Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 21,363 times

Advertisements

Hi I am considering moving into the Village at Sailboat Bend. I know it's not a great area there behind the police station but I would like to know if anyone knows of any confirmed crime events and if so please tell me about them? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyrgirl View Post
Hi I am considering moving into the Village at Sailboat Bend. I know it's not a great area there behind the police station but I would like to know if anyone knows of any confirmed crime events and if so please tell me about them? Thanks a lot!
NO one is going to bother you over there. Police patrol that area along with the other surrounding downtown neighborhoods on the regular. It is safe/quiet etc.

Ask yourself, would you do a crime in a area that has its very own police station? Downtown is fairly safe to be honest. The ONLY area I know of that sees some action is the area that is across broward blvd from sailboat bend. That is a low income area and there are some drugs etc going on over there. But you honestly do not see much spill over from that in the surrounding areas.

The only time I have felt a little funny (if you can call it that) is from some of the homeless. Some of them have mental issues but I have not seen much threatening behavior from them.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Thank you so much for your input! It is greatly appreciated! I have been living in Lauderdale for a very long time but not in Sailboat Bend. I was in Victoria Park and other areas. Glad to hear they patrol regularly in between donut runs!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
My last tenant gave as a reason for moving to my area that he was mugged while jogging in sailboat bend. I do not know if that was true or just a story, however.

I've biked through there many times and never felt uncomfortable. I decided against buying in there years ago as I was not convinced gentrification would take hold during my tenure, but I do like it there.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 PM

Thank you so much for your insight. I will jog with my gun!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
My last tenant gave as a reason for moving to my area that he was mugged while jogging in sailboat bend. I do not know if that was true or just a story, however.

I've biked through there many times and never felt uncomfortable. I decided against buying in there years ago as I was not convinced gentrification would take hold during my tenure, but I do like it there.
He COULD have been mugged. I don't doubt it at all. But I have to tell you, ANYONE thinking that the west side is safer than the east side is silly. I lived out west in what was supposed to be a great area. Well here are a few things that happened while there:

1. Guy kills a cop, drives to the main road I lived off of and started running. Cops were EVERYWHERE that night.

2. I would say without exaggeration the cops would look for whoever they were looking for at least 2 times a month. This includes helicopter fly overs.

3. ALL the wheels on my car were stolen and my car was left on bricks. When I first moved to the area I noticed that every once in awhile I would see a BMW, or RX-7 sitting on bricks. I thought for some dumb reason that it was just people working on their cars. Nope, some so and so was stealing peoples wheels out there.

3. Guy held his wife hostage in his house and they had to bring out swat and a bunch of others. First time I ever saw a cop wear one of those grass suit things. I remember the guy with the grass thing on was in position before i got home. So non of us were allowed on our block while they dealt with this issue. After it was all over the guy with the grass suit on stands up. It startled me a little because i wasnt expecting the ground to get up and walk away with a rifle in its hand.

4. Break ins were not common but they were happening every so often.

I wont name the area I was in but I will say it was pretty darn far out west and was supposedly a nice, quiet safe area. Oh I forgot to mention some guy forced himself into some woman's place and raped her while I was living out west.

I have not seen or heard any such things while living downtown. I can honestly say I like it out here.

P.S.

lawyer girl

To really put your mind at ease why not call the police station and inquire about the area?

Also for sailboat bend there is a government housing projects but the city is trying to tear it down and have a developer build high end apartments there. So not sure how much longer those with lower incomes have before they are pushed out of much of downtown.

Also although it wasn't given a top of the line ranking in the US Today report on grade schools in america. Fort Lauderdale High which services many of the kids in the downtown area was given a Bronze rating. It was one of something like four schools or so schools in broward to even rank. So not bad in my opinion. ANd supposedly Stranahan (spelling) high-school isn't a bad school either. I can neither confirm nor deny that last bit, just something I read in the paper.

Also, I know a lady who lives on the east half of sailboat bend and her and her friends are always walking downtown and stuff even at night and they havent been mugged, but im not saying it couldnt happen. Someone i know was robbed at the Target in Davie on University so anything is possible.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:20 PM

I went to the police station. The guy I needed to see was out of his office. Head of crime analysis so I left him a detailed voice mail and he never got back to me..so much for service! Hey I already made the move and feel good here, no issues. I have always lived downtown and I know it can be shady but I was always east of US 1 before so this is the first time I am West of US 1. Not too worried about my car it's the least attractive one here! LOL! Pays not to have a new car sometimes! Thanks for all your comments. I too lived out West in the mid 90's and felt way LESS safe out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area