Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:41 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
Note: the further west you go, the lower the insurance is.
This is not necessarily true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 08:40 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
In my experiences, Tampa/St. Petersburg drivers are FAST compared to the ones down here. South Florida is the land of left lane hogs doing 55 in a 70 zone, and people here creepy s-l-o-w-l-y from a green light, if they even go at all. In Tampa, it's not uncommon to have another driver logged up your ass as you go 70 in a 55 zone in the right lane, or have some quasi-redneck in a pickup truck ride your bumper from a stop light. Drivers in Tampa/St Pete drive very differently from points to the north and south, and tend to drive pretty aggressively!
LOL - Compelled where are you originally from again?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
In my experiences, Tampa/St. Petersburg drivers are FAST compared to the ones down here. South Florida is the land of left lane hogs doing 55 in a 70 zone, and people here creepy s-l-o-w-l-y from a green light, if they even go at all. In Tampa, it's not uncommon to have another driver logged up your ass as you go 70 in a 55 zone in the right lane, or have some quasi-redneck in a pickup truck ride your bumper from a stop light. Drivers in Tampa/St Pete drive very differently from points to the north and south, and tend to drive pretty aggressively!

Yeah, I guess I was thinking more about drivers on the Naples - Sarasota stretch.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
LOL - Compelled where are you originally from again?
Born in NYC, raised all over the place, but went to high school in Davie.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
username>

My take on Tampa vs. Fort Lauderdale-

1. Tampa is considerably more laid back than Fort Lauderdale, no question. There is less nightlife and the pace of life is very slow on the entire west coast. Tampa is not as slow as Ft. Myers, Naples, and other west coast cities though. Fort Lauderdale is a faster pace, but you can still enjoy a slow pace by living in the western suburbs. Which is more desireable? That is subject to one's opinion/tastes. Personally, the west coast is way too slow for me. I would get bored quickly there. I prefer a faster pace of life with more things to do in the area. But many people prefer a very slow pace. It just depends on what you like.

In terms of things to do, Fort Lauderdale has more options. There is a wider array of types of restaurants, whereas in Tampa you find more of the typical chain restaurants (Outback, Roadhouse, other steakhouses) dominating the area.

2. The drivers- Neither area has good drivers. Traffic/drivers should not be a determining factor in your decision. But I disagree with the other poster. Fort Lauderdale has more aggressive drivers. Yes it is true that there are many left-lane hogs that do 55 on the Interstate, and that annoys me. Left lanes are for passing-only, but people disgregard the rules of the road. But there are just as many if not more slow drivers in Tampa.

3. The people- Both areas are diverse, but Tampa has more retired Mid-Westerners that moved down and old Southerners. Fort Lauderdale has a higher % of New Yorkers and New Englanders, although both areas have lots of those.

4. Disney- You would be much closer in Tampa. Ft. Lauderdale is a 4 hour drive. But honestly, how often do you plan to go to Disney? Most people in FL rarely go. I grew up in FL and Disney gets old after the 3rd or 4th time and is very expensive. I went probably 5-6 times during my childhood and by the 5th time it got boring. You will get bored of Disney quickly, plus dropping $100-200 dollars per visit. It is something you do once a year at most.

5. Tiger Spring Trainer-If you are an avid fan who needs to attend every spring-training game, then yes you would be much better off living in Tampa. But if you only go to 1 or 2, Fort Lauderdale is only a 4 hour trip. You could make it a day trip if you leave early in the morning and come back at night.

6. Crime- pretty much a wash. Both cities have average murder rates, but higher than average property crime, assaults, batteries, burglaries, robberies, car-jackings, etc.

7. Beaches- Fort Lauderdale/east coast has better beaches. They are more accessible to the public, and there are actually waves. Clearwater/St. Pete beaches are not that nice, so I disagree with the other poster. Clearwater beach had very little beach, and you cannot swim out beyond 100 feet as it is roped off. The west-coast outside of the Tampa area (Naples, Ft. Myers, etc) have beautiful beaches, but how does that apply to someone living in Tampa? Also, Naples and Ft. Myers beaches are difficult to get to. They are typically far away from the mainland and charge an arm and a leg to park/tolls for bridge. Sanibel Island is the biggest tourist trap known to man. The beaches are nice, but not that much nicer than any other beach in FL. I like the sand on the west coast beaches better, as it is pure white hour-glass sand. The east coast sand is a brownish color.

8. Location in proximity to other cities- A wash. In Tampa you are a short drive from Orlando. In Ft. Lauderdale you are close to Miami and West Palm Beach. In Tampa you are closer to the state line, and you can get to Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and Valdosta much quicker. If you travel very long distances like to New York, Texas, or Michigan, you are better off flying regardless of which city you live in, so its really a wash.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:29 PM

8 posts, read 19,453 times
I don't mind a slower pace. At this point in my life with two small kids, I don't do the nightlife thing like I used to. I spend my weekends in the summer boating or riding jet skis. Don't really eat out very much. I've been looking at some suburbs of Tampa and they remind me of some Detroit suburbs but with a Florida twist.

I looked at the crime rate of Tampa on this site and it had a crime index over 1000 not long ago. It was actually higher than Detroit one year and yet I only hear about Detroit's crime Anyways it looks like it has dropped significantly. What has Tampa done and can they tell Dave Bing? Is it just the police are not reporting crime and/or hiding crime?

I have been a season ticket holder for the Tigers since Comerica opened so I basically would substitute spring training for the real season. Whether it's Ft Lauderdale or Tampa, I do intend to buy tickets for the Tigers series against the Rays.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
these are all excellent points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
username>

My take on Tampa vs. Fort Lauderdale-

1. Tampa is considerably more laid back than Fort Lauderdale, no question. There is less nightlife and the pace of life is very slow on the entire west coast. Tampa is not as slow as Ft. Myers, Naples, and other west coast cities though. Fort Lauderdale is a faster pace, but you can still enjoy a slow pace by living in the western suburbs. Which is more desireable? That is subject to one's opinion/tastes. Personally, the west coast is way too slow for me. I would get bored quickly there. I prefer a faster pace of life with more things to do in the area. But many people prefer a very slow pace. It just depends on what you like.

In terms of things to do, Fort Lauderdale has more options. There is a wider array of types of restaurants, whereas in Tampa you find more of the typical chain restaurants (Outback, Roadhouse, other steakhouses) dominating the area.

2. The drivers- Neither area has good drivers. Traffic/drivers should not be a determining factor in your decision. But I disagree with the other poster. Fort Lauderdale has more aggressive drivers. Yes it is true that there are many left-lane hogs that do 55 on the Interstate, and that annoys me. Left lanes are for passing-only, but people disgregard the rules of the road. But there are just as many if not more slow drivers in Tampa.

3. The people- Both areas are diverse, but Tampa has more retired Mid-Westerners that moved down and old Southerners. Fort Lauderdale has a higher % of New Yorkers and New Englanders, although both areas have lots of those.

4. Disney- You would be much closer in Tampa. Ft. Lauderdale is a 4 hour drive. But honestly, how often do you plan to go to Disney? Most people in FL rarely go. I grew up in FL and Disney gets old after the 3rd or 4th time and is very expensive. I went probably 5-6 times during my childhood and by the 5th time it got boring. You will get bored of Disney quickly, plus dropping $100-200 dollars per visit. It is something you do once a year at most.

5. Tiger Spring Trainer-If you are an avid fan who needs to attend every spring-training game, then yes you would be much better off living in Tampa. But if you only go to 1 or 2, Fort Lauderdale is only a 4 hour trip. You could make it a day trip if you leave early in the morning and come back at night.

6. Crime- pretty much a wash. Both cities have average murder rates, but higher than average property crime, assaults, batteries, burglaries, robberies, car-jackings, etc.

7. Beaches- Fort Lauderdale/east coast has better beaches. They are more accessible to the public, and there are actually waves. Clearwater/St. Pete beaches are not that nice, so I disagree with the other poster. Clearwater beach had very little beach, and you cannot swim out beyond 100 feet as it is roped off. The west-coast outside of the Tampa area (Naples, Ft. Myers, etc) have beautiful beaches, but how does that apply to someone living in Tampa? Also, Naples and Ft. Myers beaches are difficult to get to. They are typically far away from the mainland and charge an arm and a leg to park/tolls for bridge. Sanibel Island is the biggest tourist trap known to man. The beaches are nice, but not that much nicer than any other beach in FL. I like the sand on the west coast beaches better, as it is pure white hour-glass sand. The east coast sand is a brownish color.

8. Location in proximity to other cities- A wash. In Tampa you are a short drive from Orlando. In Ft. Lauderdale you are close to Miami and West Palm Beach. In Tampa you are closer to the state line, and you can get to Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and Valdosta much quicker. If you travel very long distances like to New York, Texas, or Michigan, you are better off flying regardless of which city you live in, so its really a wash.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:28 PM

I thought Clearwater held the rank of the best beach in USA at some point?

Also you have Sarasota/Bradenton/Anna Maria Island beaches nearby which are very nice.

Coquina beach in Bradenton is great.

And then there is Siesta Key, Lido Key and Longboat Key in Sarasota. Siesta Key has the most awesome sand you wil Ever experience. It is so fine, it crunches under your feet, like snow or like starch. And it is white.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:29 PM

On the other hand I like the Cuban/Venezuelan/Colombian cultural influence (minus their driving habits ) in Fort Lauderdale.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 AM

238 posts, read 576,253 times
excellent descriptive comparison on Fort Lauderdale vs Tampa, Nolefan34....when you get a chance i would love to get your comparison on Fort Lauderdale vs West Palm Beach (comparison of areas plus comparison of the downtowns as well)....

i think i have pretty much eliminated Tampa from the areas i would choose from...i think it would be more or less down to either Fort Lauderdale area or the West Palm Beach area...

downtown West Palm Beach seemed cuter and looks like it has more potential...but i'd love your feedback on the two areas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area