Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,336 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Plantation- love the neighborhood but the middle and high schools are awful! My parents refused to send me to them, but I know kids who went. I just wanted to offer the non-private school suggestion of lottery-enrolled schools like Nova. Nova is a great school in Davie and my brother was able to go there living in Plantation. We then both went to McFatter Technical, also in Davie. If you have not heard of this school, it is a different concept- you trade traditional "high school things" like sports teams, band, or drama but in exchange you can get certified in programs like culinary arts, computer programming, nursing, auto repair, photography, and more. It is a very small campus (never more than 600 students), and is also very safe. Just another option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 11:48 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,677,529 times
My son had a good friend at McFatter. She seemed very happy there (graduated last year). Good suggestions.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:52 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,056,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If it makes you feel any better we live in Weston and we have our kids in private school because we don't like the schools here. They are safer than Plantation/South Plantation, but they are still unacceptable to us. We moved to Weston because of the schools but we liked Plantation better. It's funny how things work out.
Schools in Weston are MUCH safer than in Plantation and are more highly regarded ... I know that is not saying much by Florida standards but it is accurate .

Old 02-14-2010, 04:16 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,806,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Schools in Weston are MUCH safer than in Plantation and are more highly regarded ... I know that is not saying much by Florida standards but it is accurate .
But they still stink.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 PM

64 posts, read 181,941 times
How do Weston schools compare to Boca and West Palm?

Old 02-18-2010, 05:58 AM

112 posts, read 412,535 times
Quote:
The thing is that many (maybe even most) of the neighborhoods that feed to Plantation HS are nice, non ghetto neighborhoods. However, there are some rough neighborhoods that feed to Plantation HS that ruin the HS, without ruining all of the neighborhoods.
exactly. I have a much better middle school (Indian Ridge) that is actually closer to my home than Plantation Middle. I live way west of PM. This is a neighborhood with pro athletes and multi million dollar homes (ok, like 2 million now, but in 2005-2006? MULTI million, LOL). I live in a smaller home (MUCH smaller) but I am surrounded by horse farms and quiet neighbors. It is really paradise, as far as I am comcerned!

and what tshizzle said is true. I would fear for my child's safety at PM or PHS.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 AM

112 posts, read 412,535 times
Not sure if this page has been posted...this is a neat site in general...

Student Teacher Ratio Plantation High School - Plantation, Florida - FL

Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 PM

64 posts, read 181,941 times

Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,738,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche060 View Post
You might want to put this question in the Boca Forum and ask if anyone has moved from Weston to Boca and if they like the schools better.

Grade wise - I think all the schools are about the same, but I believe that Cypress Bay and Spanish River are considered neighborhood schools - West Boca and Boca can be applied to, therefore, allowing other elements aside from the neighborhood kids into the school. This may be good or bad - I honestly couldn't tell you. I will tell you this all the schools in Boca have an A rating and I think the Highschool in Weston now has a B (i think). Good luck!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 PM

182 posts, read 499,746 times
Quote:
But they still stink.

I have myself so confused over schools.

Is it fair to say elementary and middle schools are gr8 in Weston but not high schools? I am happy to go public and then sort out affordability for high school later - I like the scholarship option MB and AH seems amazing if i could get the scholarships.

Or are ele/middle good in each of PP, Weston and Plantation? sorry to be repeating myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area