Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 PM

8 posts, read 21,523 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating to Ft Lauderdale for a new job. One of the reasons I'm looking at moving is because I prefer cooler weather and hate where I am now. However, when I talked to people they kept telling me how hot it is in Florida and it's a tourist destination because of its year round warm weather.

But from what I've read the max temp in Ft Lauderdale is usually only around 90F (32C) in summer and the record high high was 101 F (38C).

Are temperatures like 101F (38C) really unusual or do you often hit that range for a period during summer? And is it really warm weather all year round?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,777,722 times
It usually stays in the 90s in the summer. But usually this is accompanied by high humidity.

It cools off in the winter.

Right now we are all freezing our butts off with temps dipping below 50 and even lower, near freezing. There are freeze warnings.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm particularly interested in the highs as I really dislike long periods of hot weather. When you say it stays in the 90s during summer does that mean it's normally around the mid-90s for about three months, or is it only on a few rare days that it hits the mid-high 90s?

I think high 80s and low 90s is not too bad. I'd find that pretty tolerable.

Right now where I live the week's temperature forecasts are :
Thur = 96.8
Fri = 102.2
Sat = 105.8
Sun = 105.8
Mon = 105.8

To me this is too hot. If Ft Lauderdale is 15 - 20 degrees lower than this for most of summer I think it'd be much more tolerable. The people who keep telling me how hot it is in Florida tend to be from London, so I think they regard anything over 80 as hot!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:46 AM

238 posts, read 572,843 times
I don't currently live in South Florida (though i am at this point actually considering relocating within the next year or so)...but i have been going down there for MANY years, because my dad lives there....

As far as the weather, i have been there in summer and winter too...

In summer it is mostly low 90s with high humidity, which sometimes is tempered by an afternoon shower and if you live within a few miles of the ocean...breezes do help also..

But no..not 100s...never seen that....in the desert states like Nevada...it is 105 plus most days with low humidity...i have been there too when it was like that...

I'll take the 90s with humidity any day...over 108 with low humidity....

In the winter in South Florida..it's mostly in the 70s...except when there is a cold snap like they are having now...and it's unusually cold there right now..even for a south fl cold snap...

must be all that "global warming" Al Gore keeps talking about.....

Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,738,466 times
Moo - I don't know what you mean by exessive heat - 90's HHH for about 5 months can ve exessive for someone who doesn't like heat! I personally love the weather so it is not an issue for me but if you like cool I don't think Florida should be a first choice - the weather being experienced now is NOT the norm.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,677,529 times
I think you'd hate it here. Aim for a climate like southern California's. Not too hot, not too cold. The 90 degree temperatures last quite a while and no matter the temperature, unless you're a fan of the "sauna feeling," you won't like it. We have very few dry days.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times
It's in the 40s right now, but overall, it might be a relief for you if your from Bangkok.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,254,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I think you'd hate it here. Aim for a climate like southern California's. Not too hot, not too cold. The 90 degree temperatures last quite a while and no matter the temperature, unless you're a fan of the "sauna feeling," you won't like it. We have very few dry days.
I agree. I don't know where you are from but this heat is not like 90 degrees in Arizona. This is HIGH humidity. 90 in Miami equals 110 in Nevada please keep that in mind. My college roommate was from the Middle East and he came here in August and said "Damn, its hot!" on his first day

Old 01-07-2010, 12:45 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,336,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moobar View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm particularly interested in the highs as I really dislike long periods of hot weather. When you say it stays in the 90s during summer does that mean it's normally around the mid-90s for about three months, or is it only on a few rare days that it hits the mid-high 90s?

I think high 80s and low 90s is not too bad. I'd find that pretty tolerable.

Right now where I live the week's temperature forecasts are :
Thur = 96.8
Fri = 102.2
Sat = 105.8
Sun = 105.8
Mon = 105.8

To me this is too hot. If Ft Lauderdale is 15 - 20 degrees lower than this for most of summer I think it'd be much more tolerable. The people who keep telling me how hot it is in Florida tend to be from London, so I think they regard anything over 80 as hot!

I have lived all over the world ... I am curious - where did you say you live? Perhaps I may have missed that in an earlier post of yours.

Based on world temperatures for the past and current week none match what you stated.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 PM

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I forgot to mention I live in Australia. Our summers are generally hot and we often get long streaks of 100+ temperatures.

I'd actually love to live in the cooler northern parts of the U.S or Canada but the job offer I have on hand is for Florida. It sounds like moving there isn't going to make things any better for me with regards to a cooler climate. If you guys have five months of high temperature, high humidity weather it may even be worse.

I've also read that the salaries in Florida are pretty low so the salary package i'm waiting for may turn out to be much lower than I was anticipating. For someone in Australia we have this idea that equivalent jobs in the U.S are paid a lot more! After reading the forums here I can see that some wages are actually much lower in the Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area