Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Okay...I just made an executive decision - how bout Cheesecake Factory @ Sawgrass? The discussion in the fish taco thread is making giving me a craving for theirs!
That's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:27 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,662 times
Lol, Plantation High? If you are coming from Detroit and Harlem, then that would be fine. Putting any decent child into that school would constitute child abuse and you risk jail time.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:27 AM

65 posts, read 244,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
Lol, Plantation High? If you are coming from Detroit and Harlem, then that would be fine. Putting any decent child into that school would constitute child abuse and you risk jail time.
As a parent whose child may attend this school, I have yet to see an example of how this school is dangerous.

It clearly needs help academically.

Can someone provide numbers on the amount of student deaths at the school? School beatings? Theft? Gang incidents?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:53 AM
vr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phodg2 View Post
As a parent whose child may attend this school, I have yet to see an example of how this school is dangerous.

Can someone provide numbers on the amount of student deaths at the school? School beatings? Theft? Gang incidents?

Look. There are dangerous parts of Broward County. Plantation High very much constitutes that crowd.

Moderator cut: racist

The problem isn't academic, the problem is that students flat out make it impossible to teach. They constantly fight, badger each other, yell at teachers, and are more concerned about hip hop than learning. I experienced this 8 years ago when my girlfriend at the time was transferred to Moderator cut: racist Miramar and teachers had absolutely zero control of the classroom - at little fault to the teachers. The students are absolutely out of control to a point where it's nearly impossible to teach classes. So the teachers end up just doing what they can to get through the days.

I was also dating a Broward schools teacher just last year who taught at a Title 1 school thinking she'd be able to help the under-priveledged. That attitude changed after a couple weeks but she finished the school year and transferred to a Coral Springs school this year. My neighbor is a teacher as well who teaches in a school similar to Plantation High.

Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by fauve; 04-22-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
and I just wrote this really nice thing to her LOL!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:07 PM
vr2

Unfortunately, we live in an area with very real race issues that the media and many folks in power try and hide under the rug.

Moderator cut: discussing moderator actionspeople need the truth the most when making decisions that could seriously impact their lives and the lives of their children.

Anyone who lives down here knows the realities of how things work and which areas are safe and which are not and for what reasons. Moderator cut: discussing moderation is against tos

Last edited by fauve; 04-20-2010 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderation in public forum is against tos

Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phodg2 View Post

Most schools with high levels of free/reduced lunch have inner city problems associated with poverty. Plantation HS had only 16% on free/reduced lunch in 2003. In 2008 47% were on free/reduced lunch.

My comments do not mean that every kid on free lunch is a criminal. However, wherever you see larger numbers of kids on free lunch, the types of problems that follow poverty tend to follow in that community. Plantation HS has the typical urban problems that you expect in a school where half the kids are eligible for free lunch. I am sure there are good kids at that school but it is known to have urban school issues.

It's not as bad as Dillard, Stranahan or Piper but it's not that great either.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Most schools with high levels of free/reduced lunch have inner city problems associated with poverty. Plantation HS had only 16% on free/reduced lunch in 2003. In 2008 47% were on free/reduced lunch.

My comments do not mean that every kid on free lunch is a criminal. However, wherever you see larger numbers of kids on free lunch, the types of problems that follow poverty tend to follow in that community. Plantation HS has the typical urban problems that you expect in a school where half the kids are eligible for free lunch. I am sure there are good kids at that school but it is known to have urban school issues.

It's not as bad as Dillard, Stranahan or Piper but it's not that great either.
Had to rep you for this - very informative without being insulting. I know VR means well but Pho is a nice person looking for a real reasons and I think both you and he explained it - your way was a little nicer.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:13 PM
vr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Had to rep you for this - very informative without being insulting. I know VR means well but Pho is a nice person looking for a real reasons and I think both you and he explained it - your way was a little nicer.

Yes yes Chelsa, I know. I have a habit of "telling it like it is" in a non-sugar coated way.

Many people appreciate it, some don't. Those who don't tend to be the same people trying to hide the problems under the rug and pretend they don't exist.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
Yes yes Chelsa, I know. I have a habit of "telling it like it is" in a non-sugar coated way.

Many people appreciate it, some don't. Those who don't tend to be the same people trying to hide the problems under the rug and pretend they don't exist.
Vr - are you trying to get slick right now? I am having difficulty reading between the lines here.

I agree with what you are saying for the most part - I love that you are direct! Makes things much easier - no sifting through crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area