Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:51 PM

259 posts, read 840,595 times

Advertisements

The only thing that makes me think that you will HALF-WAY like it down here is the fact that you will have the support of your family. Other than that, I am scrunching my face up. I agree with all others, it's expensive to raise a child here and you will want to make sure you have a decent paying job. There is a small "true" middle class.
Professionally, I am not sure if this is really even an issue for you but if you are used to and are looking to surround yourself with other black professionals, I must say that it can be quite a challenge. Other major cities do not have this problem as much. I work in Accounting and I literally have 2 other black women in my entire office and there are zero black men in any of the departments. You may get lucky and find a company that has a few more but I'm not sure.Of course I enjoy working with everybody but my friends all agree that it gets lonely if you are used to having a few more people that you can relate to on a professional level (happy hours, ect).
Which now leads me to the men down here. Unless you are looking to date interacially (which as a black woman can turn into a whole new subject) there will be problems. The women outweigh the men and the men are VERY aware of this. Like I said before, there are not very many black men on the job so you might be stuck having to lower your standards. There are some good ones out there but it's not a smooth ride down love lane down here. Trust me.
The only positive points are the weather, the interesting festivals, the beaches, and uh...that's about it. You may find that you have a more positive experience so I don't want to completely deter you. But seriously, as a middle-class AA S. Florida is not that great of a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:23 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Great points Nikki. Glad you chymed in on that. However, she should see if this place would suit her first, then take it from there.

There are Caribbean men down here that are successful, but you are right. The pickings are slim. It's like Atlanta from what my friends and relatives say. The women outnumber the men, and the guys have the upper hand.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:59 AM

7 posts, read 17,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947 View Post
The only thing that makes me think that you will HALF-WAY like it down here is the fact that you will have the support of your family. Other than that, I am scrunching my face up. I agree with all others, it's expensive to raise a child here and you will want to make sure you have a decent paying job. There is a small "true" middle class.
Professionally, I am not sure if this is really even an issue for you but if you are used to and are looking to surround yourself with other black professionals, I must say that it can be quite a challenge. Other major cities do not have this problem as much. I work in Accounting and I literally have 2 other black women in my entire office and there are zero black men in any of the departments. You may get lucky and find a company that has a few more but I'm not sure.Of course I enjoy working with everybody but my friends all agree that it gets lonely if you are used to having a few more people that you can relate to on a professional level (happy hours, ect).
Which now leads me to the men down here. Unless you are looking to date interacially (which as a black woman can turn into a whole new subject) there will be problems. The women outweigh the men and the men are VERY aware of this. Like I said before, there are not very many black men on the job so you might be stuck having to lower your standards. There are some good ones out there but it's not a smooth ride down love lane down here. Trust me.
The only positive points are the weather, the interesting festivals, the beaches, and uh...that's about it. You may find that you have a more positive experience so I don't want to completely deter you. But seriously, as a middle-class AA S. Florida is not that great of a place to live.

Hey Nikki,

Again you are right, i was a little harsh with my reply to this thread earlier, but i had to be, i wish someone told this to me before i moved down here.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:11 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Hey Nikki and Mister - how is everyone? I haven't been on here in forever it seems - I have to say it doesn't look like much changed - LOL - it is still really funny to me when people speak about how expensive florida is, especially to people coming from NYC - I do understand what you guys are saying (believe) me, but on the other hand I can completely understand why someone from NYC would think that you were crazy for thinking SFL is so expensive. That being said NO NY'er should think it is cheap to be in SFL either - it isn't. I have put my plans of moving there off for at least one year. The job situation is just very, very grim at this point. As a responsible parent, I can't honestly just get up and move without a job that actually pays something. No offense to those making 12$ an hour, but that is not real money and I'm not sure how people survive on that - and I know they do, but it can't possibly be comfortably at least IMO. I hope things get better and that I will be able to make the move next summer. I will definitely keep you guys updated on this. I hope you all are doing well!

Old 05-01-2009, 04:13 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Hey Chelz, how are you doing?

I know NYC is not cheap, but the point that Wild Style and I have tried to make in the past, was that the pay for many in NYC is more realistic than it is down here. Comparing apples to apples, overall people in the same profession make more in NYC, and actually get by better than many do here.

There are many variables that can start a heated and informative debate about which is better, but that's not what I'm trying to start. Down here, some things will hit you hard if you're not doing well. (House prices, homeowner's insurance, taxes, etc.). There are other expenses that are obligatory here that are optional in NYC. (i.e car ownership, etc)...

I'm not trying to revive the debate, but glad you're staying put until you can afford to make the move. My intentions were never to prevent anyone from making a move. I just like to ask questions that will make the poster think twice, while trying to keep a balanced opinion on things, even though I'm not too fond of Florida myself.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:50 PM

259 posts, read 840,595 times
Shouts out to Chelsa! I think you made a smart decision by waiting until the economy levels out a bit more down here. I definitely think you should still experience it if all works out and continue to follow up and do your research. You might be surprised at how it changes. Honestly I think you would enjoy S. Florida 10 times more when it calms down and goes through another level of "growing pains". We are in the crazy/emotional/unruly "teenage" stage. LOL I definitely also want to address that I think S. Florida is much cheaper than NY/NJ BUT because of the low wages you have a better chance of living comfortably up North if you play your cards right. Of course cards are cards anywhere you go though so at the end of the day Good Luck!!!

Old 05-03-2009, 02:03 PM

I know - and I hope I didn't come off anyway, when I said that, cuz at this point I do agree with you somewhat. I hope that things get better and that I will some day be able to move. I just know that Florida is not the place I can move to right now. Although they are saying we are beginning to come out of this thing, but why are the houses still inflated in Florida - it is amazing to me that they think that Florida residence can sustain these prices.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:07 PM

Thanks Nikki - I hope things do make a change for the better. I'm just not willing to take the chance right now. All things happen for a reason. You are right about the wages - but damn the prices they pay - i really don't know how people function. It is no wonder they get some lazy people. Who wants to kill themselves for that pay - I know I wouldn't!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,139 times
I moved from NJ, outside of Phila 12 yrs ago. Moved as an engaged person, now am a single mother of a 7 and 9 yr old (for 7yrs...u do the math). I am a professional so can "afford " my life. As for dating , I think it is the same here as other places, so I hear from my friends all over the country. I do think family (that will help) is important but u know ur family, I don't. It does take time to develop friendships, anywhere u move to. Having no real history makes it a bit difficult but with that said, I have great friends and neighbors....it takes about 3 yrs to really establish relationships but with kids, it is easier to meet others. As a women, we NEED other women in our life and can have "chosen" family. We get what we put out......

Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 PM

17 posts, read 41,691 times
Wendalah,

Mr. New york gave you some good advice. There are nmany pros and cons to N.Y versus Fl, but having grown up in N.Y. for 29 years. I have lived in many different places, Florida is not half bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area