Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 04:47 PM

6 posts, read 13,197 times

Advertisements

We are a progressive family moving to North Miami or Fort Lauderdale area. By progressive I mean we don't mind living in a mixed socio-economic area as long as it's safe. With our rental budget of less then $1000 a month for a 2 bedroom it's also likely we can't live in the 'best' areas. I also would like to be as close to the beach as possible. I hope all these requirements don't sound impossible. One good thing is that my mom is paying for my kids to go to private school so the school district is no longer a criteria. So does anyone know of any areas in north miami and fort lauderdale that fit this description?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 06:44 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
Check out the Hollywood beach area.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
Hollywood Beach might work, but you'll have to downgrade to a lesser apt. Anything in Miami-Dade County is going to be more expensive, especially near the water in a safe neighborhood. I would suggest living further west in Broward County. Try the city of Plantation. It is quieter than the areas near the beach, but you can get a very nice apartment for 1000/mo. Plantation is generally a diverse, younger population for a suburb area. There are lots of stores, a major mall, and convenient access to several expressways including 595, 95, and the Turnpike. The beach is about a 20 minute commute from Plantation. Downtown Fort Lauderdale/Las Olas entertainment area is about 15 minutes at night.

In general, it will be nearly impossible to find a rental that meets your criteria in a beach/ocean front community. When you add in the cost of utilities, cable, and internet you can expect to add an extra 200/mo on top of your rent.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 AM

6 posts, read 13,197 times
thanks for the suggestions. Plantation sounds doable.
I just want to stay away from really suburban areas (sunrise, weston, right?) as well as bad areas (between the two highways from what the forum says, right?)
What about the area just north of Fort Lauderdale but still on the ocean?
Also, I know that utilities with be extra...they are coming out to about $700 a month extra up here. Thanks again for the suggestions. Keep them coming!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
I live in Plantation. I love it, but it's definitely not cool It's very suburban. Think big box stores, malls, Target, etc.

The area north of Ft Lauderdale that might work for you is Lauderdale by the Sea. I'm still thinking you should check out downtown Hollywood/Hollywood beach though.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:31 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea would be perfect for the original poster, but will be pricier. It might be tough to find something decent for 1000/mo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area