

My theory, using this case as an example, is that she left South Florida when housing prices in Georgia were at their height and is now doing her part to keep people moving there. Only problem with this tactic is that even if we wanted to move to Georgia, we can't, because none of us can sell our homes. The flood from South Florida to NC, et al, is over, at least for now, probably for good - white flight has done flown...

Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
HopToIt>

The difference is that South Florida is not boring like Atlanta. There is far more to do here. And while the landscape is flat here, we have the Atlantic Ocean and beaches as well as the FL Everglades. Also, we do not have smog in the air and it is sunny here often while cloudy in Atlanta. I have family in Atlanta, and have visited there numerous times. You literally cannot walk through the downtown area without being hassled at every corner by the homeless for change. It makes walking the streets of downtown Miami a cakewalk, and Miami is pretty bad.

As far as cookie-cutter homes and strip malls, both Atlanta and South FLorida have tons of those. I think that SOuth Florida has far more small businesses than the greater Atlanta area does, but most are in the Miami area not in Broward County. And as far as the people being nice in Atlanta, it is a very fake nice. I'd rather people be real with me than put on a show and talk crap behind my back.

The article I referenced for this post gave reasons why Atlanta is so depressed. One of the reasons was the weather, which stinks. The traffic was rated poorly and the crime was rated 2nd worst. I recognize that the suburbs are probably less crime and less traffic than the inner city, but that is true anywhere including south florida. The suicide rate was another factor, and South Florida has very few compared to our overall crime rate. Like I said originally, you can talk a lot of trash about South FLorida, but one thing you cannot say is that it is "depressing". There is nothing depressing here. Its usually sunny.

Last edited by Nolefan34; 03-10-2009 at 08:59 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 08:25 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,062 times
Ok, maybe most in S FL arent depressed, so I'll got with "mad." It seems like a lot of ppl in S FL are "mad."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area