Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I went into my local Subway (restaurant) tonight and we were all talking about how hot it was outside already. Kid you not, the discussion came up that I was moving to the asheville NC area, and they were like "ooooh'ing" and "ahhhhh'ing". It's nice to hear that wear we're moving to, so many people want to live there too. They almost acted as if I had won the lottery or something. They were like, "niiiiiice" and "oh man, we're trying to move to NC." Etc. I like hearing that where we're moving to, so many people want to be there also. I definitely wont take living in the Asheville area for granted like I did before. Now I know how nice it is there. Sometimes you have to move elsewhere to find out how nice of a place you were living in before.
Is your local subway anywhere near the Ft. Lauderdale area? Plus don't some of the wall decorations remind you a little too much of New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 07:26 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Is your local subway anywhere near the Ft. Lauderdale area? Plus don't some of the wall decorations remind you a little too much of New York?

Actually, one of the guys that works there is from NY. I'd say, "hey man," and "please" and "thank you" etc... and he would never say anything back. He would just give you this blank stare as you are ordering. The only time he's really said anything that was nice at all back is when I told him I was moving to NC and then he said his sister lives there and loves it there. We were then talking (wow! he talks back!) and he was saying how he's not quite used to the summer heat yet, etc. I said it takes some getting used to, etc. So after going there for like the last 6 months almost 3 times a week, I got him to say something back! Usually it was just this ticked off look all the time.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:59 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
I went into my local Subway (restaurant) tonight and we were all talking about how hot it was outside already. Kid you not, the discussion came up that I was moving to the asheville NC area, and they were like "ooooh'ing" and "ahhhhh'ing". It's nice to hear that wear we're moving to, so many people want to live there too. They almost acted as if I had won the lottery or something. They were like, "niiiiiice" and "oh man, we're trying to move to NC."
You do realize that this is the Ft Lauderdale forum and you are talking about Orlando. I wouldn't live in NC but Orlando is a wasteland in my opinion and I always despised that place. Look what it has done to you personally.
Quote:
Actually, one of the guys that works there is from NY. I'd say, "hey man," and "please" and "thank you" etc... and he would never say anything back. He would just give you this blank stare as you are ordering. The only time he's really said anything that was nice at all back is when I told him I was moving to NC and then he said his sister lives there and loves it there. We were then talking (wow! he talks back!) and he was saying how he's not quite used to the summer heat yet, etc. I said it takes some getting used to, etc. So after going there for like the last 6 months almost 3 times a week, I got him to say something back! Usually it was just this ticked off look all the time.

You either have selective memory or you are rude yourself when you know people are not from the South. It's just impossible that everybody you deal with from the North is rude. I have encountered plenty of rude people with a Southern accent. You can still say hi and thank you and be demanding or have a bad attitude, so maybe you are the problem here. Or maybe Orlando is messing with your brain. Advice: Get out of that hellhole called Orlando.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
You do realize that this is the Ft Lauderdale forum and you are talking about Orlando. I wouldn't live in NC but Orlando is a wasteland in my opinion and I always despised that place. Look what it has done to you personally.

You either have selective memory or you are rude yourself when you know people are not from the South. It's just impossible that everybody you deal with from the North is rude. I have encountered plenty of rude people with a Southern accent. You can still say hi and thank you and be demanding or have a bad attitude, so maybe you are the problem here. Or maybe Orlando is messing with your brain. Advice: Get out of that hellhole called Orlando.

I dont think everyone from a certain place acts or behaves in a certain way. I think some folks, like this guy from NY, just tends to keep to themselves more. Maybe when someone says "hi" or whatever, they just assume you want something from them. But a lot of people in the south do say hi and all the want in return is a "hi" back. But sometimes it doesnt happen that way. Now that I got this guy to talk, I'll try to talk to him even more. Maybe try to cheer him up a little since he's always down in the dumps like he's mad at all the customers. I enjoy talking to people, I dont care where they're from.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:03 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,739 times
[quote=ComSense;13563516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post

I'm suggesting that those folks in NC that are from NY and are unhappy in NC, should definitely look into S FL! That's the place for them! They'll love S FL!
Not everyone who loves south florida and doesnt like NC is from the NY area.

Quote:
I went into my local Subway (restaurant) tonight and we were all talking about how hot it was outside already. Kid you not, the discussion came up that I was moving to the asheville NC area, and they were like "ooooh'ing" and "ahhhhh'ing". It's nice to hear that wear we're moving to, so many people want to live there too. They almost acted as if I had won the lottery or something. They were like, "niiiiiice" and "oh man, we're trying to move to NC." Etc. I like hearing that where we're moving to, so many people want to be there also. I definitely wont take living in the Asheville area for granted like I did before. Now I know how nice it is there. Sometimes you have to move elsewhere to find out how nice of a place you were living in before.
They were ooohing and ahhhing because they havent actually removed themselves from the Florida area yet and tried out living in NC.. I know of several people who moved to NC, only to move back because they didnt like it.. They didnt realize what it was like to live without all the conveniences south florida offers for so long.. Sure, NC is a great place to visit, but to live there is a totally different story.

Sure, the grass is always greener.. Even we didnt realize how good we had it in Florida til we moved to NC.. Now we're happy to be back in FL.. *sigh*

And yes.. to each their own. We know you love NC. VERY happy you're moving back. CONGRATS!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM

[quote=AliciaMaria;13624153][quote=ComSense;13563516]

Not everyone who loves south florida and doesnt like NC is from the NY area. Ok, 9 out of 10.

They were ooohing and ahhhing because they havent actually removed themselves from the Florida area yet and tried out living in NC.. Actually none of them that I can recall were even from FL to begin with. One guy was from NY, one was from NY via Puerto Rico, and I think the woman is from the midwest. So, none of them were even local/native. Most folks in FL arent natives. Most folks who move from FL to NC stay in NC, so I know that most folks love it up there. And for the folks who move there expecting it to be another S FL with 4 seasons and cheaper cost of living, and then disappointed because it's not, I'm glad they like S FL. I'm all for them returning. I know of several people who moved to NC, only to move back because they didnt like it.. They didnt realize what it was like to live without all the conveniences south florida offers for so long.. Sure, NC is a great place to visit, but to live there is a totally different story. I feel like FL is a better place to visit, whereas NC is an nice place to visit, but even better place to live and raise a family. Orlando is not a better place to raise a family than WNC. S FL isnt either.

Sure, the grass is always greener.. Even we didnt realize how good we had it in Florida til we moved to NC.. Now we're happy to be back in FL.. *sigh* LOL, we didnt realize how wonderful it was in Asheville until we moved to Orlando. I always wondered why when I tell people here in Orlando that we moved from Asheville, they look at me like "WTF?" or "you moved here from Asheville. Why? LOL.

And yes.. to each their own. We know you love NC. VERY happy you're moving back. CONGRATS! Thank you. We have the opposite opinions, but I'm glad you like living in FL again. And you chose Ponte Vedra and N FL over S FL. Excellent choice!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:05 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,739 times
How come you always have issues with the quote feature??

Old 04-07-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
How come you always have issues with the quote feature??

I dont. It's how I choose to respond when I want to respond to several different comments. I think it's pretty easy to read since I put it in bold, is it not?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
I dont. It's how I choose to respond when I want to respond to several different comments. I think it's pretty easy to read since I put it in bold, is it not?
No it's confusing. I suggest at least use paragraph breaks(enter Key)

Instead of bold, try maybe changing the font color, but don't do red, the mods don't like that.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
man...after reading this page I am starting to wonder if the constant bickering is from teenagers.......give it a rest people !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area