Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Downtown Davie away from the main roads (sorry fauve, personal experience I was just there two days ago around Potter Park and it was shady, I consider between Griffin and Stirling an exception)
Oh, I agree with this 100%. It only makes me nuts when the area between Griffin & Stirling are included. Also Davie Rd itself is fine. I drive that road and frequent those businesses all the time - have slept at Comfort Suites, eaten at Waffle House at 5am, gotten my car repaired at Davie Auto (the most honest car guy around), eaten at Ruby Tuesday, shopped at that Publix, stopped at the McDs, Subway's, etc at all hours, bought stuff at the Army & Navy, get gas there always coz it's the cheapest anywhere. I would also say the area west of Davie Rd IS very safe around the colleges. The only area I avoid is *east* of Davie Rd, north of Griffin, south of 595, west of the turnpike, and that is really a small area. I also know people who live in here who live to tell the tale everyday - one is Davie Councilman Bryan Caletka (who btw is awesome - he's also a science teacher at Western High), and the others are two women (Peruvian, btw, so much for the redneck stereotype) who work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 12:33 PM

443 posts, read 895,837 times
Stay away from Dania Beach? No way! East of US 1, Dania is fine.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:29 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
Excuse me, but I own a house off of Griffin Road, almost at 441. It's in a private, very quiet, man made island, long term neighborhood. My parents owned it for 37 years before me. The crime is nonexistent. Griffin Rd. itself is a little tired looking, but my house is on a deep water access canal and I'm paying 14k+ in real estate taxes. I hardly think it would be considered a stay away from area. Geesh!

Griffin Road has mostly become an access road to and from the western areas for the airport (especially if 595 is backed up w/ commuter traffic or an accident). I was a little surprised at the sketchiness of Dania Beach at night a few years ago.... they ought to clean up that riff raff. I have had no issues or problems with anything or anyone on Sterling Rd. between 441 and US1. Now, let's not get crazy here.... I did see a woman in her late 30's early 40's out walking on Angler's Ave. about midnight. She was a black lady and seemed oblivious to the fact she could disappear in a heartbeat and never be seen again, or maybe only in pieces. Truthfully though, I wouldn't be caught walking alone like that almost anywhere in south Florida at that hour. Even on my VERY safe island.

I have frequented Mickey D's on 441 at close to midnight (drive up window), and the one on Sterling just east of 95 (again drive up), with no issues or fear whatsoever (that's how I saw that lady walking on Angler's).

Even the low end area of Dania on Griffin at the railroad tracks in the old downtown is being renovated. Guess it started when the market was booming. It sure is far improved over how it was when I was a kid.

Dania Beach is just a sleepy little town inbetween two cities. We like it that way. My particular area was unincorporated Broward, but was annexed to Dania about 15 years ago. I remember when Griffin Rd. was two lanes and the last thing on it was Spykes Groves, slightly west of 441.. A little further on it became full blown everglades and dirt roads. University and Flamingo or the towns those roads support weren't even dreamt of back then. That's the south Florida I liked and miss very much.

Just to wander a second more... I can remember when University Drive opened. There was nothing on it!!!! The Broward Mall seemed like it was out in the willy wickets and it seemed ridiculous that it was there!!!!! Imagine!!!!

Old 06-27-2009, 04:39 PM

CoastalMaine, I remember that, too. When I was a kid, 441 was the end of the civilized world! I'm a native (58 years) and it makes me sick to see what has happened to Dania, Hollywood and Hallandale since the old days. I'm outta here as soon as I retire in a couple more years. If we stay in state, it'll be to St. Augustine or Vero Beach, most likely. Otherwise we're headed to AL, GA, or TN. Or maybe the Carolinas. I want to hear English again.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:52 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
Vigo, when I come to SoFlo, it takes me about a week to get oriented again. It is 180° different than where I live on Cape Cod and where I summer in Maine. It's literally like going to another country now. I remember the old Floridian neighbors and folks of the olden days. It was a really special place back then. Good luck to you in your retirement and move!

Old 06-27-2009, 07:30 PM

78 posts, read 184,671 times
I love Plantation. Great family atmosphere - PAL sports program - beautiful, AFFORDABLE homes. Give it a look.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:57 PM

351 posts, read 1,126,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancynshawn View Post
My husband, baby and I will be moving to the Ft. Lauderdale area at the end of the year. I've done a lot of research and came up with the following areas as being decent/safe to live in...

Coral Springs
Coconut Creek
Margate
maybe Tamarac?

Does anyone have any advice or anything good or bad to say about these cities? Any input would be greatly appreciated. We plan on renting for about 2 years before buying and I want to rent in a nice, safe area. I have really been eyeing Coral Springs a lot. Anyhow, please share any info you might have! Thanks!!!!
I read recently that property crimes (burglaries and thefts) were up significantly in Margate and Coconut Creek last year.
I do live near Coconut Creek and it has a nice feel, although schools are reportedly mediocre at best.

Re Compelled to Reply's info, although you're information is generally OK, I take issue with some of these generalizations. There are million-dollar waterfront homes within the areas that have been categorized as undesirable. I take issue with the statement that "most of Pompano" is bad. Yes, there are some crappy areas, but neighborhoods like Garden Isles, Cypress Isles, Blvd Park Isles are desirable for their ocean access (and other homes nearby benefit from proximity).

As for Dania, there are fine livable neighborhoods, especially some with waterfront access.

Not everyone wants to live in a cookie-cutter, zero-lot-line faux-Mediterranean McMansion in a sterile Pembroke Pines or Weston tract home development. Some people actually like a 1950s concrete home which has withstood many a hurricane, and is flanked by lovely mature landscaping. Lots of people want to avoid HOAs. You really have to find what is appropriate and acceptable for YOU.

Hire a real estate agent and ignore the generalizations.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:40 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
Quote:
Not everyone wants to live in a cookie-cutter, zero-lot-line faux-Mediterranean McMansion in a sterile Pembroke Pines or Weston tract home development. Some people actually like a 1950s concrete home which has withstood many a hurricane, and is flanked by lovely mature landscaping. Lots of people want to avoid HOAs. You really have to find what is appropriate and acceptable for YOU.
I love this. Thank you!!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:36 PM

SierraDog, I totally agree with you! I'm one of those who absolutely hates those "faux-Mediterranean McMansions"! Our home was built in '64 and is on a block of unique homes in an older neighborhood (the Lakes section of Hollywood) less than a mile from the ocean, surrounded by royal poincianas, bougainvilleas, frangipanis and hibiscus. I wouldn't live west of US 1 if you gave me the house free. I've never understood the appeal of places like Weston, but maybe that's because I've lived here all my life.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:05 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
As I said, Hollywood east of US1 is very nice (also not sure I would call Hollywood Hills or Emerald Hills cookie-cutter either and they are west of US1), but I should have indicated that I meant "with exceptions". As far as labeling all of Dania and Pompano as "stay away", I acknowledge that there are some nice parts of Dania north of Griffin Rd and west of 95 with the canal fronts, but even east of US1 the good seems way too close to the bad and right around where Dania Beach Blvd intersects US1, I don't get a good feeling even on the east side. I should have said "most of". As far as Pompano, same issue in that there are some nice areas east of Dixie Hwy but it seems very inconsistent. If you can find a good deal in the right neighborhood, I do think Pompano can be a good option for waterfront/canal access. Still, I get some bad vibes in some of the commercial areas of Pompano that a local resident would have to patronize, although US1 mostly feels OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area