Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:24 PM

29 posts, read 59,874 times

Advertisements

I want to move to SoFla, and I'm thinking about picking FLL (seems to be less... trouble than Miami) but do you all have big palmetto bugs, or racoon probs in the condos or apartments in FLL? Also, living in a condo, would I really have to worry about hurricanes if I have just a regular balcony and maybe 2-4 windows if I get a place facing the ocean?

Because I'm pretty much planning on just keeping my place clean, and putting down bug traps (enviro-friendly of course) if I have to. I just need to know what I'll be up against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 04:33 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,569,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying4anulife View Post
I want to move to SoFla, and I'm thinking about picking FLL (seems to be less... trouble than Miami) but do you all have big palmetto bugs, or racoon probs in the condos or apartments in FLL? Also, living in a condo, would I really have to worry about hurricanes if I have just a regular balcony and maybe 2-4 windows if I get a place facing the ocean?

Because I'm pretty much planning on just keeping my place clean, and putting down bug traps (enviro-friendly of course) if I have to. I just need to know what I'll be up against.
Many people had their windows blown out during the back to back hurricanes a few years ago. Many condo owners faced special assessments because of the damage.

Regarding palmettos and other crawlies, get used to them...they'll always be there to extend a warm Florida greeting to you.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:44 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,822,860 times
Dunno about condo.

Lived in an apartment once back in 2000 while my house was being built.

Don't remember having problems with any bugs, except maybe ants.

Never saw any palmetto bugs.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:55 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,568,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying4anulife View Post

I live in Central Florida, Orlando to be exact. I have encountered quite a few palmetto bugs. They are pretty big but they are also harmless.

Palmetto bugs like warm temps around 80-85 degrees F. They often come into peoples homes this time of year to escape cold temps and like nice moist areas, they can survive in dry areas as well if they have access to water

They often get into homes through open doors, garages, through sewer connections, air ducts, etc

I rarely encounter any but I have seen some. Harmless bugs that dont really seem to serve a real purpose. IMO

I think you will be fine.

This wikipedia link will give you more info
American cockroach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-07-2010, 08:44 PM

Thanks everyone. See, I was going to move to Miami, but the people on those boards were pretty much always up in arms saying "no don't do it!" and generally putting the city down. But things seem to be a bit diff. here on the FLL board. Which says a lot.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:44 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,706,856 times
The bugs are no biggie and Im terrified of palmetto bugs. With the proper baits, etc., they're easily kept at bay, unless there's a plumbing issue and there wouldnt be in a condo. I never saw any while living in a high rise but did see them when I was in a garden apt.

Makes sure you have a job before coming down here. That may explain some of the negativity on the Miami board - jobs are a real issue in South Florida.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 AM

Absolutely Fauve, and I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying what I said. I can understand frustration over one's location (I'm not exactly the biggest fan of where I live now). And I'm definitely seeking employment before I move and/or starting my own business.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:34 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,117 times
Praying>

You shouldn't base your decision of where to live on a message board. Have you ever been to Fort Lauderdale or Miami? If not, I would highly recommend taking a trip here, renting a car, and driving around to see which area you like.

As for Miami, it depends which part you live in. If you live in a nice condo in Brickell or in South Beach, it can be great. Much of Miami is not so nice. You have to be very selective of which neighborhood you chose in Miami. There are large ghetto areas with lots of bad crime you should avoid. Many ppl. who've never been to Miami complain about it on the message boards. There is much disdain towards Miami due to the crime/drug reputation, and due to the large Hispanic immigrant population. People on these boards tend to pile on about it, so I would not put much stock into their sentiments. If you live in a nice area, you should be pretty safe. But Miami is a very big city with lots of traffic, congestion, crime, expensive housing, etc. It is very fast-paced. It takes a certain type of person to be able to tolerate Miami. You have to ask yourself if you can handle that. Also, if you don't like going out to clubs, bars, lounges, the beach, and living a somewhat glamorous lifestyle, Miami is probably not for you.

Fort Lauderdale is like a mini, scaled back version of Miami. You can do a lot of the same activities in Fort Lauderdale, but it is less congested, less traffic, less crime, and more diverse than Miami. Most people can fit in living in Fort Lauderdale as opposed to Miami.

To address your second issue, bugs: Yes we have lots of bugs in South FL, but I have never had an issue in apartments with bugs getting inside. If you rent at a newer place, or somewhere well-kept you should not have issues inside of your unit. If you do, it is probably because the cracks between the doors/windows and the frames are not well sealed and need caulking. Typically during the summer months when its hot and humid out 24/7 mesquitos are everywhere. They are worse in the less-developed areas further west where there are more woods and dense foliage. In the highly developed areas further east, there is very little natural foliage, so the bug problem is not as severe. Mesquitos are very bad near freshwater bodies such as lakes, canals, ditches, ponds, etc. They breed in those areas. Bugs are also attracted to lights at night, and to hairspray/gell.

Palmetto Bugs are not a big issue. I think you have them confused with something else. Palmetto bugs are larger, green insects that live in Palmetto bushes. They typically don't stray far from those bushes to my knowledge. And in the more developed areas there are very few Palmetto bushes. Moths are prevalent here during the summer months. In fact, during a typical summer evening it is common to see moths, mesquitos, and frogs outside of your front door. Of course, like I said in more developed areas they are less prevalent.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 6,179 times
I currently live in N.C. -- and have lived in S.Fl as well for many years. Talk about bugs, --The trees here in N.C. have large beetles, spiders, and lord knows what else I have seen -- Palmetto bugs can be eliminated by spraying regularly -- and altho they are ugly -- don't bite. Spiders and beetles and wasps do bite and when I came here had to go to a dermo for help -- to see if I had deer ticks or chiggers. -- bites all over my legs, had to stay all covered up all summer -- cannot walk without being covered. So much for bugs!!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,179 times
Cool regarding bugs in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine p View Post
I currently live in N.C. -- and have lived in S.Fl as well for many years. Talk about bugs, --The trees here in N.C. have large beetles, spiders, and lord knows what else I have seen -- Palmetto bugs can be eliminated by spraying regularly -- and altho they are ugly -- don't bite. Spiders and beetles and wasps do bite and when I came here had to go to a dermo for help -- to see if I had deer ticks or chiggers. -- bites all over my legs, had to stay all covered up all summer -- cannot walk without being covered. So much for bugs!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area