Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 12:05 PM

593 posts, read 1,915,509 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for short scale electric guitar and bass and practice amps. I am looking at several items on ebay but want the ability to hear the product AND get the low price. . . I am at a used budget. . . want to get the whole band (including drums and mic which are easy to find on craigslist) for under 1k yet still have very good tone in everything I buy.

Any local gems for this purpose??

Last edited by bocamom; 08-30-2009 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 12:10 PM

I am local to Boca/Pompano but willing to drive anywhere in Broward and Palm Beach county

Old 08-30-2009, 12:52 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Cool !!!!

Im a guitar freak !! I breath music !

1K is not a lot to do a band, but I think it could be done from Craigslist.
I think you could get by with a 15 or 25 watt modeling amp that you can get
at Guitar Center / George's new, like Line6, VOX and a few others...
You will want 'Modeling' because of the variety of tones they have. You can
get new for about 100.00, Craigslist for 60.00 at the most.
For a bass, Squire is Fender Chinese brand, not great, obviously, but you can get by...I think
you could get one of those for 199.00 new, 100, used, and it would be a nice, first bass....
Look at Ibanez too. This is new inexpensive stuff, but Id try to do Craigslist first keeping in
mind that theres a lot of scams and people selling instruments for higher than they pay for
them. I dont know of a 'local' type music store in PBC/Broward. If anyone does, Id like to know !
Wolfe Guitars in Jupiter is probably the most knowledgeable but not budget at all.
Pawn shops arent really a good deal, they price from E-Bay.

I have a H-U-G-E 100 watt stack for sale, but I dont think your neighbors would approve
Would work well for the Kravitz Center, though....he he he

The whole punk rock scene in the 70's started with people who thought
the same way !
Expensive instruments are great to have but remember, great music
comes from the heart, not the instrument

Good luck and keep updating progress

Old 08-30-2009, 04:04 PM

Thanks!!! I need guitar guidance. I'll send a link to the guitar I am considering!!! You rock.

I had so much fun looking at drums today. I got a complete Remo kit with a floor tom and two tom toms and a nice snare, throne sticks, trashy Zildjian Hi Hat and a fairly trashy in its own right Sabian 18" Crash.

So the guy lives right across the street, literally walked the set over and set it all up for me. That's community at work. So the drums are handled and I have $800 left. So on to the guitar. I have read really mixed reviews of teh 3/4 size Squier. On the one hand, my last guitar was a peavy, so it isn't like I'm spoiled. . . yet. But I want something nice and I want the short scale so everyone in the house can use it. i think I'll have fun with the short scale anyway.

I found a vox 5 watt amp new, the one with the mic input, with shipping for $99 so I thought that would be fun since everyone around here is a singer, too. I don't know what type of mic i need for it.

And I found a really great deal on a little cottage too, and just confirmed it. i clearly have outgrown apartment living

I am going to go back and bang on my drums some more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Cool !!!!

Im a guitar freak !! I breath music !

1K is not a lot to do a band, but I think it could be done from Craigslist.
I think you could get by with a 15 or 25 watt modeling amp that you can get
at Guitar Center / George's new, like Line6, VOX and a few others...
You will want 'Modeling' because of the variety of tones they have. You can
get new for about 100.00, Craigslist for 60.00 at the most.
For a bass, Squire is Fender Chinese brand, not great, obviously, but you can get by...I think
you could get one of those for 199.00 new, 100, used, and it would be a nice, first bass....
Look at Ibanez too. This is new inexpensive stuff, but Id try to do Craigslist first keeping in
mind that theres a lot of scams and people selling instruments for higher than they pay for
them. I dont know of a 'local' type music store in PBC/Broward. If anyone does, Id like to know !
Wolfe Guitars in Jupiter is probably the most knowledgeable but not budget at all.
Pawn shops arent really a good deal, they price from E-Bay.

I have a H-U-G-E 100 watt stack for sale, but I dont think your neighbors would approve
Would work well for the Kravitz Center, though....he he he

The whole punk rock scene in the 70's started with people who thought
the same way !
Expensive instruments are great to have but remember, great music
comes from the heart, not the instrument

Good luck and keep updating progress

Last edited by bocamom; 08-30-2009 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area