Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:31 AM

469 posts, read 1,328,351 times

Advertisements

Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a charter school? (we don't have these in my area in Illinois). I am a credit check away from relocating (St. Andrews apts. in Weston). I understand that my kids will attend Eagle Point elementary but then I seen this "charter school" and I wanted to make sure I was not overlooking another option. I also seen one in Pembroke Pines so it seems to be more prevelant in that area. (We were almost set on a apt. in P. Pines but then after much reading, researching, etc. decided FINALLY on St. Andrews in Weston).

Thankx in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:39 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
A charter school is a publicly funded school that is operated privately. The school has to meet all health and safety requirements of public schools, but can be operated under different rules than other public schools. Students are required to take the state tests (FCAT).

My youngest son is at Imagine Charter in Weston. My older 2 graduated from there and went on to private middle school afterwards. We were happy with the school.

The school is heavily hispanic. That bothers some people, but we have had very good experiences with our Latin American friends/acquaintances (we are not hispanic).

Old 01-12-2010, 12:47 PM

Can I ask-- what made you choose the charter school as opposed to Eagle point?

Old 01-12-2010, 01:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
We were not zoned for Eagle Point. My oldest went to first grade at Gator Run. We were not happy with Gator Run and were looking for alternatives and Imagine Charter (it had a different name) was a new school that was opening.

At the time (9 years ago) Savanna and WHCC had a lot of construction, Manatee Bay was not open and Gator Run was adding students at an alarming rate. My son started in a class of 33, they opened a new section of 1st grade that brought the class size down to 27 and all the classes were back to 33 by the end of the year. There were 10 sections of first grade that year. It was to chaotic and unstable.

It is my understanding that the numbers have stabilized. My neighborhood is no longer zoned for Gator Run. We are now zoned for Manatee Bay. My neighbors have mixed results at Manatee Bay. I know a few people at Eagle Point and have not heard anything bad about the school

Old 01-12-2010, 03:00 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a charter school? (we don't have these in my area in Illinois). I am a credit check away from relocating (St. Andrews apts. in Weston). I understand that my kids will attend Eagle Point elementary but then I seen this "charter school" and I wanted to make sure I was not overlooking another option. I also seen one in Pembroke Pines so it seems to be more prevelant in that area. (We were almost set on a apt. in P. Pines but then after much reading, researching, etc. decided FINALLY on St. Andrews in Weston).

Thankx in advance!!

Momma-Bear answered to you perfectly, but I just wanted to say WELCOME!!!

You need to let me know when you are coming, because that's where I live and I would love to get together with you at the pool. Once a month we have little potluck parties by the pool (haven't done one in a while). I understand our children are the same age. I have a 4 year old boy and right now we are also deciding between Eagle Point and Imagine Charter.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:08 PM

YEA!! a friend already. We are just waiting for the credit approval then we will be there. I have a daughter 9, 2 sons 6 and 3. I will be a SAHM for a while since hubby will be working LONG hours. I will need a mom to show me the ropes. Potlucks-- YUM!! what a way to get acquainted!!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
YEA!! a friend already. We are just waiting for the credit approval then we will be there. I have a daughter 9, 2 sons 6 and 3. I will be a SAHM for a while since hubby will be working LONG hours. I will need a mom to show me the ropes. Potlucks-- YUM!! what a way to get acquainted!!
Sure thing!!! There is another mom who lives in a complex, she is from Chicago too, she has a daughter who is 7. There are tons of kids in the community that your kids can play with.
Did you already pick an apartment?

I'm a newbie myself, but I will be happy to show you around!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:49 AM

My husband seen a model yesterday. Ours is vacant and near the front right by the clubhouse he said?? I have only seen pics online. Howare the grounds? Is it walkable around the complex? I ended up making the choice of St. Andrews because the townhomes we seen (San Mateo, Messina, Simeon) were right on top of each other and there was NO place at all to even take a short walk. Square footage wise and price its about the same so I figured I'd forget the townhouse and go with the amenities. Also you have to jump through more loops with the HOAs to get approval etc. etc. and I didn't want the drama...

Old 01-13-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
My husband seen a model yesterday. Ours is vacant and near the front right by the clubhouse he said?? I have only seen pics online. Howare the grounds? Is it walkable around the complex? I ended up making the choice of St. Andrews because the townhomes we seen (San Mateo, Messina, Simeon) were right on top of each other and there was NO place at all to even take a short walk. Square footage wise and price its about the same so I figured I'd forget the townhouse and go with the amenities. Also you have to jump through more loops with the HOAs to get approval etc. etc. and I didn't want the drama...
The community is small, only about 200 homes, so everything and everyone is in walking distance. You don't need to jump in the car to visit a neighbor and anywhere you live, the pool and the clubhouse is in walking distance. The pool is not heated, so it's pretty much just good to look at this time of the year, but it's clean and during the summer there are a lot of people get together and lounge around or swim. Tennis court and volleyball court is right next to the pool. Our clubhouse did parties for both, Halloween and Christmas which was fun. They catered food and drinks to us. One major downfall for us is the hot tub. There is one, but many days it's not hot or clean enough for me to go in. One of my coworkers who had lived here for a long time said to me that all her friends had sex in St.Andrews hot tub at some point, because the community is not gated. There is a beautiful gate in front of it, but it's automatic so anyone can drive in and there is no gate around it.
If you become friends with the maintance guys, they are quick to come and help when you need them to fix something. On the general, the management is pretty nice. It's 3 women, one of them is supernice and the other 2, depending on the time of the month. LOL. Kidding, overall, I've never had problems with them and neither did my husband.
Please keep me posted when you are moving!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times
I know a good porion of potential drop-outs and kids with bad grades go to Charter Schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area