Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 AM

433 posts, read 1,011,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
For instance, Im pretty sure Id fit in better in a place like Austin
To me Orlando is kind of like a non-weird Austin with techno and hip hop instead of country. Yes there is a lot of thug wanna be's there but even those guys I can relate on some level to because their somewhat easy to engage.

Down here it seems like a lot of the people most like me are a bit reserved or stuck up. Black people seem to be a bit more angry, and a lot of the spanish people just seem to have no interest in getting to know you, even if you try.

This is just first impressions. I bring it up because I don't notice these things in orlando. Yes orlando has rude people just like south florida does, but for whatever reason it just feels like their more open to whatever and meeting people.

It's like a mix of just enough of the southern vibe but not so much that I am being judged for being from the north because it's a city and people are from all over, almost like a perfect formula.

In south florida it's more complicated then that. Some places are better than others for me. The tiebreaker in all this to ME is the people because everything else is so even. The people are what is going to decide this and so far I just feel more welcome and at home in Orlando. Ive never seen anyone mention miami of fort lauderdale or boca as one of the friendliest places in florida. Ever. I dont have enough time to find out the truth on this and I can only go with gut feeling and first impressions. If Im offbase let me know because I need a nonbiased opinion.

One of the reasons I cant make up my mind is I have people in my life pulling me in both directions who have a stake in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 11:10 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Ive never seen anyone mention miami of fort lauderdale or boca as one of the friendliest places in florida. .
And you won't, do you have a problem with that?

Eagle, seriously you have been here like what 2 days? It takes months to figure out a place and really know people.

My suggestion is that you move to where things are more stable. Where you have a job, a reasonable commute, and a good roommate situation. Only YOU know what feels more comfortable. Six months from now if you don't like it, you can go back home or try the other city.

Please don't make the decision based on strangers and vague first impressions. You are an adult not a teenager looking to be the most popular kid in school. This place is full of hundreds of thousands of white non hispanics so you are not gonna get linched. Good luck

Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
[quote=^Eagle^;13836020]To me Orlando is kind of like a non-weird Austin with techno and hip hop instead of country. Yes there is a lot of thug wanna be's there but even those guys I can relate on some level to because their somewhat easy to engage. Techno? People still listen to that garbage? Lol. Seriously, I do agree with you about the thugs. There is definitely a very present thug wanna be mentality in Orlando. Seems very popular among the hispanic crowd.

Down here it seems like a lot of the people most like me are a bit reserved or stuck up. Black people seem to be a bit more angry, and a lot of the spanish people just seem to have no interest in getting to know you, even if you try.

This is just first impressions. I bring it up because I don't notice these things in orlando. Yes orlando has rude people just like south florida does, but for whatever reason it just feels like their more open to whatever and meeting people.

It's like a mix of just enough of the southern vibe but not so much that I am being judged for being from the north because it's a city and people are from all over, almost like a perfect formula. No, you certainly wont have a problem there, most people in Orlando are from elsewhere in the US (mainly NY and NJ) or a foreign country.

In south florida it's more complicated then that. Some places are better than others for me. The tiebreaker in all this to ME is the people because everything else is so even. The people are what is going to decide this and so far I just feel more welcome and at home in Orlando. Ive never seen anyone mention miami of fort lauderdale or boca as one of the friendliest places in florida. Ever. I dont have enough time to find out the truth on this and I can only go with gut feeling and first impressions. If Im offbase let me know because I need a nonbiased opinion. Orlando is certainly not known for being friendly either. It's like picking the lesser of the two evils. S FL and Orlando are certainly not known for being friendly places.

One of the reasons I cant make up my mind is I have people in my life pulling me in both directions who have a stake in this. Do what's best for you.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
[quote=ComSense;13837094]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
To me Orlando is kind of like a non-weird Austin with techno and hip hop instead of country. Yes there is a lot of thug wanna be's there but even those guys I can relate on some level to because their somewhat easy to engage. Techno? People still listen to that garbage? Lol. Seriously, I do agree with you about the thugs. There is definitely a very present thug wanna be mentality in Orlando. Seems very popular among the hispanic crowd.

It is the culture of today's youth white/black/hispanic/asian - they all where the thug type clothing - Com - the comments about hispanics are getting tired - Have you been robbed by or assaulted by a hispanic youth that you have this underlying anger towards hispanics. Something has to explain your feelings as sometimes they have no basis!

It's like a mix of just enough of the southern vibe but not so much that I am being judged for being from the north because it's a city and people are from all over, almost like a perfect formula. No, you certainly wont have a problem there, most people in Orlando are from elsewhere in the US (mainly NY and NJ) or a foreign country.

In south florida it's more complicated then that. Some places are better than others for me. The tiebreaker in all this to ME is the people because everything else is so even. The people are what is going to decide this and so far I just feel more welcome and at home in Orlando. Ive never seen anyone mention miami of fort lauderdale or boca as one of the friendliest places in florida. Ever. I dont have enough time to find out the truth on this and I can only go with gut feeling and first impressions. If Im offbase let me know because I need a nonbiased opinion. Orlando is certainly not known for being friendly either. It's like picking the lesser of the two evils. S FL and Orlando are certainly not known for being friendly places.

One of the reasons I cant make up my mind is I have people in my life pulling me in both directions who have a stake in this. Do what's best for you.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:28 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
Chelsa's right, Com. At my kid's private school, everyone is "ghetto." My daughter will even describe some of her dresses as being "ghettolicious"....it's just the style...

Old 04-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Chelsa's right, Com. At my kid's private school, everyone is "ghetto." My daughter will even describe some of her dresses as being "ghettolicious"....it's just the style...

That's not something you hear everyday. LOL.

To answer the question, and I've said it before, everytime there is a problem in my area with break-ins or assaults or stealing cars, it's always hispanics. There, just to put it bluntly, but it's what I see.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry Fauve - I try to be as middle grounded as possible, but I'm done with the comments about hispanics - they don't speak englis (when the truth is half don't speak spanish at all), they drive bad, they are everything that is wrong with Florida. It is all so negative. I mean what if I started in on the stereotypes of White/caucasion/anglos? What ever is politically correct these days.

I'm sorry it is just a little annoying - even to someone like me - who sees things for what they are.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
That's not something you hear everyday. LOL.

To answer the question, and I've said it before, everytime there is a problem in my area with break-ins or assaults or stealing cars, it's always hispanics. There, just to put it bluntly, but it's what I see.
Sounds like you live in the Ghetto - if that is where these types of people are moving....then baby, you live in the Ghetto - I live around all sorts of spanish people and do not have that problem - I'm sure it would be an issue if I lived in the south bronx - I think it is time to pick a better locale.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Sounds like you live in the Ghetto - if that is where these types of people are moving....then baby, you live in the Ghetto - I live around all sorts of spanish people and do not have that problem - I'm sure it would be an issue if I lived in the south bronx - I think it is time to pick a better locale.

Exactly, like I said, it's what I see where I live. The ghetto culture and behavior is very common where I live. And with me living in an area that has a large hispanic population (many of them are from the place you mentioned above), I see it everyday.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Exactly, like I said, it's what I see where I live. The ghetto culture and behavior is very common where I live. And with me living in an area that has a large hispanic population (many of them are from the place you mentioned above), I see it everyday.
Well, then, I can't blame you for your impression, but I would have taken flight long ago and I'm Puerto Rican! But just so we are clear it isn't a hispanic thing it is the culture of all "CHILDREN" today! We had big hair and shoulder pads - that was bad enough - our music can be deemed just as bad - even though we think it is great - I think Trick Daddy is an idiot - but my boys think the same of Will Smith or Journey - it is all relative. You live in what seems like an all lower class area where mainly hispanics dwell - I choose to think the lower class part is the problem not the fact that they are hispanic - would you prefer living in a trailor park with all caucasions who didn't work or have teeth?

I hated doing that, but you need to see the error in your thinking and understand that when you state things the way you do it is really, really offensive, especially to someone like me, who busts their ass to send my kids to private schools so have a better chance to do well and that people like you don't make the wrong assumptions about them simply because they are hispanic and are wearing baggy jeans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area