U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2010, 02:59 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,491,413 times

Advertisements

Just popping in as I have been watching your story. I worry for you with the water being cut off. The renters across the street from us had their water cut off. Once they were evicted a few days later, the actual owner of the house said it was NASTY - worse than nasty. Just imagine what would happen with no toilets.....

Remember that the people living in the house have no sense of 'home' or care about this house. They are living there for free right? They 'know' that they do not own, rent and never will own or rent that home.

I know very little about the laws in this situation, but I do not think I would even want to live in that house after someone lived there in this situation. This is really horrible that this is happening to you - and apparently others in Florida.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 03:29 PM

10,109 posts, read 11,374,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
MommaBear, this isn't a case of homeless squatters--it's identity thieves.
It's actually not identity theives either.

My comments were a response to another poster who had mentioned desperate homeless people.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:39 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,299,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phodg2 View Post
They are claiming ownership to the house through Adverse Possession which means that the house has been ABANDONED and that they have notified the owner that they are going to take this over.
I don't understand this part. Adverse possession means that someone has been flagrantly squatting in a place for like years, where the owner and others knows about it and does nothing to stop the situation. You can't claim adverse possession in short time period like this, especially when it sounds like no one was aware the squatters were there. (at least that's how the law is supposed to work )

By the way, I think AnnieNY is right. If you can get out of this before closing do so. Who needs to get involved in this can of worms if you don't have to. Let the bank deal with these squatters.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:07 PM

This thread doesn't seem to be getting many responses anymore, but I would still like to learn more about this (and how to prevent it?), if anyone is knowledgeable about it.

The county clerks are obviously mindless automatons who don't bother to take any safeguards to prevent this from happening. The only thing they do is require that the quitclaim doc be notarized and signed.

The notary is the only point in the process where the fraud could be stopped. Does that mean that the notary has to be in on the scam for it to happen? Or does the scammer have to get the homeowner's personal information (SS #, etc.) before they can get the notary to stamp it?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 PM

3,283 posts, read 3,091,782 times
Quote:
This thread doesn't seem to be getting many responses anymore, but I would still like to learn more about this (and how to prevent it?), if anyone is knowledgeable about it.

The county clerks are obviously mindless automatons who don't bother to take any safeguards to prevent this from happening. The only thing they do is require that the quitclaim doc be notarized and signed.

The notary is the only point in the process where the fraud could be stopped. Does that mean that the notary has to be in on the scam for it to happen? Or does the scammer have to get the homeowner's personal information (SS #, etc.) before they can get the notary to stamp it?
Man accused of turning foreclosed homes claimed by 'adverse possession' into Pasco rentals - St. Petersburg Times

the writer of this article does cover some of the legal issues surrounding 'adverse possession'

Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
Man accused of turning foreclosed homes claimed by 'adverse possession' into Pasco rentals - St. Petersburg Times

the writer of this article does cover some of the legal issues surrounding 'adverse possession'
Thanks for the link robbo. What a douche this guy is!

Personally, I think the whole concept of adverse possession is retarded even when it's done by the book. Only a municipality should be allowed to legally take possession of an abandoned building.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Some gloomy predictions:

As house theft grows, legislators overreact and pass draconian laws against legitimate investing techniques like "Subject To", but don't actually fix the house stealing problem. Meanwhile, a cheesy new industry (ala identity theft protection plan from Chase bank) springs to (ostensibly) prevent house theft, and only incidentally overcharging it's customers for services they may not need, and don't help that much. Isn't America great?

Last edited by stars99; 03-05-2010 at 10:27 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 05:12 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,667,625 times
Quote:
Some gloomy predictions:

As house theft grows, legislators overreact and pass draconian laws against legitimate investing techniques like "Subject To", but don't actually fix the house stealing problem. Meanwhile, a cheesy new industry (ala identity theft protection plan from Chase bank) springs to (ostensibly) prevent house theft, and only incidentally overcharging it's customers for services they may not need, and don't help that much. Isn't America great?
You mean the rabbit hole gets deeper?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:10 AM

904 posts, read 2,373,648 times
To OP,

After all this, do you still think this house is your DREAM HOUSE?

We were to buy our dream house but the seller reneged 2 years ago. We found another house and we are very happy now. I'm not saying you should give up now. But I advise you to think about exit strategy.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
You mean the rabbit hole gets deeper?
Actually, there's one already. It's free, but you agree to share your information with their telemarketers, even if your on the do not call list:

ePropertyWatch - Good for Your Clients
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area