Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM

41 posts, read 205,799 times

Advertisements

That's to funny. I was a waiter at the Hidden Harbor rest in the mid to late 70's. I loved moonraker and Yesterdays. But the one restaurant I am thinking about was a place know to get stone crabs. It was on the water. had a great bar with Sinatra type music and I am thinking a piano. maybe it was the down under, Maybe I am thinking even farther south, but you are right it had a dock with a bunch of four tops that had a great view. I do so wish my memory was better

Anyways thanks for the answer and the trip back in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,739 times
Arubas???

Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 PM

41 posts, read 205,799 times
No... it was the late 70's and it was on the intracostal, That is if my old mind serves me

Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,643,053 times
That era of relaxed dinning is all gone. I still remember my fav restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, gone right after the tragedy of 911 in NYC, the "Burt & Jack's" in the port of Everglades where jackets were requested for men and night gaunts for woman. Also the "Jackson's" on Las Olas Boulevard, where you can pass by and still see the sign above the door entrance. "Left Bank" was another of my favs, off Las Olas by the tunnel, where te waiter used to surprise me with "something" very personable from the Cheff to be tested. "Black Orchid" , another of my favorites, on A1A south of Oakland Park Blvd is gone also.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 PM

443 posts, read 895,311 times
Night gaunts?

Old 01-16-2011, 10:42 PM

500 posts, read 747,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPuerini View Post
The Restaurant you are talking about was called "The Down Under", on the SW corner of the intracoastal. But it was on the sw corner of Oakland Park Blvd and the intracoastal, not Commercial blvd. The restaurant on the NW corner across from Down Under was The Moonraker. I know because I was a waiter there in 1975. Moonraker sold out to Yesterdays in the late 70's/early 80's. Then Yesterdays went out around 6 years ago. Down under was there for a long time after that and finally closed in early 2000's. These 2 restaurants were hallmarks of another era, which, I'm afraid is all but gone. The ambiance in the Moonraker was reminescant of the 1940's. We had a piano player named Gwen who was wonderful and sang as well. Yachts were docked outside the windows while entire families would come inside, well dressed and dine to the tune of Filet Mignon and escargot. Many would request their favorite waiter or waitress. We had both. The Down Under was just as nice but it had its own individual style. These kind of restauants are becoming rare indeed. Things back then were more relaxed and the dining experience was nothing like today. It was definately sad to see these places gone.
You are so right! I have many memories of both Yesterdays and The Down Under. My parents took me and my brothers when we were teenagers, so that we could learn about fine dining. We also used to eat at Dante's on US 1, which was very traditional. Wow! Great memories.

I am still trying to remember the name of a restaurant that used to be on the lower level at the Galleria Mall in the 80's. It was in the middle of the court (not the food court!) and had the best Cobb salad. Anyone remember it? I would love to find that salad again.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,188 times
Default Moonraker

Thanks for the memories and sharing what happened to the Moonraker. The company my mother worked for in Atlanta kept a yacht at Bahia Mar in Fort Lauderdale. She took me along for one of her vacations in the late 60's/early 70's and the yacht was tied up at the Moonraker while we dined. Can't remember anything about the restaurant but do remember the young men with their "sailor" type outfits assisting the Captain with the ropes of the yacht. I thought my Mother was incredibly cool for taking me along. She got an electric golf cart on that trip at Ocean Reef and we rode all around the million dollar neighborhood with no one there because it was "off season". Again, thanks for the memories. Elise in Asheville

Old 11-02-2013, 12:13 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
I would have said for sure it was Stan's. Just Stan's, not Stan's on the Water. I didn't get to Ft. Lauderdale until 1979-80, but as I recall Stan's was at the southwest corner of Commercial at the Intracoastal and you could eat and watch the boats go by.

But, thanks for the mentions of all those restaurants. I have to say, Ft. Lauderdale in the 1980s had some of the best. dining. ever. All different kinds of food, all price ranges. I so enjoyed it. Where did they get all those great chefs, I wonder? And almost everywhere had excellent service.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:31 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Fort Lauderdale in the 1980's

Definitely was the place to be.

I never went to Stan's but my parents did. I am trying to remember that restaurant at Galleria - I did eat there and I will remember it.

Yesterdays and Down Under - amazing; only went there once - we were young and they were for very special occasions. My sister used to love Left Bank and the chef was wonderful. I always wanted to go there but didn't get to. I understand the owner got a great deal for the land and closed it.

Jackson's, unfortunately, got bought by Scott Rothstein and all his Ponzi scheme stuff. Really awful b/c I heard Jackson's was an amazing restaurant.

Lauderdale was a great place to be in the 1980's. However, a lot of us moved to Boca (LOL).

Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Definitely was the place to be.

I never went to Stan's but my parents did. I am trying to remember that restaurant at Galleria - I did eat there and I will remember it.

Yesterdays and Down Under - amazing; only went there once - we were young and they were for very special occasions. My sister used to love Left Bank and the chef was wonderful. I always wanted to go there but didn't get to. I understand the owner got a great deal for the land and closed it.

Jackson's, unfortunately, got bought by Scott Rothstein and all his Ponzi scheme stuff. Really awful b/c I heard Jackson's was an amazing restaurant.

Lauderdale was a great place to be in the 1980's. However, a lot of us moved to Boca (LOL).
Definitely check out our Ft. Lauderdale in the 1980s thread on this forum:

Fort lauderdale in the 1980s

The most incrediblbe dining and entertainment. That was a real moment in time. Kind of like the Roaring 20s. I like to say that Ft. Lauderdale practically invented the 1980s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area