Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
There is far more things going on in NYC than just those museums and statue of liberty though. To each his own though I guess, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 9,051 times
Default Miami is better...than Lauderdale if ur used to New York style

Quote:
There is far more things going on in NYC than just those museums and statue of liberty though. To each his own though I guess, right?
Hey guys I'm new to the messageboard, interested in Lauderdale cause im gay, a professional photographer and in my early 20's but its looking dismal to me.
Wild-Style you seem so unhappy with Fort Lauderdale...
I've been reading you guys convo cause I was thinking of moving to Fort Lauderdale.. But I was kind of opposed because I used to live in Miami and it seems way more exciting and pedestrian friendly.... I too am a native New Yorker, but had the best of both worlds from living both upstate Ny, and the city.
I feel your pain cause Lauderdale does look alil slow...
Its seem like only old people are there.
My question to you wild style is if your so miserable do you see your self staying there much longer? If I were you I would make some plans to bounce in the next year, cause life is so short. But I don't know your situation, so you may be in a tight spot without much choice.
Still like Mamma said it doesn't seem like there is anything positive about it to you.. I'm sorry man...
I love the beach but I too love the variety of Ny. Its either miami or nyc for me at last in Miami you don't need a car as much!!!
Do you guys think someone like me would fair better in MIAMI???? I think so....

Old 08-02-2009, 10:25 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
Actually lately Fort Lauderdale has become more appealing to me. I think it's becoz I sold my house and I'm moving again. If I had to choose the ideal place for you, kidd, it would be Miami Beach.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:13 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetkidd View Post
Hey guys I'm new to the messageboard, interested in Lauderdale cause im gay, a professional photographer and in my early 20's but its looking dismal to me.
Wild-Style you seem so unhappy with Fort Lauderdale...
I've been reading you guys convo cause I was thinking of moving to Fort Lauderdale.. But I was kind of opposed because I used to live in Miami and it seems way more exciting and pedestrian friendly.... I too am a native New Yorker, but had the best of both worlds from living both upstate Ny, and the city.
I feel your pain cause Lauderdale does look alil slow...
Its seem like only old people are there.
My question to you wild style is if your so miserable do you see your self staying there much longer? If I were you I would make some plans to bounce in the next year, cause life is so short. But I don't know your situation, so you may be in a tight spot without much choice.
Still like Mamma said it doesn't seem like there is anything positive about it to you.. I'm sorry man...
I love the beach but I too love the variety of Ny. Its either miami or nyc for me at last in Miami you don't need a car as much!!!
Do you guys think someone like me would fair better in MIAMI???? I think so....
You and I have a lot in common. I am from Brooklyn, I do I.T. work and also do photography (both as a hobby and as a business).

As to am I miserable down here? Well, it isn't that I am miserable down here, it is that what I look for in a city, Fort Lauderdale does not have it to offer. I love being able to wake up and hop a train and head uptown (or wherever it is I am going). I love the walkability of a city designed more for the pedestrian than the auto-centric. As a artist (photographer) I love being able to go to museums and take in cultural activities. I also love human interaction. Lastly I absolutely love cool weather and I absolutely hate humidity.

So its not that I do not like South Florida, it honestly isnt a bad place. Its just that, what I want out of life this place doesn't have it to offer. As I always say to each his own.

As for will I leave? Well I don't know. Things are really bad now economically (in my personal life things are actually good financially). So I don't know that I would be able to start up my photog business back home (brooklyn) fast enough to support myself or if I would be able to find a I.T. job up north that would allow me to take care of the bills until I could get my business back up again.

If the oppurtunity presented itself though, yes I would definitly leave South Florida in a heart beat. I have no ties here, and I honestly don't care about the place (if it survives or not). Well let me take that back, as long as I am stuck here I care about if S. Florida does good or not but if I can leave then this place would be dead to me. It isn't the same with NYC, I don't live there anymore yet I still keep up with the news and hope for the best for that city. Then again it is my hometown though.

I do believe I am stuck here for a long time though given what I think is going to happen in the economy over the long run. So I do plan to relocate to Miami. Just because I think it is economically more viable than Fort Lauderdale and they seem to have a LOT more of what I am looking for than Fort Lauderdale does. At least in the areas I find appealing in Miami.

As for Miami and you, you just have to come and visit. I think you would be ok if you stay east of 95 and go no further south than coconut grove and no further north than say the upper east side, or even S. Beach. IF I had to stay here then I would definitly make Miami my home. I am there quiet often and have friends down there. Miami is culturally light years ahead of broward but not as savvy as NYC. But you do get the tropical thing (if that indeed is your thing). Also they do have semi train system that they will be extending. A lot of people complain about the latinos on Miami but I think those are just angry anglos. I don't have those hang ups and everytime I go down to Miami people speak and are nice. Also I like the cuban mentality, have not seen much fakeness from the people there. It is what it is, you do something stupid in your car, they call you on it etc. Reminds of the city a lot. Anyway, best wishes man, hope you make the right decision whatever it you decide.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 PM

Thank you so much for your input... I think I will be deciding on Miami...but then again Fort Lauderdale isn't too far from Miami right... And yes I LOVE TROPICAL weather and I hate winters....

Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 PM

People are telling me MIA is a alot less safer.. I have lived in MIA once but for a short stint.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetkidd View Post
People are telling me MIA is a alot less safer.. I have lived in MIA once but for a short stint.
a lot less safer? Depends on where you are. Lets compare apples to apples here. I mean look at Brickell, which is near downtown Miami. If you look at comparable areas in Downtown Fort Lauderdale i would put them at about the same when it comes to safety. Same thing if I were to compare parts of south beach to comparable areas on the beach in Fort lauderdale. Everything is relative and also unless the person telling you this is living in miami right now (and not telling you stories from when they lived in Miami back in 1970 something) I wouldn't take what they are saying seriously.

I am in Miami very often and have never had any issues. I did a shoot in Lincoln Road on South Beach a few months back and had a LOT of equipment on me that night and not once did I feel threatened. Also had a buddy who was doing club photography down there and he also had some decent gear on him and he didn't have issues either. I take my wife and kid out to eat in Miami and we hit museums up and go to S. Beach ever so often too and not once did I ever have a issue.

The only times I have had issues in S. Florida was once in a area just off of downtown Fort Lauderdale when someone screamed out something racist, Once in Downtown Hollywood when i saw a person expose himself oh and one day I woke up to find my car sitting on bricks ala (NYC 1980s style) and I live in one of the "decent" suburbs in the west of Ft. Lauderdale.

I also have family friends in N. Miami, Aventura, Little Havana and they love it and have not had problems.

Anyway best of luck man.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:58 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
a lot less safer? Depends on where you are. Lets compare apples to apples here.
Good post.

I have also seen more crime in action in Broward than in Miami Dade. Also my credit card number was stolen there at a gas station, never in Miami where I live. Also Broward tends to attract the worst transplants, anglos & second, and third generation latinos, those who are too good to live in Miami. Bitter people who are never happy regardless where they live. Eventually they move to Orlando, which has the same issue, if not worse. I'm not surprised that happened to you Wild.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,379 times
I had a job oppourtunity to make 30k more a year in NYC, I ended up turning it down b/c quite frankly I think I would be intimidated being alone and by myself. I also couldn't pay $2000 + a month to live in a cracker jack box. I would think living in NYC would be inconvenient, some people just don't know it becuase they are so used to having to take trains and taxi cabs everywhere and paying high prices for housing is the norm.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
I had a job oppourtunity to make 30k more a year in NYC, I ended up turning it down b/c quite frankly I think I would be intimidated being alone and by myself. I also couldn't pay $2000 + a month to live in a cracker jack box. I would think living in NYC would be inconvenient, some people just don't know it becuase they are so used to having to take trains and taxi cabs everywhere and paying high prices for housing is the norm.
This is off topic but I assure you, people who pay 2,000 a month in NYC can afford it. There are far more affordable accommodations in NYC too though. As I always say, I can go get a three bedroom in Brooklyn right now for 1,000 a month in what is now called Stuyvesant Heights. There is a lady on these forums who is paying 750 a month for a one bedroom in Queens (her and her husband) so don't believe the hype about rents in NYC. Also, don't ever be afraid to accept a good opportunity. Look at it this way, MILLIONS of people do it (Live in nyc) everyday and they are still alive and kicking so I am sure you would have been fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area