U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2007, 12:22 AM

4 posts, read 62,031 times
Question places to live near ft. lauderdale?

i just graduated from college and am planning to relocate to the ft. lauderdale area (from new york like everyone else!). my boyfriend has a job in Davie so we were looking for something with a reasonable commute (30 min?). we found a place in north lauderdale that looks nice but i was wondering if this is too far. we also wanted to be in a relatively young area and i have no idea where to look for that in florida. our budget is around 700-1000/mo but we don't need anything fancy (just clean and safe). any suggestions would be wonderful and very much appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:12 AM

326 posts, read 965,052 times
Hi Alexa, I hope you will find south florida a nice place to live. You have maybe already read otehr threads and you see there are many different opinions. I have lived in Fort Lauderdale and now in Hollywood for 11 years. I am little tired of the traffic and the need of driving everywhere, and I really can not take the heat in the summer. Other than that, I like South Florida, and I hope you will like it too.

Traffic is a major stressor here. So if your job is in Davie, and you have a limited budget, then stay there. You can always move to the coast when you are ready to start setting up some equity. On the other hand, if you can, do not postpone buying too long. This is the right time to do it. When the market reassests itself, you may not be able to do it anymore.

Good cities to live in your situation are, besides Davie, Cooper City and Pembroke Pines. They are close to your job, but not too far from the beaches. If you have to rent somewhere else, try at least to have to use the Turnpike rather than I95 to commute.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:34 AM

166 posts, read 690,304 times
There's not much out there for that price on the lower end. Perhaps $1000 may get you a very, super small apt. I do know of a guy that is renting a studio for $750. It's just a small room. They might have some government subsidized housing if you qualify. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:45 AM

thanks for the input. it's nice to hear some encouraging opinions after reading all the horror stories!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:47 AM

one more question. any thoughts on dania beach versus sunrise?? i found some nice affordable places in both cities and wanted to know if anyone could give me an idea what they are like. thanks again.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 11,614 times
My husband & I are currently living in Oviedo with our 17yrold daughter. We moved here from Alabama 3yrs ago for my husbands job & came here having no family or friends anywhere around. My daughter is starting her Senior yr in August & we hate to move but my husbands job is requiring him to do so. We are looking for something near Fortlauderdale maybe Boca Routon. We want a safe place to live & a Grade A school System area. We want an area with low crime rates & a top notch school. Please give us any ideas you may have. We are having to up & leave everything & everyone once again & this is very hard to do. any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks Amanda

Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,267,274 times
Weston

Old 07-02-2011, 07:36 PM

10 posts, read 20,544 times
Me and my boyfriend are moving in early august to south florida and need some help. I will be working in Hollywood or West Palm beach, and he will be working whereever he can find a job. Any suggestions on GOOD, SAFE, affordable areas to live anywhere from Fort Lauderdale to West palm? Just looking for a one bedroom, anywhere from 700-1000 a month. Would prefer a apartment complex. I keep reading terrible things, but i hope someone has some helpful advice! Thanks!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:59 PM

3,034 posts, read 4,110,112 times
Ok first of all, avoid North Lauderdale, Lauderhill, Lauderdale lakes, and Fort Lauderdale. Those are very bad areas. Don't be fooled by the low rent prices. There is a reason rents are so cheap there. You get what you pay for.

Weston is out of the OP's price range. It is a great area, but not the most affordable.

Davie is the best option if the OP can find something in that price range. Pembroke Pines and Sunrise are also areas to check out since they're safe communities and the rent prices are lower than Davie. Also check out Plantation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area