Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:11 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,313,480 times

Advertisements

I worked in south Florida with one company for about 20 years, earning at the same scale as my colleagues in Tampa, where the cost of living is about 20% less. We brought this up to corporate, studies were done but then the whole thing was dropped with no resolve as to fair compensation. I believe that is more typical than unusual in the corporate world regarding pay in Florida which is treated as one place, even though the cost of living can vary greatly depending upon each area within the same state.

As to weather, Tampa, where I also live, seems about 5 to 10 degrees cooler than Fort Lauderdale in the summer and 5-15 degrees cooler in winter. The big difference and why I prefer Tampa is summer nights, which are much more tolerable than Fort Lauderdale as the temperature goes down a bit and it is not as humid. I can actually walk at night in summer in Tampa without sweating, a luxury unknown to me in Fort Lauderdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,422,346 times
The summer temperatures here are often in the upper 90's and low 100's, especially in August which is the hottest month. When you factor in humidity, it feels more like 115-120. FL heat is just as brutal as Nevada or Arizona heat, but in different ways. In FL, you sweat constantly. And it is hot & humid 24/7. Out west, at least you get a break at night. Here it is hot at 2:00 A.M.

So this argument about which is worse is very subjective. Which is worse? 120 degree dry heat? Or 95 degree wet heat that feels like 120 degrees where you sweat constantly?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 PM

238 posts, read 572,735 times
not so sure about that...i've been in south florida when it was 95 and humid and also in Las Vegas when it was 110 and dry...and the 110 and dry seemed to feel a lot worse to me...especially with the desert sun shining down and little cloud cover in the sky...

at least in south florida...you can get breezes that help temper it and it's not always all sun...lots of days it is partly cloudy which helps also...

have you spent much time in the desert states in the summer?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,093,890 times
I also think the 5 months of hot weather has probably been understated, it is more like 6 months because October isn't exactly a cool month here...

The numbers are deceptive. Florida is knon in the US as one of the hottest and most uncomfortable areas around. While it gets hotter in many other places, the insanely high humidity here coupled with daily low to mid 90s in the day and low 80s at night make heat indees above 100 degrees.

If you dislike the heat, you will hate it here. Jobs also pay very low....but the area has many other advantages. Winters are gorgeous, so from November to April you can count on having usually sunny and mild weather...and the lifestlye here is great with the beach, access to travel to exotic places nearby, lots of entertainment...so I wouldn't rule Ft. Lauderdale off based on heat alone, I mean everywhere here is air conditioned and all apartments have pools. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:26 PM

craig>

There is no breeze here, unless you are on the beach or inlet. There is some wind during the winter months, but not for the other 9 months. The air is at a standstill here pretty much all of the time. And the clouds do not block out much sun here. That is because they are at a higher altitude than most of the rest of the U.S. Also, the humidity negates whatever benefit you get from having cloud cover. That is why you can sit on a covered porch in a rocking chair and it is just as hot here as if you were directly under the sun. That is what humidity does.

And yes, I have been to the desert states in the summer, and yes it was hot. The main different I noticed was how I did not sweat very much, but my lips chapped up really badly. I hate that dry skin feeling. That is one reason I like FL better despite sweating. But here you sweat constantly, even after stepping outside for 1 second at midnight.

Last edited by Nolefan34; 01-15-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 PM

chelito>

The hot & humid weather goes much longer than 6 months. It goes from March to November. That said, March and November are not nearly as bad as July, August, or September. But they are still hot and very humid. People underestimate the humidity here. It makes it feel a lot hotter than the temperature.

And you are correct that S. FL is arguably the hottest, most uncomfortable area of the U.S. for most of the year. There is a reason why half of the people leave during the summer and go elsewhere for cooler weather. Some states like Virginia or South Carolina get higher temperatures during the summer months at times, but they don't have the same humidity.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM

238 posts, read 572,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
craig>

And yes, I have been to the desert states in the summer, and yes it was hot. The main different I noticed was how I did not sweat very much, but my lips chapped up really badly. I hate that dry skin feeling. That is one reason I like FL better despite sweating. But here you sweat constantly, even after stepping outside for 1 second at midnight.
You might prefer to live in Tampa then, as was previously pointed out, it is generally cooler both in winter and summer as well, especially at night...

And yes, in the desert your skin really does get very dry...humidity is good for the skin...it needs moisture

Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times
Quote:
The summer temperatures here are often in the upper 90's and low 100's, especially in August which is the hottest month.
Maybe you live in Arizona?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Maybe you live in Arizona?
Huh?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times
Quote:
Huh?
The records are in the upper 90s, I don't think it has ever exceeded 100 in actual temperature down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area