Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 07:30 PM

154 posts, read 552,352 times

Advertisements

We did our research before moving in West davie and the landfill is safe and has been sealed years before our home was even built. (We did tons of research w/the EPA and Town 10 years ago) The water is safe.....the water is actually from the Town of Sunrise. I live near the old landfill and the only smell i smell is from cow pastures very rarely. It's so beautiful to bike at over there and with the new expansion, it's going to be even better.

Did you know even the Mayor of Davie even lives nearby there? She's a fantastic woman and she's very committed to keeping Davie "rural like" with lots of trails and open spaces.

You'll really be happy with your choice of Davie.....tons of other people live and love it there too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 07:46 PM

423 posts, read 1,642,667 times
Davie is awesome.. go for it

Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,891 times
Quote:
Did you know even the Mayor of Davie even lives nearby there? She's a fantastic woman and she's very committed to keeping Davie "rural like" with lots of trails and open spaces.
I thought our mayor was Tom Truex? Did he lose the election? I really liked whoever he was running against, but I forget her name.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:40 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,225 times
I watched this garbage fill evolve from the '80's when the plume of smoke from burning tires could be seen from the distance to what it is today. When they built the development of beautiful homes at the base and marketed it, I was aghast. Who in their right mind would want to live at the base of a garbage dump? Well many of the home owners didn't even know it's history.

That being said, there is no way I will spend money buying a house at the base of a landfill. Is it safe? I do know the correct process was used and it is safe. But ... Hmmm It's not for me.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocamom View Post
Based on the unknowns about the toxicity and the stories I've heard about similar locations, no way i would live there. Not if you gave me my dream house at my price point. But everyone has to find their own comfort zone.
That's what I'd be worried about. Toxicity. Find some other place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGHenderson View Post
I was more worried about the toxic-ness of it over the smell... but if the smell is bad, yuch. Thanks for all the replies
I wouldn't bother. Try another place. Staten Island, NY comes to mind..(Higher cancer rates of the 5 boroughs, some research point at the landfills there. There's an article about it. I will look for the article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I watched this garbage fill evolve from the '80's when the plume of smoke from burning tires could be seen from the distance to what it is today. When they built the development of beautiful homes at the base and marketed it, I was aghast. Who in their right mind would want to live at the base of a garbage dump? Well many of the home owners didn't even know it's history.

That being said, there is no way I will spend money buying a house at the base of a landfill. Is it safe? I do know the correct process was used and it is safe. But ... Hmmm It's not for me.
Ditto...Why pay good money to live near trash?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:47 AM

47 posts, read 134,921 times
The only reason I'm considering it is because I found a house that I love. This is all via the internet as I have not even been there... I'm just asking what people-in-the-know, know

Old 08-12-2009, 12:15 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGHenderson View Post
The only reason I'm considering it is because I found a house that I love. This is all via the internet as I have not even been there... I'm just asking what people-in-the-know, know

My advice is: Keep on searching.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:44 AM

351 posts, read 1,126,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I thought our mayor was Tom Truex? Did he lose the election? I really liked whoever he was running against, but I forget her name.
Judy Paul. My understanding is that she defeated the incumbent due to her anti-Davie Commons (huge proposed mall development) platform.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:17 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraDog View Post
Judy Paul. My understanding is that she defeated the incumbent due to her anti-Davie Commons (huge proposed mall development) platform.
Right! Yay, Judy Paul! She spoke out against the developers who bought next to me, but she wasnt on the council then. Caletka was the only one who voted against them - love him too. The entire east Davie community was against it. Well, at least their credit was frozen and it'll be years before they build, however they completely cleared it, so 30 acres of trees and horse trails are gone now ...

Old 08-12-2009, 10:58 PM

99 posts, read 304,031 times
I suggest NOT buying there - when the developments were first put in that area I looked up state reports and whatever I could find. The little I remember from that research swayed me from buying - mostly about water issues, leaks from the landfill, that sort of thing. From my point of view, a landfill that size is so massive, you cannot tell me that it can be contained. The other observation is, it took a long time for the park to open. The fence went up and the sign too, and then it stood there a long time, chained up. Something delayed the opening of the park, not a good sign. Plus, water runs down hill, and with South Florida being flat, the water is running down and through trash and carrying what it can with it. No thanks. Don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area