Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:23 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What I want Max's Mama to understand is that you cannot compare city life to suburban life. So her analogy still makes no sense. Distance is not relevant. Also there is not a metropolis down here. (Mostly suburbs).
No, your analogy makes no sense. You need to compare the life of where OP lives now (Woodside, Queens that borders Astoria) to where she wants to move.
Not the life in Long Island, where OP doesn't live at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:25 PM

double post.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Thank you all and I think you are all right! Mama - I see exactly what you are saying and feel the pain being raised in Astoria (so different now, and not for the better)! Mister, I also understand your point. I have no illusions that it will be 24/7 vacation there. I have come to terms with the fact that I might in fact have to work a little harder than I do here in NYC (if I could ever get anyone to give me a job). I'm not afraid of work so, I'm okay with that. I just believe that as Mister pointed out, it is much easier there with kids. I feel like I get it in the a$$ everytime I do something for my boys eg.
Movies here - 12 and 8 for them
Baseball 190 a season - there are 3 seasons - ploy to get more money and tournaments are separate
Basketball - 120
Football 275.00

This doesn't include most of the equipment.

I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment, my rent is reasonable for what I have, but I would pay for nicer. No back yard, no park within reasonable distance, I have to drive there and I can't leave them alone there, so that kills time, back yard or complex, they would be relatively safe. I am not asking to live on rodeo drive or a replica, but dammit just a nice house where my kids can play.

There really is just no comparing the homes here versus those in Florida, you just cant. A home here in NYC that looks like those in florida for 200K are over half a million! with none of the amenities or if it does have the amenities you would have to pay about 1k a month for that. Let's face it no matter what state you live in your getting SCREWED. Depressing! Sorry guys I'm a bit cranky - it is like 4 degrees outside right now and it is still cold in the office.
The movies are cheaper here by a couple of dollars but the cost of the kids activities is pretty close. I paid $255 for football, $250 for lacrosse. If your kids do tournament teams there are separate fees.

Homes are less expensive here but if you are used to NYC taxes you will find taxes are much higher here than within the city limits. I used to live in Westchester and taxes here are comparable to Westchester not NYC, which has much lower taxes than the suburbs. You can expect to pay around $3,500 per year in taxes on your $200K house and THOUSANDS per year in homeowners insurance.

Overall, it is less expensive to live here but the difference is not as big as you think it will be. If you live in Queens you may have 1 car. You will find that if you live in FL you will want to have 2 cars if you have 2 drivers. Car insurance here is comparable to NY.

I LOVE living here, but those who live here because they think it will be so much cheaper than living in NY are frequently disappointed. Wages are lower here so you may not see much of a change in your financial situation as you think.

I am not an all negative person. I like living in a quiet, clean place. I like the weather here. I enjoy the ethnic diversity of southern FL (I also liked the ethnic diversity of NY). I like driving into Weston and seeing all the greenery, the beauty of the community. I like that my kids can do outdoor activities all year round. I like that there are many facilities here for kids and families. Although I don't go to the beach much, I like that it is close when I want to go there (half an hour from Weston).

I don't let rude people have much of an impact on me. When someone is nasty I try to let it go and enjoy the rest of my day. I have met some wonderful people here in Weston and I am proud to call them my friends.

Only you can make the decision about what is right for your family, but you should make sure you listen to all the different opinions and question how people came to those decisions. I would be happy to mee you for coffee when you are here.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The movies are cheaper here by a couple of dollars but the cost of the kids activities is pretty close. I paid $255 for football, $250 for lacrosse. If your kids do tournament teams there are separate fees.

Homes are less expensive here but if you are used to NYC taxes you will find taxes are much higher here than within the city limits. I used to live in Westchester and taxes here are comparable to Westchester not NYC, which has much lower taxes than the suburbs. You can expect to pay around $3,500 per year in taxes on your $200K house and THOUSANDS per year in homeowners insurance.

Overall, it is less expensive to live here but the difference is not as big as you think it will be. If you live in Queens you may have 1 car. You will find that if you live in FL you will want to have 2 cars if you have 2 drivers. Car insurance here is comparable to NY.

I LOVE living here, but those who live here because they think it will be so much cheaper than living in NY are frequently disappointed. Wages are lower here so you may not see much of a change in your financial situation as you think.

I am not an all negative person. I like living in a quiet, clean place. I like the weather here. I enjoy the ethnic diversity of southern FL (I also liked the ethnic diversity of NY). I like driving into Weston and seeing all the greenery, the beauty of the community. I like that my kids can do outdoor activities all year round. I like that there are many facilities here for kids and families. Although I don't go to the beach much, I like that it is close when I want to go there (half an hour from Weston).

I don't let rude people have much of an impact on me. When someone is nasty I try to let it go and enjoy the rest of my day. I have met some wonderful people here in Weston and I am proud to call them my friends.

Only you can make the decision about what is right for your family, but you should make sure you listen to all the different opinions and question how people came to those decisions. I would be happy to mee you for coffee when you are here.

Good post, Momma_Bear.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:49 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
max's mamma - For so many reasons - I think South Florida is the perfect spot for you.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
max's mamma - For so many reasons - I think South Florida is the perfect spot for you.

And for you too!

Old 12-17-2009, 03:55 PM

OP: good point about cars. You really need 2 cars here, otherwise you will be stock in a community and for someone who is used to just get out of the house and walk to the store, this could be a big transition. It's hard here with one vehicle.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:03 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Momma - this is why I rate you as the best! I thank you for your opinions - I'm surprised we didn't talk about this before now. I already have 2 cars. That wont change! I completely get what you mean regarding property tax, but it is still a lot cheaper than LI (by thousands). Believe it or not the nicer areas of queens, bayside, whitestone, Malba - the taxes are around that price (3500 or more). I don't think of South Fl. as being much cheaper I just think that it will be easier to attain what I am looking for. Especially with the prices of homes still dropping. I am being very proactive about work now, this is my only obstacle, but yet it is one that I have to overcome!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Momma - this is why I rate you as the best! I thank you for your opinions - I'm surprised we didn't talk about this before now. I already have 2 cars. That wont change! I completely get what you mean regarding property tax, but it is still a lot cheaper than LI (by thousands). Believe it or not the nicer areas of queens, bayside, whitestone, Malba - the taxes are around that price (3500 or more). I don't think of South Fl. as being much cheaper I just think that it will be easier to attain what I am looking for. Especially with the prices of homes still dropping. I am being very proactive about work now, this is my only obstacle, but yet it is one that I have to overcome!
That's because Momma has been living here for a quiet long time and has realistic views on things. She was the one warning me not to move without a job. Thankfully, I found one, but I see what she was saying.

I think ultimately, you just need to way pros and cons. I think once you find a job, you will feel more at ease about moving. My deciding factor was my child. He loves it here. He loves being outside, going to the pool, the schools here are decent, a lot more time to spend outdoors. I do not miss 28 degrees weather you guys have now, where I was stuck with him inside for days and days at a time.

We gave ourselves a year to make it work here. Both of us are now working and trying to make a living, of course, if it won't work out, we will have to move back, as much as I don't want to. If a year from now, we are struggling financially, we will move back to New York, but it was worth it for us to take the risk of moving. This way we never have to guess "what if".

I was able to make friends here, just in a short period of time being here, simply because I'm not shy. I reach out to people, to neighbors, I introduce myself. I got snobbed few times, but mostly people I have encountered are really nice. I think it depends on what type of person you are, seems like you are very open and will have no problems making friends.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:02 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Mama - I'm sure we will meet up when I finally make it there. Can I ask again what you do? How did you get the job there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area