Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:53 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times

Advertisements

Thanks Momma, yours is always an opinion I value - it is the negativity about people that really bugs me. I think for the most part (not always) you receive what you give off.

Anyway, I'm back to trying again - we shall see what this summer brings us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Yes New, it is bad here too! I have friends who are still out of work after a year. It really is sad - I don't want to make the wrong decision, this why I'm not leaving until I have a job in place.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 7,636 times
Hello Everyone, I'm new to this. I was just surfing the net to find affordable and nice places to check out in Florida and came across this site. I don't know exactly when I'll move but I have been thinking about this for a long time. I really would like to move there when I do make up my mind. I work for the state here in Alabama and could possibly get a transfer, but I do have this medical condition that may eventually cause me to get a medical retirement. I suffer with sleep apnea and I drive from Troy to Montgomery. I sometimes drift off to sleep driving and at work. Yes, I know, a person like me don't need to drive. I'm taking meds that keeps me awake during those crucial hours of the day where I have to drive to work and from work. So, that's working out real good. So, right now I do want a change of scenery from Troy, Alabama and I chose Florida. I'll decide within the next year or so, hopefully by summer I'll know exactly what to do. I've lived in Los Angeles and Atlanta, but haven't experience Florida and it's weighing heavy on my mind. Don't know which city, but I think Florida is my next move. Not getting any younger, single, kids are grown, on their own and I'm tired of Alabama, love my State, but need the change.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Some objective numbers on the job market:

The United States Department of Labor's last set of statistics lists FL as 9th out of 51 (includes Washington DC) for unemployment with an 11.2% unemployment rate. It's not just negativity for the sake of negativity.

The local newspaper just ran a story indicating that foreclosures increased 15% in November 2009 when compared to November 2008.

I am sure it is a great time to buy if you have money to do so, but IMO the negativity about the local economy is justified.

As far as rude people, there are rude people everywhere.
Yeah, I have to agree with Momma_bear here. We can't deny the statistics.

Additionally, yeah, there are rude people everywhere.

A friend of mine was talking to a man at the Ale House one time and she told him that she is from New York.
He asked her: "So are you one of those rude and snobby New Yorkers?"
She answered: "Yes. Are you one of those lazy and fake Floridians?"

Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Yeah, I have to agree with Momma_bear here. We can't deny the statistics.

Additionally, yeah, there are rude people everywhere.

A friend of mine was talking to a man at the Ale House one time and she told him that she is from New York.
He asked her: "So are you one of those rude and snobby New Yorkers?"
She answered: "Yes. Are you one of those lazy and fake Floridians?"

Hey, at least she was being honest.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:52 PM

259 posts, read 840,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Some objective numbers on the job market:

The United States Department of Labor's last set of statistics lists FL as 9th out of 51 (includes Washington DC) for unemployment with an 11.2% unemployment rate. It's not just negativity for the sake of negativity.

The local newspaper just ran a story indicating that foreclosures increased 15% in November 2009 when compared to November 2008.

I am sure it is a great time to buy if you have money to do so, but IMO the negativity about the local economy is justified.

As far as rude people, there are rude people everywhere.
Sorry, to me it's just a different kind of rudeness in S. Florida. Of all the places I've visited and lived in America, I would have to say Miami takes the cake on the rudeness.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:49 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Thanks Momma, yours is always an opinion I value - it is the negativity about people that really bugs me. I think for the most part (not always) you receive what you give off.

Anyway, I'm back to trying again - we shall see what this summer brings us.
Well-I gave you objective numbers but there is no way (IMO) to spin an unemployment rate that is in excess of 11% as a positive. I am not a negative person by nature, but you have got to see these numbers for what they are.

It is unfair of those of us who are here to paint a rosy picture for you about the job/housing market. It's bad here. I wouldn't leave a steady job elsewhere for Fort Lauderdale even if you line up a job here. Sometimes people are negative for no reason at all, but you really have to see the negativity about the markets here as a very reasonable interpretation of current conditions.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Provitt View Post
Hello Everyone, I'm new to this. I was just surfing the net to find affordable and nice places to check out in Florida and came across this site. I don't know exactly when I'll move but I have been thinking about this for a long time. I really would like to move there when I do make up my mind. I work for the state here in Alabama and could possibly get a transfer, but I do have this medical condition that may eventually cause me to get a medical retirement. I suffer with sleep apnea and I drive from Troy to Montgomery. I sometimes drift off to sleep driving and at work. Yes, I know, a person like me don't need to drive. I'm taking meds that keeps me awake during those crucial hours of the day where I have to drive to work and from work. So, that's working out real good. So, right now I do want a change of scenery from Troy, Alabama and I chose Florida. I'll decide within the next year or so, hopefully by summer I'll know exactly what to do. I've lived in Los Angeles and Atlanta, but haven't experience Florida and it's weighing heavy on my mind. Don't know which city, but I think Florida is my next move. Not getting any younger, single, kids are grown, on their own and I'm tired of Alabama, love my State, but need the change.
South FL is a tough place to live if you need can't drive.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947 View Post
Sorry, to me it's just a different kind of rudeness in S. Florida. Of all the places I've visited and lived in America, I would have to say Miami takes the cake on the rudeness.
Can you give me a specific example of this?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:16 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Wanna see real rudeness? Go to Moscow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area