Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 12:03 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker954 View Post
I too am from NY and DC. This is my second xmas in So. Florida and my house is decorated to the max including a 14 foot chrsitmas tree in my living room. Gorgeous!!! It feels like Christmas to me. Everyone is here, all the family. I was up in DC this past weekend and had to dig out 20 inches of snow. I welcome the 80 degree weather. I do plan to take the harbor new river lights boat tour tonight (although its going to rain). Christmas is what you make it. merry christmas to all!!
I agree. I think we are just over it. I moved here in 1989. I want my kids to see the things that I saw as a child: colored leaves for fall, snow, fireplace, etc. We go all out as well. Decorations, huge real tree, multitude of presents that probably won't even fit under the tree at this point. LOL It is absolutely what you make it, however, sometimes you can't help how you feel regardless. Plus, everyone's circumstances may be different. I make the best of it for my kids, and we have a blast, of course. However, I need a change, and I need my children to see other things as well. Not everyone can be happy in South Florida, and not everyone has the same story, or the same needs/wants. Those of you who love it here...more power to ya! Everyone's different. So I think my reasons for not liking Christmas in S. Florida go beyond Christmas. I just don't really like SFla in general Merry Christmas!

Last edited by AJ1972; 12-24-2009 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 05:00 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
When family comes down to visit, we usually end up at the beach playing volleyball.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:29 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,178 times
I'm going to the beach tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:43 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
I have spent the past 2 Christmas in SW Florida. My younger daughter has been coming down (before she married). My older daughter last year had moved to Florida, but moved back in March. It was in the 80s last year. Depressing, for both me and my daughters. Just not the same. As my older daughter said, putting up Christmas lights in shorts doesn't cut it.

This year WE went North to them. SO MUCH BETTER. Cold and snow on the ground. So many houses with lights and outside decorations. Very pretty. We went to Radio City today to see the Rockettes and walked around. Very, very crowded. I am making dinner tomorrow at my daughter's house.

We were all talking today. Don't want to be in Florida next year either, IF I am still living in Florida. Judging by the number of Florida plates we saw on the road coming up (despite blizzard), many other "Floridians", and their children, feel the same.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:26 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Tan I hope u get home soon - I know how sad I feel here - I hope you get what you want very soon!

Old 12-25-2009, 11:23 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
your so right Chel...I know my friends and family up north wish they were in florida right about now especially after the 2ft of snow they had gotten...I just wish that people would just try and get back to where they are happy, as it gets a bit tiredsome hearing the same thing.....If one likes snow and the cold thats great, Not all of us are unhappy here...and the Holiday's are what u make of it..We miss our family and our friends terribly however this is where we are and happy to be here.....but all the negatives really dont need to be constantly put out there in every post....anyway Merry Christmas to all of you and hope Santa brought you everything you wanted

Old 12-25-2009, 11:45 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Hey berry there are negatives to every place - EVERY PLACE - individuals have to decide if pros out weigh the cons - for me pros out weigh the cons - I hope to meet you soon - hope you have a great holiday season!!

Old 12-25-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Hey berry there are negatives to every place - EVERY PLACE - individuals have to decide if pros out weigh the cons - for me pros out weigh the cons - I hope to meet you soon - hope you have a great holiday season!!
exactly my point there is no perfect place.....and some are happier in places that other people are not

cant wait to meet you once u get down here and you will

Old 12-25-2009, 12:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
your so right Chel...I know my friends and family up north wish they were in florida right about now especially after the 2ft of snow they had gotten...I just wish that people would just try and get back to where they are happy, as it gets a bit tiredsome hearing the same thing.....If one likes snow and the cold thats great, Not all of us are unhappy here...and the Holiday's are what u make of it..We miss our family and our friends terribly however this is where we are and happy to be here.....but all the negatives really dont need to be constantly put out there in every post....anyway Merry Christmas to all of you and hope Santa brought you everything you wanted
Agreed.
Some of us are trying to get out. It's just a matter of selling our place, relocating a job/or finding a new one, buying a house in the new place...we're def working on it.
However, when someone's post literally asks about how you feel about living in south Florida during Christmas, you're going to get positive and negative comments. It's a given.
P.S.
I'm one of "the one's" who doesn't really like SoFla. I'm one those who misses the cold, however, 2ft of snow is steep for me (it's been a long time since I lived in NY). This is why we're looking in between.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Agreed.
Some of us are trying to get out. It's just a matter of selling our place, relocating a job/or finding a new one, buying a house in the new place...we're def working on it.
However, when someone's post literally asks about how you feel about living in south Florida during Christmas, you're going to get positive and negative comments. It's a given.
P.S.
I'm one of "the one's" who doesn't really like SoFla. I'm one those who misses the cold, however, 2ft of snow is steep for me (it's been a long time since I lived in NY). This is why we're looking in between.
There ya go AJ...sounds like u can find the best of both worlds...lol

Hope you had a great holiday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area