Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:27 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Hollywood Beach. There are some fairly new condo's called "Hollywood Grande" at 342 Pierce St & N. Surf Rd. (33019)

What is Hollywood Beach like?

Not looking for South Beach...looking for a more laid back area and easy access to FLL & MIA...of course safe.

Thanks,

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:45 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Can anyone tell me about Hollywood Beach. There are some fairly new condo's called "Hollywood Grande" at 342 Pierce St & N. Surf Rd. (33019)

What is Hollywood Beach like?

Not looking for South Beach...looking for a more laid back area and easy access to FLL & MIA...of course safe.

Thanks,

Jeff
and there in lays your problem. I would suggest you come down and see it for yourself. They tried to revamp that dirty run down beach front of theirs. It is a mixed bag, some areas they did clean up a bit and some still look rundown. For example they have town homes, apartments and homes just off the boardwalk. Those places look haggard and inappropriate to be on ocean front. Also they had a mall there and it looks like something out of 28 days later (the movie). You should come down though as I am not sure what part of Hollywood the condo you are looking at is in. You should also look downtown fort lauderdale they have condos and prices are dropping rapidly and you would have a heck of a lot more to do in yoru surrounding area with in walking distance. I should add I based my statments on knowing someone who lived ten steps away from the boardwalk (in a town home) and from friends who either lived on or near the beach or in the downtown area. I don't have any friends living on the beach anymore but I still havae a few friends/acquintances living in the downtown area of hollywood florida.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
and there in lays your problem. I would suggest you come down and see it for yourself. They tried to revamp that dirty run down beach front of theirs. It is a mixed bag, some areas they did clean up a bit and some still look rundown. For example they have town homes, apartments and homes just off the boardwalk. Those places look haggard and inappropriate to be on ocean front. Also they had a mall there and it looks like something out of 28 days later (the movie). You should come down though as I am not sure what part of Hollywood the condo you are looking at is in. You should also look downtown fort lauderdale they have condos and prices are dropping rapidly and you would have a heck of a lot more to do in yoru surrounding area with in walking distance. I should add I based my statments on knowing someone who lived ten steps away from the boardwalk (in a town home) and from friends who either lived on or near the beach or in the downtown area. I don't have any friends living on the beach anymore but I still havae a few friends/acquintances living in the downtown area of hollywood florida.
Thanks for your response...I believe we will stick with Sunny Isles (Miami-Dade). I know the prices are much higher (that doesn't concern us)...but you get what you pay for...right?

Have been to South Florida many times...and spent the last several months in Coconut Grove in a rented loft. Coconut Grove is to iffy...bad areas are to close for comfort. Haven't scene any bad areas of Sunny Isles...but would love to hear if there are any. Friends in Wellington want us to move that far North...seems like a nice area too...but seems way to far inland...30 minutes or so to the beach.

Jeff

Old 07-10-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your response...I believe we will stick with Sunny Isles (Miami-Dade). I know the prices are much higher (that doesn't concern us)...but you get what you pay for...right?

Have been to South Florida many times...and spent the last several months in Coconut Grove in a rented loft. Coconut Grove is to iffy...bad areas are to close for comfort. Haven't scene any bad areas of Sunny Isles...but would love to hear if there are any. Friends in Wellington want us to move that far North...seems like a nice area too...but seems way to far inland...30 minutes or so to the beach.

Jeff
I would take the Grove over Hollywood. Both are iffy but in different ways. The iffiness in Hollywood is criminal but they also have a crazier than cat ish component to their iffiness. someone I know who owns a company in Hollywood was just telling me some lady was walking around like a robot repeating over and over again "robot, robot, robot". Then she took her purse and was hitting it against the railing. Then she tried to follow him into his business all the while saying over and over again "s.t.o.p...n.o.w." and yes she was spelling it out letter by letter not saying the actual words. Then he said a few days later he went to barns and noble, walked in for 5 minutes and came out to his car that had just been burgalizrized. Said he had a car alarm too and they found a way to by pass it. All in five minutes. I give hollywood two thumbs down. I would give it four but I only have two arms right now.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I would take the Grove over Hollywood. Both are iffy but in different ways. The iffiness in Hollywood is criminal but they also have a crazier than cat ish component to their iffiness. someone I know who owns a company in Hollywood was just telling me some lady was walking around like a robot repeating over and over again "robot, robot, robot". Then she took her purse and was hitting it against the railing. Then she tried to follow him into his business all the while saying over and over again "s.t.o.p...n.o.w." and yes she was spelling it out letter by letter not saying the actual words. Then he said a few days later he went to barns and noble, walked in for 5 minutes and came out to his car that had just been burgalizrized. Said he had a car alarm too and they found a way to by pass it. All in five minutes. I give hollywood two thumbs down. I would give it four but I only have two arms right now.
Appreciate all your feed back. What is your impression of Sunny Isles?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Appreciate all your feed back. What is your impression of Sunny Isles?
Well let me say i am a bit biased. I am from NYC originally and I prefer very urban areas. With that said the whole sunny isles, aventura, bal harbor, surf side chain is nice in my book. I wouldn't buy anything in those areas personally just because they are not urban enough for my taste BUT if that sort of living was my style I would definitly take one of those areas with out thought. For me though the downotown Miami, Brickell area is more my speed.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:34 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
I love Hollywood. It's fun and laid back. We've been hanging out there on weekends for the last 5 years or so. The beach is clean and uncrowded. The broadwalk is fun to stroll along. There's a farmer's market on Sundays with a wheatgrass bar, lots of funky shops and restaurants. The downtown area has lots of live music, hookah bars, etc. We haven't seen any criminal or mentally ill types.

Definitely visit. We used to live in Surfside, so know Sunny Isles pretty well. Imo, Sunny Isles is kind of boring.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I love Hollywood. It's fun and laid back. We've been hanging out there on weekends for the last 5 years or so. The beach is clean and uncrowded. The broadwalk is fun to stroll along. There's a farmer's market on Sundays with a wheatgrass bar, lots of funky shops and restaurants. The downtown area has lots of live music, hookah bars, etc. We haven't seen any criminal or mentally ill types.

Definitely visit. We used to live in Surfside, so know Sunny Isles pretty well. Imo, Sunny Isles is kind of boring.
Boring sounds great to us for MIA. We are in our mid 40's and work from home and can live anywhere.

We have lived in Manhattan, DC & Atlanta...and I mean inner city urban...and looking for a slower pace (for MIA standards) but close to everything.

Sunny Isles seems like a nice area with not alot of crime and is convenient to both FLL & MIA.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2009, 10:27 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
Boring sounds great to us for MIA. We are in our mid 40's and work from home and can live anywhere.

We have lived in Manhattan, DC & Atlanta...and I mean inner city urban...and looking for a slower pace (for MIA standards) but close to everything.

Sunny Isles seems like a nice area with not alot of crime and is convenient to both FLL & MIA.

Thanks

Then definitely go with Sunny Isles. Aventura sounds like a possibility too.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:57 PM

39 posts, read 134,731 times
Quote:
Friends of mine used to live in the Hollywood Lakes area. The poor things had their car broken into right in their driveway one weekend and then on ANOTHER weekend, they had their car broken into down at the beach! Needless to say, they were thoroughly disgusted and wasted no time in selling their home and moving to Davie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area