Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:14 AM

7 posts, read 43,332 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
We currently live in ATL and have a son with autism. We are moving to south FL in May/June and can either move to Broward County or Palm Beach County, and I'm looking for an autism school for him. He will turn 3 right before school starts so he has lots of time left before he starts kindergarten and I want to be sure to put him where he will be pushed to reach his highest potential. He is non-verbal and him learning to talk is my main therapy goal.
I have visited the Baudhuin School at NOVA (which is in Broward) and the Palm Beach School for Autism (which is in Palm Beach). I haven't seen the Renaissance Learning Center yet, but am going down in the next couple of weeks to do so. So far I like each of them for different reasons, Baudhuin is a big beautiful modern building with an impressive website and reputation but I didn't exactly get the "warm fuzzies" there. Lots and lots of people and kids and didn't feel so personal. (He goes to the Walden School at Emory Univ. right now which is AMAZING, but it's small and everyone knows everyone which I love). The Palm Beach School's facility was definitely not anything impressive, but I loved the director, principal, the personal attention (2 hours) they gave me at my tour. Haven't seen the Renaissance Learning Center yet, but the fact that their waiting list is huge and that a pro-golfer's son is currently attending there makes me want to check into it. If it's something we like we would probably have to start him out at PBSFA, then move him there when a spot opens up.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these schools? We need to decide quickly at least which county to live in, and the fact that I'm posting this at 4am shows how much I'm stressing over it. If anyone has heard or has any experience, BOTH GOOD OR BAD, I would LOVE to hear about it. Sorry for the lengthy post and appreciate any help can give this mommy that just wants to be sure to open every door she can for her sweet boy!

Thanks,
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,739 times
Hi Amy! I used to teach at McFatter High School which is a magnet high school with a great ESE program. I don't know much about the schools for the younger kids, but I do know that McFatter was a desirable destination for children with asperger's, etc. I was the Support Facilitator there and had at most, 15 kids to work with at a time. (Most support facilitators in Broward have 50-60-70 kids at a time to work with..)

Obviously McFatter isnt your answer right now, but Broward has a pretty decent ESE program with a lot of great people helping to run the show. Nova is a great place to start though, and that's also where the Autism Walk is each year. (at least it used to be!)

Please send me a message if you'd like some more info.. I can put you in contact with a few people who I used to work with who are veterans in the field and very knowledgeable about various programs and schools. Good luck!! It's great down there.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:33 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,739 times
FWIW, McFatter made the front page of the Sun Sentinel yesterday.

Vocational education now prepares high school students for a skilled trade as well as for college. - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 03-24-2010, 04:59 PM

157 posts, read 600,952 times
are you looking for aprivate school?
My son has apsergers and goes to public school, and I can tell you they are not really prepared to deal with it so I have to do a lot of work on my own.
But I do have a friend with an autistic child that doesn't have the same financial restricitons that I do and his child goes to a private school and they are very happy with it.
If you'd like I can ask him the name for you.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 11,004 times
Hi!

I have a high functioning ASD kid in the elemenatry public school sytem. Though they mean well ,with all the Budget cuts in the school system, they are not able to help him very much. I am considering private school which accept Mckay scholarship. Any inputs would be appreciated. I live in Miramar and am looking for good private schools within a 20 mile radius.

Thanks

Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 19,691 times
i would also like help with my child. he is 5yrs old autistic and in need of a good private school.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 19,691 times
the public school he is in, is not working to my satisfaction, and i need to know how to get my child the proper assistence he needs. i would like to try a private school.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 7,637 times
i stay in miramar and my 3 yr old will start ese soon at pines lakes elementary. i to will like to know what good schools are out there in mirmar or broward

Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 14,809 times
Default I need help

I too have been looking for a high school for my 14 year old aspie. I have had no luck. I'm desperate.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 14,809 times
Do you know of high schools in palm beach for Aspergers children? She 14 coming from ny to live with me and I am desperate. I'm afraid of her being bullied or worst. Help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area