Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:48 PM

47 posts, read 134,302 times

Advertisements

So we've narrowed it down to West Davie, and I found a beautiful house, but the realtor says it's too close to the Davie Landfill. I found some literature that it was cleaned up and it's been closed for some time now. Is that correct? Is it still an issue? Thank you to anyone who has info on this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 03:57 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,674,595 times
I'll be curious to see how people answer this. I always thought it was nuts when they built 1/2 million dollar homes at its base, but people bought them. It's now a park - Vista View - where you can ride your horse. It was also a terrific place to watch the fireworks from 7/4 as it's the only high peak. The fact that all that garbage is sitting under there would bother me, but that's a choice you'll have to make. I've never heard of any issues with smell, but maybe someone else has. It was turned into a park since I've lived in Broward - only 11 years - so the time it was a landfill was not that long ago.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,800,375 times
It smells bad over there. Other than that I don't think there are other problems. Before buying a house over there maybe you should swing by the area at different times of the day to see if the smell is noticeable. I don't live over there and it is noticeable to me but the people who live in that area say they don't notice it.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:56 PM

157 posts, read 485,500 times
I go to vista view park daily with my dogs, Lily and Diamond. It`s a happening place. Loaded with serious runners and bicyclist. Horse trails,para gliders ( wow), and remote control hobby airplanes. There are numerous vents throughout the park. They are obscure, but if you walk around a lot you will find them, sometimes by the smell. They vent methane gas so the mounds don`t blow up. The odor can be pungent,especially if you are standing near the vent. The odor does travel. I think there are a few vents on orange drive too.
I could smell them half a mile down orange drive. BUT, the smell only happens once or twice a week and if your not real close it is very tolerable. There is also an incinerator on the park. It runs once a week on Tuesday mornings I think. Also it is very tolerable. The parks good points far outweigh it`s bad points. If I had money I would live right back up to it. the adjacent landfill/park will open in 2012 to detoxify. Plus the adjacent park that they are working on now is awesome.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:15 PM

44 posts, read 155,381 times
The development Riverstone is built on a landfill, and it does smell out there at night time while driving by.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,011,996 times
Henderson....go for it. I would not worry about it. If there are smells, they are isolated and far few between. The area outweighs any negative impacts from the landfill which is now a beautiful park.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:39 PM

98 posts, read 468,826 times
a beautiful park but stinks all the time....

Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,756,411 times
I have a very close friend who lives there. The negihborhood is beautiful but if the wind is going the wrong way - phew! That being said - she is very informed, did her research and doesnt have concerns with living there with 2 young children.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 PM

47 posts, read 134,302 times
I was more worried about the toxic-ness of it over the smell... but if the smell is bad, yuch. Thanks for all the replies

Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 PM

593 posts, read 1,906,870 times
Based on the unknowns about the toxicity and the stories I've heard about similar locations, no way i would live there. Not if you gave me my dream house at my price point. But everyone has to find their own comfort zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area