Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:28 PM

17 posts, read 48,910 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Weston haha once we find something we like...I would really like a pool and for some reason more houses in Rochester NY have pools than in Weston (At least the ones for sale that is). So I was just wondering what it would cost for a pool it seems most people have a 15x30? What about with a screen? ANd what is up with the screens? I get the whole bug thing but is it really that bad, I am from NY so I really don't know. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,249 times
At the height of the housing boom a pool 15 x 30 with a heater and jacuzzi and water feature was at least 50K. I would hope prices have gone down.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:08 PM

995 posts, read 3,929,309 times
AFAIK, by law, a screen or a fence is required for all pools for safety reasons.

Most ppl prefer a screen because of mosquitos/bugs in summer. It can be really bad for 8-9 months depending on location.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:40 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml0701 View Post
We are moving to Weston haha once we find something we like...I would really like a pool and for some reason more houses in Rochester NY have pools than in Weston (At least the ones for sale that is). So I was just wondering what it would cost for a pool it seems most people have a 15x30? What about with a screen? ANd what is up with the screens? I get the whole bug thing but is it really that bad, I am from NY so I really don't know. Thanks
No it's not really that bad, I'm not a big fan of screens, but you are required by law to have a fence like someone else said.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml0701 View Post
A pool is about $30-$50K depending on what you build. What is your price range in Weston? Lots of houses here have pools. The screen is a preference thing.

The plusses of screens:
Keeps debris out of pool, making cleaning easier
Keeps pool cooler in summer
Keeps bugs out

The minuses of screens
Some people don't like the way they look
Pool takes longer to heat up in spring/costs more to heat

You just have to decide which you like. On my block there are 4 houses in a row with pools and one is open, with lovely landscaping, the other 3 are screened. It's just a matter of what you like.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 AM

157 posts, read 600,999 times
I just had to quote a pool for a customer (no I don't sell pools...I'm a project manager) and the price was $35k with waterfall and all the bells and whistles, but no screen enclosure, that will cost you another 10k depending on the materials you chose.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:52 PM

995 posts, read 3,929,309 times
Not to hijack the thread but I would like to know the monthly maintenance bill for a pool. I once heard that it's $70/m. Is that true?

Is it something that I can DIY? I'm frugal enough to mow my own lawn, where no neighbors do it.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,891 times
It cost us $70/month, but that was at our last house in 2004.

It's very easy to do yourself. My husband is taking care of it now. You basically get all the leaves out with a net as often as you see them because that keeps the creepy crawler thing from getting clogged when they fall to the bottom, put those chlorine tabs in a floatie thing, and take the water to Pinch a Penny every so often to have them test it and make sure it's correct. We also have a creepy crawler thingy that vacuums and my husband brushes the pool sides down about once a month. Pinch a Penny is really helpful with instructions and any questions you have. We would never have started doing it ourselves if not for the support there.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
Not to hijack the thread but I would like to know the monthly maintenance bill for a pool. I once heard that it's $70/m. Is that true?

Is it something that I can DIY? I'm frugal enough to mow my own lawn, where no neighbors do it.
We do our own pool. Ours is screened and we have an automatic vacuum so there is very little maintenance. It costs very little and is very little work. We pay a lawn service but not a pool service.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
$30k+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area