Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 05:07 PM

8 posts, read 11,030 times

Advertisements

I am an RN, single, no children, Anglo, 40's and looking to live/work in the S. Fla area. Can anyone offer advice regarding housing options. Ideally I am seeking safety/proximity to the ocean/kind of a L.I. feel/upscale but not a mega millions budget/ and a reasonable commute to work (Miami). Thanks in advance to all for responding...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 PM

45 posts, read 225,637 times
[quote=Sleekchic;12744392]I am an RN, single, no children, Anglo, 40's and looking to live/work in the S. Fla area. Can anyone offer advice regarding housing options. Ideally I am seeking safety/proximity to the ocean/kind of a L.I. feel/upscale but not a mega millions budget/ and a reasonable commute to work (Miami). Thanks in advance to all for responding..

Have you visited the area to at least get an idea of what you're looking for? I'm not sure you can get a L.I. feel any area area near the beaches. Those are fairly congested areas in Broward & Dade County. Are you looking to rent or buy?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Sleek-

I would recommend living further south in Hollywood or Aventura because the commute to Miami is very rough. I know you come from NY, but the traffic is very bad on I-95 heading into Miami during morning rush hours. So I would avoid living in Northern Broward County because it would take you over an hour to get to work each day.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM

392 posts, read 1,260,834 times
I'm guessing that you're going to be working in a hospital. If so, you're probably doing a 7a to 7p OR 7p to 7a shift. If that is correct, most if not all of rush hour would be taken out of the equation for your commute.

However... where in Miami would you be working..... A commute to Jackson or Mount Sinai from the places I'll mention below are alot easier than if you're commuting to Baptist or Kendall Regional.

Hollywood and Hallandale East of U.S. 1 and Aventura are good places to start looking at.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:17 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Check out condos in the 50's & 60's along Collins Ave in Miami Beach. Same rental amounts as the other areas but closer to work, better restaurants and a more interesting nightlife. Im originally from NYC and found myself feeling very much at home in this area.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:30 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
L.I. feel, would that be something like, say, West Babylon?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
If the OP is working at Kendall or Baptist, that is more than a one-hour commute at night with zero traffic. Add in traffic and its a nightmare.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:11 PM

8 posts, read 11,030 times
Thanks to evetone that replied.

I'm thinking about Sunny Isles Beach, Collins Ave. Would that be considered safe for a single, White female who likes to walk for exercise along the beach? I've heard such alarming stories about crime in Miami. Is it really that bad? Coming from L.I.(Great Neck) I get the impression that this would be a risky move. Is Sunny Isles considered "upscale"?

Thanks guys!

Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleekchic View Post
Thanks to evetone that replied.

I'm thinking about Sunny Isles Beach, Collins Ave. Would that be considered safe for a single, White female who likes to walk for exercise along the beach? I've heard such alarming stories about crime in Miami. Is it really that bad? Coming from L.I.(Great Neck) I get the impression that this would be a risky move. Is Sunny Isles considered "upscale"?

Thanks guys!
Most of the Miami area is middle class. Don't believe the hype about how horrible it is down there. Sunny Isles Beach is a mix of older apartments and condos housing retirees and working/middle class people and newer, waterfront buildings full of middle to upper income people. That area (Aventura/Sunny Isles) is very safe, by the way, and the fact that you're a white woman is no issue. Most "Hispanics" in the Miami area are white as well and the Aventura/Sunny Isles area is probably only 30% "Hispanic" if that matters to you. Coming from Great Neck, you're used to living in a heavily Jewish area, and you will get that, too, in Aventura/Sunny Isles as well as Collins Avenue in mid-beach Miami Beach! However, instead of having a mix of American and Persian Jews as in Great Neck, you will have US-American, Latin American, and Eastern European Jews in Aventura/Sunny Isles/Miami Beach. You'll hear a lot of English and Spanish as well as some Russian, Hebrew, and even French and Italian - pretty much everyone speaks English, though, so no worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area