Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 04:20 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
are these squatters any worse than strategic defaulters who sit in the home until they're evicted?
IMO there is a huge difference between simply waiting for someone to throw you out of a house and stealing that house from someone. People who file false quit claims are stealing homes from the owners by filing fraudulent paperwork in court. Maybe in your book they are no worse, but in my book there is a rather large difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 04:45 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
IMO there is a huge difference between simply waiting for someone to throw you out of a house and stealing that house from someone. People who file false quit claims are stealing homes from the owners by filing fraudulent paperwork in court. Maybe in your book they are no worse, but in my book there is a rather large difference.

i agree with you on the paperwork thing but i believe that the squatting problem was a monster created by the banks and the govt. i've said it a few times, the banks did not make these homes available at a price the market could afford. this has led to a gargantuan overhang in vacant inventory which is destroying some communities. to add to all these empty homes rotting away, you have desperate homeless people. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that soon they're going to start gaming the system. i would hope that this type of action would force banks hands a bit to be a little more proactive in offloading some places. a 3 month wait for an answer on a shortsale ain't exactly proactive!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i agree with you on the paperwork thing but i believe that the squatting problem was a monster created by the banks and the govt. i've said it a few times, the banks did not make these homes available at a price the market could afford. this has led to a gargantuan overhang in vacant inventory which is destroying some communities. to add to all these empty homes rotting away, you have desperate homeless people. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that soon they're going to start gaming the system. i would hope that this type of action would force banks hands a bit to be a little more proactive in offloading some places. a 3 month wait for an answer on a shortsale ain't exactly proactive!
I was in Plantation, FL today (my kids go to school there) and there are not hoards of angry homeless people and entire uninhabited neighborhoods there. That may be the case in SOME places but not in Plantation, which is quite lovely and pretty upscale.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
I'm sorry to the OP for your predicament.

Is this situation the same as "house theft", which I've read about?

Does anyone here know if there's a way to protect yourself before it happens to you?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 AM

65 posts, read 244,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I'm sorry to the OP for your predicament.

Is this situation the same as "house theft", which I've read about?

Does anyone here know if there's a way to protect yourself before it happens to you?

Nothing can be done to prevent it.

Once you have a quit claim deed on your property (that was not filed by you), you can file a Quiet Title. This is a lawsuit filed to establish ownership of the property. In our case, the bank would seek a court order that prevents these people from making any subsequent claim to the property.

BTW, our story was picked up by WSVN - Channel 7 and will soon be on the air .

Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phodg2 View Post

Once you have a quit claim deed on your property (that was not filed by you), you can file a Quiet Title. This is a lawsuit filed to establish ownership of the property. In our case, the bank would seek a court order that prevents these people from making any subsequent claim to the property.

Do you know when it will air?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:

It seems like the best thing to do is to check the public records on a regular basis to see if someone files a quitclaim or lien on your property. I did some research and found out my county doesn't even check ID to file a quitclaim--they just need a notarized, signed document. Pretty scary!

Your situation sounds a little bit different because technically you didn't own the house yet when this happened.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I was in Plantation, FL today (my kids go to school there) and there are not hoards of angry homeless people and entire uninhabited neighborhoods there. That may be the case in SOME places but not in Plantation, which is quite lovely and pretty upscale.
MommaBear, this isn't a case of homeless squatters--it's identity thieves.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 PM

65 posts, read 244,792 times
Quote:
Do you know when it will air?

They said as early as next week but no later than a month.

They are going to interview everyone involved including the creep who claims the house is his

There is a little glimpse of hope for us, the City of Plantation just took the water off in the house. The renters tried to have the water turned on in their name and the city contacted the listing realtor (the water bill is in his name) to have him authorize the change and he told them everything.

One of the neighbors sent me a text verifying that the city came by and the water was turned off and the water meter was taken.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:55 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
They said as early as next week but no later than a month.

They are going to interview everyone involved including the creep who claims the house is his

There is a little glimpse of hope for us, the City of Plantation just took the water off in the house. The renters tried to have the water turned on in their name and the city contacted the listing realtor (the water bill is in his name) to have him authorize the change and he told them everything.

One of the neighbors sent me a text verifying that the city came by and the water was turned off and the water meter was taken.
Unbelievable. I don't think this creep will have the nerve to show his face on TV. Hope he ends up in jail for fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area