Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 11,090 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Florida from Long Island NY. Schools here are excellent. I need to find the best High School in Florida. My friend told me Stoneman Douglas in Parkland/Coral Springs was good. Does anyone know that school or any other great High Schools in Florida. Teen is interested in Theater/Singing and acting. Please Help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 11:37 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
If you are looking at academics your outcome will be different than if you are looking at performing arts. Moreover, even then "best" is subjective. Once you have some defining factors you will likely get some responses.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
Douglas has gone from an A school to a B school, but I see a lot of schools have gone down in their rating. I'm not sure why.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 11,090 times
I am moving from Long Island, Ny to Florida I have a child in high School. I am looking for an A rating school. Basically, once I have that knowledge I will call the schools to find out if they have any performing arts programs. Please help and thank you very much

Old 09-15-2009, 11:46 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
The best high schools in Florida are East Side in Gainesville and Pine View in Sarasota. The best high school in South Florida is Stoneman Douglas in Parkland.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Funshine - first question you need to answer is what part of Florida are you moving to. Then when you have established that, you can begin your search for an A rated high school. I will tell you that a few of the A rated high schools have lost a letter rating and are down to a B now. I think you have to take multiple things into consideration when searching for a school. I personally went to the schools in the areas I was thinking of moving to and watched the kids coming out. Watched how they behaved or misbehaved. Then I went in and asked what their extra curricular activities were. How they ranked in the state and country with testing, etc. A school may receive a B rating but really be excellent! I know that some states (NY) rate there schools lower so that when they succeed it looks a lot better in the end, but it really means nothing. The school neither performed worse nor better than the previous year.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 AM

Hey Fauve - good to talk to you again. Is Douglas still the best? It is now rated a B, which I would assume has taken a little something away from it. Let me know. Hope you and your family are well.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:47 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
I'm going by US News & World Report's ratings, not by the A/B/C thing, because USNWR bases it on AP availability and AP test results or IB availability & results, rather than whatever nonsense the ABC thing is about - Im not even sure - it it FCATs?

And, thanks for asking - family is great but I miss my son - just started freshman year of college all the way in california.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:12 PM

oh man that is far! Is he your only child?

Old 09-15-2009, 01:16 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,535 times
If performing arts is your thing, then you need to be looking at Dreyfoos in West Palm Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area