Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 05:34 PM

119 posts, read 316,089 times

Advertisements

Hello- I thought I had decided what neighborhood to live in, but now I am second guessing myself. I just scored my dream job which is technically a Wilton Manors address located on Federal Highway.

I'm moving at the end of May and couldn't be more excited.

However, I just read on another thread on here that one person carries a gun while they walk their dog. That makes me sad - I'm not going to get a gun.

I want to have a very short commute to work - so I'm not interested in the west communities.

But I really don't want go get robbed or hurt while walking my dog. Safety is so important to me.

I'm deciding between Las Olas, Wilton Manors, Oakland Park, & Victoria Park

I'd love a grocery store/farmers market and cafe in walking distance - but safety is most important to me. I'm a 26 year old female. Can you please tell me if any of the neighborhoods I am considering are not safe - or is any one of them safer than the rest?

Thanks for all of your help - can't wait to be a Floridian!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 11:54 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,448,086 times
Chanel>

Calm down a moment. You don't need a gun. And you don't need to live right next to where you work. You have several safe options that are east, not far from your job. First, Las Olas is the nicest area, but that is expensive. I do not know your income situation, but you might want to check out some of those luxury buildings downtown. If those are not in your budget, you might want to look further north on the US1/Federal Hwy. corridor. The area between downtown and Sunrise Blvd. is very sketch. But if you look further north US1 is generally pretty safe. One community you might want to check out is Port Royale Apartments located on US1 north of Commercial Blvd. It is a gated apartment community that is highly regarded on message boards. There is a lot of shopping in that area and restaurants along US1. And it will be about a 15 minute commute to work.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:26 PM

119 posts, read 316,089 times
Thank you - I wonder why the other poster said he/she has to carry a gun while they walk their dog. I've been here a few times and never felt unsafe - but that startled me! I actually have port royal apartments on my list of places to check out - they seem very affordable. Thank you

Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,323,397 times
I didn't think Wilton goes as far as Federal. I think Wilton ends at the river immediately west of Federal. Most people who carry guns are simply putting their own children at risk. Ignore that nonsense.

Your problem with Port Royal is that there is not a lot of neighborhood there for walking your dog without going out to Federal Highway, which is not a very nice walk. If you want gated in that area, you might look at Bay Club, and then you can walk down Bayview Drive and through those side streets without dealing with Federal.

I'd also suggest you look on the E side of Federal, one block over, on Middle River Drive. South of 26th Street along the River are lots of apartment buildings. Not gated but as in Wilton, not a problem. Is very good area to walk your dog through the side streets and it is an easy bike ride from there to the beach. There's a nice park at the lower end of the drive, on north side of Sunrise at Bayview.

Here is Bay Club http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...13711&t=h&z=16

Here's an apt there http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6239-Bay-Club-Dr-Unit-3_Fort-Lauderdale_FL_33308_1115012264?mp=1

Here is the Middle River Dr area http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...13711&t=h&z=16

And here's an apartment there http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Fort-Lauderdale_FL_33305_1115302022?mp=1

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 03-28-2010 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 09:38 PM

622 posts, read 1,661,859 times
Wilton Manors is really nice, but so is Poinsettia Heights. It's closer to US1, between Oakland Park Blvd and Sunrise. After I lived on the beach, I had a house in Poinsettia Heights, just my dog and me! Never had any issues there, and always felt very safe. I had great neighbors and everyone kinda kept an eye out for one another. Las Olas and Victoria Park are also really nice places. It all depends on what you plan on spending for housing. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2010, 03:41 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,033,106 times
Wilton Manors has a violent crime rate that is way above average per FBI stastics. They are also ground zero for gay bashing crimes.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:40 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,323,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Wilton Manors has a violent crime rate that is way above average per FBI stastics. They are also ground zero for gay bashing crimes.
According to City-data stats, 10 year average is 25% higher than national but 29% lower than Fort Lauderdale & 25% lower than Pompano Beach.

That there are about 1000% more gay people in Wilton than most elsewhere does not quite attest to any great level of fear of bashings. There was that guy who got ran over just south of Wilton, in Fort Lauderdale, a year or so ago. Otherwise, the worst case of gay bashing I've seen is some religious freak sky writing how Jesus Loves You over the gay pride parade a few years back. Not that I've anything against Jesus, I just thought they should have arrested the creep for graffiti.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,857,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
There are many gay couples living in Wilton Manors. It is something of a haven for gays. The fact that there are more gays living there than other places may account for the higher incidence of gay bashing crimes. I am surprised to hear that Wilton Manors has a high crime rate. I never feel unsafe when I am in that area.

I would not get a gun to walk my dog in that area though....It seems a little extreme.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 PM

622 posts, read 1,661,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
According to City-data stats, 10 year average is 25% higher than national but 29% lower than Fort Lauderdale & 25% lower than Pompano Beach.

That there are about 1000% more gay people in Wilton than most elsewhere does not quite attest to any great level of fear of bashings. There was that guy who got ran over just south of Wilton, in Fort Lauderdale, a year or so ago. Otherwise, the worst case of gay bashing I've seen is some religious freak sky writing how Jesus Loves You over the gay pride parade a few years back. Not that I've anything against Jesus, I just thought they should have arrested the creep for graffiti.
ahahaha the skywriter is still at it?? I used to see that all the time, and would chuckle..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
There are many gay couples living in Wilton Manors. It is something of a haven for gays. The fact that there are more gays living there than other places may account for the higher incidence of gay bashing crimes. I am surprised to hear that Wilton Manors has a high crime rate. I never feel unsafe when I am in that area.

I would not get a gun to walk my dog in that area though....It seems a little extreme.
agreed.. I always felt safe in that area.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 AM

3 posts, read 13,312 times
Default Very Dog Friendly Oakland Park

I moved recently to the Oakland Park area....Lloyd Estates section. It is a great community. Quiet, established neighborhood with many dog owners, so VERY dog friendly. I have 3.
You can also get more for your money in this area. Definitely worth checking out.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area