Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 PM

33 posts, read 91,826 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are 26/27 with a 1.5 year old baby. We moved to Boca Raton in 2004 and then to Wellington in 2008. We are still unhappy.

In Boca, people were much older and very unfriendly. We would go to the dog park in Boca and Delray and there were never people within 10 years of our age and people stayed in their own pocket around the park and wouldn't talk to anyone else.

In wellington, it is a bit younger, but still mostly well older than us, the okeeheelee dog park does not have young people, and again, unfriendly. My wife has tried mommy and me groups and everyone is 38+ and standoffish. The play area in the wellington mall is again filled with much older, unfriendly people, and hicks.

Would we have better luck finding intelligent, friendly people in Fort Lauderdale around our age? We have tons of hobbies including, reading, boardgaming, video gaming, pingpong/tennis, photography, animal lovers(2 dogs and 2 cats), and others.

We have also considered moving back to New Jersey, where I grew up. The mentality in Florida just seems to be to that people keep to themselves, are hicks, or don't speak english. The problem is, Jersey is expensive and cold/dark(for 8 months of the year).

Checking out area from red bank-new brunswick-scotchplains-jersey city-caldwell and others in about a week.

What do you guys think? We'd love to stay in florida for the weather and the cheap living, but we just hate never seeing people our own age and the fact that people just aren't friendly down here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 02:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
You will get paid more and more job opportunities in NJ, you will have more young people around you, and you child with receive a better education in NJ.

I am a New Yorker saying this.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:40 PM

My wife is an English teacher. I have heard it is very hard to get a teaching job in NJ.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:19 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
You will get paid more and more job opportunities in NJ, you will have more young people around you, and you child with receive a better education in NJ.

I am a New Yorker saying this.
If New Jersey was so great , you would not have a ton of people from New Jersey in Florida .... there are no more job opportunities in NJ , and although you may get paid more it is offset by a higher cost of living ... younger people ... that is silly , please where . The only thing you are correct on is that yes the school system is better ....other than that NJ is gray , cold and dirty . Also many parts of NJ suffer from the same ghetto mentality that Miami has , in fact some areas are worse .

Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
They are laying off teachers all over the state of Florida: budget deficits and declining enrollment.

Go on teachers.net and click on Florida if you want to hear REAL LIFE experiences, not happy florida city data.

I work in a school district and it numbers in the hundreds this year.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
They are laying off teachers all over the state of Florida: budget deficits and declining enrollment.
Teachers are also being laid off in New Jersey, or do you only pay attention to negative news concerning Florida?

To the OP:

Have you thought about somewhere like downtown West Palm Beach and its southside neighborhoods? Or Jupiter?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Try Parkland.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 PM

Downtown wpb is kinda a crummy area right?

Jupiter seems to be a place that would be even more isolated than here.

How would parkland be any different than boca or wellington? There werent young people at the coral springs dog park.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow9d9 View Post

How would parkland be any different than boca or wellington? There werent young people at the coral springs dog park.
If Coral Springs isn't young enough, try Lauderhill or Miami Gardens, lol.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:11 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow9d9 View Post
Downtown wpb is kinda a crummy area right?

Jupiter seems to be a place that would be even more isolated than here.

You are wrong on both assessments regarding Downtown WPB ... City Place and Clematis Street are very nice and a stones throw from the beauty of Palm Beach .. Jupiter is nothing like Jersey ... puleeeze .. actually on second thought I take it back , Florida blows all old people everywhere and no night life anywhere ... Jersey is the place for you .. please move there . Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area