Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 04:57 PM

565 posts, read 1,253,773 times

Advertisements

I'm needing some input on housing. I would much prefer to find a house with 3BR/2BA, but I'll do an apartment if I have to. I'm only looking at rentals for the time being. I've read online of 2/2 apartments going for as little as $800/mo., but I'm needing an extra bedroom. If I can be closer to the water and FTL, so much the better (I'd be working downtown FTL, so I don't want to commute if I don't have to). If I had my choice, I'd prefer a house closer to the water, but if the prices are too much, then I could do the apartment closer to the water. Last option is apartment far from the water and town. I don't mind being outside of FTL proper if it means a lower rental price (but I don't want to have to see drug dealers and prostitutes in the street outside my windows, either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I'm needing some input on housing. I would much prefer to find a house with 3BR/2BA, but I'll do an apartment if I have to. I'm only looking at rentals for the time being. I've read online of 2/2 apartments going for as little as $800/mo., but I'm needing an extra bedroom. If I can be closer to the water and FTL, so much the better (I'd be working downtown FTL, so I don't want to commute if I don't have to). If I had my choice, I'd prefer a house closer to the water, but if the prices are too much, then I could do the apartment closer to the water. Last option is apartment far from the water and town. I don't mind being outside of FTL proper if it means a lower rental price (but I don't want to have to see drug dealers and prostitutes in the street outside my windows, either).
You need to give a specific intersection or something where you'll be working to calculate the commute etc. FLL "proper" can be over 30 minutes drive going S - N ime.

I only know FLL and directly east Tamarac. (other people know s/w of other FLL "suburbs" and have recommended different areas)...

So I'll say in Tamarac there are many many 2 bedrooms but also some 3 bedrooms. Alot of the 2 bedrooms have also renovated from a screened/glass porch to be an actual room they use for family room or bedroom. It's 20-30 minutes though.

You could find one listed as a 2 BR with "family room" ...that means it's usable for a bedroom when it's a finished room but maybe not having the legal closet or something. Most of the ones I saw had a door between that "family room" and the interior which is normally the kitchen. You may not be comfortable having your kid in there but there is not always a door to the outside so it's safe enough just kinda wierd having a kid sleeping off the kitchen when the rest of the family is in a different "wing".The sizes range up to about 1500-1700 sq ft in Mainlands Tamarac 33321. for the largest ones. Some 2 BR are as small as 850 sq ft. Half of the 12 or so sections there are 55 + last time I checked. This is on University and west of University.

You also MUST come down and check the current status way ahead of time because each neighborhood is "changing". What had 2 seniors living in it can have 8 all ages in it now, thanks to indiscriminate renting just to make a mortgage payment.

They are few and far between in the 1000-1300 range in 33321. Realtor dot com has only 3 for 1250. You can go look online, all three are nice (two are condos though) and I thought those neighborhoods were 55 + but maybe I'm wrong.

It's tough, I'm not kidding you. I'd find something for 1400 and offer 1000 and see if it'll fly. It's not unheard of if they want a tenant.

Realtor dot com gives you the most MLS listings. Craigslist is ALOT OF SCAMS ( I lost 2400 to one) but also some REAL properties includind realtors posting there.

You can check Wilton Manors FL. It's "actually" FLL but broke off to be independent. It's in town. It's known as gay friendly, for me that's a good thing meaning the residents work to make it a nice place and walkable. But I don't know each street well enough to be able to tell by looking on Realtor dot com.

I would make contact with a realtor who can keep an eye out. You want one who shows some enthusiasm and interest there are MANY who are a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area