Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 12:40 PM

112 posts, read 413,952 times

Advertisements

We recently (april 2009) purchased a new home in Plantation Acres. Got a great 4.5% interest rate, put 20% down, etc. It was short sale, NOT a foreclosure, which is now considered fair market value (the previous year, short sales AND foreclosures were NOT considered fair market value). The previous owner did not have homestead exemption on this property, and the 2009 assesed/SOH value was 471k. In 2008 it was 487k, so it has gone down a bit. We paid 350k for this house. We have already applied for and received homestead on this house.

I understand for the rest of the year we have to pay these crazy taxes (almost 10k a year) but when will the new rate kick in...Jan 1 2010? I used the online portability calculator (uses the just value of my previous house, and it asks for the PURCHASE price of the new home) on the bcpa.net site, and it looks like we should be paying 3k in taxes.

Our taxes are part of our payment every month, with the money in escrow. Someone told me it won't adjust on our payments until August 2010...does that make sense? Like...the money still has to go into escrow every month or something?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 12:51 PM

995 posts, read 3,929,825 times
Here's my guess.

The property tax is paid only once per year (around November). Your 2009 tax will probably depend on the previous owner's purchase price. Go to bcpa.net to find out the exact amount.

On the other hand, your purchase price will be used for 2010 tax. But this doesn't necessary lower your escrow payment on January 2010, unless your lender do another escrow analysis. I think you can request one, when the new figures for 2010 becomes available.

The good news is even if you pay too much on your escrow account, the lenders are required to refund the part of the excess. The bad news is you will lose interest on it.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

The previous owners paid 399k in 2002. But they had no homestead, so the assessed value kept going up...right?

That's what someone said...that we will be getting the money back at some point towards the end of 2010. I have heard August, and I heard November. I would really just like to get this darn monthly payment down, so maybe I will request an escrow analysis, that is a good tip. Or maybe I should ask if we can just pay our taxes at the end of the year, as opposed to having them pain monthly thru the mortgage co?

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2009, 02:14 PM

995 posts, read 3,929,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Thanks for the quick response!

The previous owners paid 399k in 2002. But they had no homestead, so the assessed value kept going up...right?

That's what someone said...that we will be getting the money back at some point towards the end of 2010. I have heard August, and I heard November. I would really just like to get this darn monthly payment down, so maybe I will request an escrow analysis, that is a good tip. Or maybe I should ask if we can just pay our taxes at the end of the year, as opposed to having them pain monthly thru the mortgage co?

Thanks!
If you are good with budgeting, ask the lender whether you are eligible to delete the escrow account.

I don't like someone else managing my money to pay tax and insurance, where I can easily do it. But you need the discipline to budget a large payment when the time comes.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:17 PM

I have never done it before...and really cannot brag of having ANY budgeting skills, so I am scared! But I really would love to see this payment decrease. My principal and interest is only $1400...the rest is property insurance (we are getting shutters on, so that should decrease by maybe $50/month) and taxes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area