Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,473 times

Advertisements

We are a Maine family with an 11 and 13 year olds. We are packing up soon and heading south. Without making a pretrip down, where would be a good place to look. Looking for not too expensive housing, but in good neighborhoods with good schools and of course lots of job opportunity. Interested in the area from Palm Beach and south of the there on the east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 05:18 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
For good schools, Weston & Parkland in Broward. What's your housing budget? What kind of jobs are you looking for?

Old 09-20-2009, 10:12 PM

22 posts, read 132,380 times
Not too expensive housing in a good neighborhood/schools? You can't have both. SoFLA is "pay to play".

Old 09-22-2009, 02:08 AM

99 posts, read 304,009 times
The most important issues facing you are, education, employment and commuting. Each of these will impact your quality of life down here.
Education: Looking at your scenario from my point of view, you need to decide if you want your children in public or private school. If its private, there are many private schools down here with excellent reputations. Start looking up schools through a website: www.greatschools.net
The public schools are graded each year for performance, the students are tested each year to attain the performance of the school, and each school puts a large effort forward to insure their students do as well as they can on those tests. Its our slippery slope in public education.

Employment and commuting go hand in hand. Where is your place of employment and how can you find a place to live without a long commute? If employment is not an issue, then its a matter of where you want to live. South Florida can be broken down into these broad areas: beaches, proximity to the beaches, central core, central west and western reaches.

The beaches put you right on the Atlantic and the areas near it, accessible from the barrier islands we have which are seperated from the mainland by the Intracoastal Waterways (ICWW).
Directly west of the ICWW are neighborhoods that are very close to the beach action and the prices reflect that.
Central is a huge area that covers roughly I95 west to University Drive.
Central West is west of University Drive.
Western reaches are areas west of I75.

What kind of home are you looking for, lifestyle and budget will determine your location very quickly. AND, even though South Florida has been in the headlines for the difficulty we are facing in real estate, certain locations have a premium to the price because of what they offer.
- Homes on the water without a fixed bridge will only be available above $650,000 and quickly hit $1M-plus.
- Homes in the farthest western reaches are planned neighborhoods.
- Central west has alot of land sold at an acre plus
- The east side is older than the west side and each has different things to offer

You have lots to kick out around even still... but I hope I was able to help get the most important issues taken care of first.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:16 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,795,598 times
I wouldnt do it - and then if I did - Palm Beach Gardens would be my first choice.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
I would definitely stay in Maine...this place is a real shocker for people coming from sparsely populated places all over the U.S. But anyhow, Vanilla Ice is correct when he says you need to have very good money to live in a good neighborhood. This holds true down here. If you can't afford anything over 260K.....then you are not going to be in a very good area as far as housing goes.

Take care.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:11 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,822,860 times
If you make it down here, don't hog the left lane!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 03:49 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainefamily View Post
We are a Maine family with an 11 and 13 year olds. We are packing up soon and heading south. Without making a pretrip down, where would be a good place to look. Looking for not too expensive housing, but in good neighborhoods with good schools and of course lots of job opportunity. Interested in the area from Palm Beach and south of the there on the east coast.
There are several nice family oriented areas with good schools :

1) Palm Beach Gardens
2) Wellington
3) Parkland
4) North Coral Springs
5) Weston
6) Cooper City

Good luck

Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I wouldnt do it - and then if I did - Palm Beach Gardens would be my first choice.
Palm Beach Gardens has mediocre schools.

Palm Beach Gardens Schools - Palm Beach Gardens Florida School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 09-23-2009, 05:09 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post

Surprising as it is a beautiful upscale area .... hmmm ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area