Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM

593 posts, read 1,906,870 times

Advertisements

So, I have still been trying to track down the exact location of the pompano outfall. It has turned onto a game. I wish I were an environmental reporter or something, as I get so much good information, and it seems most will die with me. . . probably from cancer caused by effluent chemicals.

i have cals into the governor and mayor. the Vice Mayors office in District 4, whcih is the location of teh outfall, seems to know nothign of it, but they promise "somone" will call me back eventually.

The water treatment plant has told me thay are under a red flag and I cannot have access to that privileged information!

In palm Beach county I had no trouble finding information on the outfalls, and on many other water issues. In Broward County I am being :managed: like some dangerous person.

All I wanted to know was why my beach smells like manure and why teh water is so often dirt brown. I lived 3/4 of a block away itn eh late 80s and this was not the case then, and the inlet was every bit as much an inlet then!

So all I want to know is what has changed. This effluent pipe was also in operation at that time.

So? What's the deal? Why is the beach in North Pompano so filthy and why are people not angry about it? Seriously, people are treating me like I'm nuts for wanting to know things like - where does the wastewater from my house go? Where is the pipe that spews 66 million gallons a day of minimally treated (not filtered, just ammonia and chlorine treated) that might be in the water i see from my window? Why is the water that accumulates at the bottom of the landfill not tested for dangerous carcinogens before being injected into the florida aquifer area that supplies the water to reverse osmosis treatment plants?

Am I really that unusual? I want to know things. being told, "don't worry, everyhign is fine won't cut it." I jsut want answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:06 PM

Oh, and I found out that the testing spot at teh mouth of the inlet turned up enough bacteria to shut the beach down so many times that they eliminated that testing spot. They did nothing to fix the problem other than stop testing at the spot that kept turning up contaminated.

This is the beach my children swim in for goodness sake, the water we drink, the waste that comes from our home. Why shoudl I not be able to find out how it is being managed?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:21 PM

https://www.lakeworthmedia.com/modul...=print&sid=319

this seems to be what has changed. half a billion gallons of sewage, from the bottom of the landfill, from the hospital, from industry, from runoff, etc. . . all kinds of toxins, are being deep well injected.

the thing is, the wells wash out into the ocean anyhow! no wonder the water looks so different. this really shocks the conscience.

and the clean water act list of chemicals is 35 years old, it is time to update that.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:11 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,347,269 times
Fish eat the waste as well, and then people are out there fishing and end up eating those fish.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:22 PM

the guy from water treatment facility called me back, finally. and he was very helpful. according to him the brown color of the water is indeed from the development out west. in order to keep all those areas dry the water drains east, and out of the inlets.

the landmark of the north broward sewage outfall pipe is at NE 17th street in pompano

Old 08-07-2009, 12:26 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,171,835 times
I emailed this thread to my 70 year old buddy. He was the first one to inform me of this.

His reply: YES I KNEW ABOUT IT. THEY WERE DUMPING 15% UNTREATED SEWAGE FOR YEARS OFF THE BEACHES. EVEN WHERE I LIVE THEY WERE PUMPING SEWAGE OVERFLOW INTO THE CANAL.WHEN I USED TO COMPLAIN
ABOUT THE SMELL OF URINE THEY SAID IT WAS A WEED

Old 08-07-2009, 09:57 PM

They started in the early 70s. Back then the motto was "the solution to pollution is dilution". And of course the ocean is so big, all this stuff will go unfettered and without ramifications. Well, fast forward 20 years and people start saying the fish has PCBs, then mercury, and, of course, so much plastic. I saw someone at a restaurant pull a plastic cigarette pack type wrap out of their fish the other day. Yummy! We need to filter this stuff, at least.

The problem is that many of these chemicals are measured in parts per billion and still toxic at just a part or two per billion. . . so much for dilution. . . into the water goes whatever people can get away with dumping in all those canals, and all sorts of stuff washes into the canals when it rains

Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,979 times
Question Brown beach water !!!

Hello,

I also have noticed the brown ocean water in front of my condo in the morning through the afternoon. Disgusting!! I cannot seem to get any answers to this question. At about 6am everything looks fine out there ( at 9th street, Pompano Beach) clear blue water. Then by about 6:30 I can see this distinct line, color change, of water from the north to the south, that spans only about a few hundred yards outward. I have been up in my friends apartment, easier to view up higher, so I can clearly see the change and the line of incomming tea colored water. It moves about a foot a munite heading south at the shore line. It has stained my white bathing suit brown, so I have stopped going into the water when it looks dirty like this. Disgusting! I assumed it was comming from the inlet maybe because it happens close to shore and moves southward? I thought maybe it was the tides washing out the dirty water from the intercostal. Is this sewage? It is definately not from a storm, or rain, or turbulence, because the water is calm, and it has been happening every day since we moved here this year. I have walked to the waters edge at 7am to see this change happening with my own eyes close up, and on one side I can see clear water, and to my left (north about 3 feet) I see this all consuming, brown, tea colored water moving in.
I moved here to be on the ocean, now I cant even use the beach!!!! Yuck.
Your comments please????

Old 09-13-2020, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 998 times
according to this article https://floridadep.gov/sites/default...allStudy_0.pdf
It is here: 26°15'00"N 80°03'45"W
If you look on the google maps satellite view closer into shore it looks like you can see it under the water

Last edited by gpeach69; 09-13-2020 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: wrong article url for ocean outfall location

Old 09-14-2020, 06:34 PM

443 posts, read 887,884 times
Why resurrect an 8 year old thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area