Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 PM

58 posts, read 117,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I see what you're trying to say, but where you lose me is when you try to make the point that working class black neighborhoods like East Miramar are necessarily bad. Yes, YOU might not feel comfortable, but there are many people, white, brown and black who have no issues with working class blacks or a neighborhood like East Miramar. In fact, they may have issues with working class whites because that's where they feel the most discrimination coming from.

My point is, you can't generalize your feelings and brand an entire city of homeowners because there are a few rough shopping centers, etc. The same can be said for any working class white or hispanic neighborhood, yet I doubt I would hear you saying, 'that's an all white neighborhood' in a disparaging way - you'd say there are some rough patches, etc. Just try to hear yourself as someone else would and try to imagine if it would be offensive if you were that race or culture.

Well said......

Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 PM

58 posts, read 117,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Which communities in NE Florida? Robyn

Some areas in Ponte Vedra and St. Augustine.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:11 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
This is VERY true. The friendliest, most welcoming, talkative people I have encountered here are wealthy/liberal South Americans and the Jewish and/or South Americans. VERY different from up North where the upper-middle classes are uptight, closed-minded, conservatives

I love what you said about the northeast and I dont know why there is such a vast difference. My son is going to a liberal arts college in California where I figured the low key, out-going, friendly liberal type was in vast supply, but somehow fell in with this uptight, one-upping, materialistic crowd from the northeast that stab their closest friends in the back at every given opportunity.

They're awful and he's such a target because they just cant accept that he's a genuinely good guy that will always give them the benefit of any doubt. Although now, finally, he's even starting to accept that he needs new friends. He has such great friends here that are so NORMAL and yes, VERY diverse! I am VERY glad I raised my kids here and not there!!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:39 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
My point is that there doesn't really seem to be any major correlation between ethnicity and social conditions in south Broward neighborhoods.
I can summarize your entire post with just this statement. The color of crime is VERY well defined in this area. Period. There is direct correlation to certain ethnicities and crime as well as poverty, quality of live, and schooling.

I keep getting "infractions" on the forum when talking about race, so I'm unable to define just what "diverse" means without being banned. But we have different definitions of it in the context of this thread.

Can you show me a local high school with a majority race other than white with high scores? (they may exist, I'm honestly not sure).

My discussions here are not merely based on stats, though stats support what I'm saying. I've been on several ride alongs and have many, many friends in law enforcement ranging from patrol to detectives and even a police chief. I'm well aware of who commits the crimes and who the problem people are South Florida. Not like I need to know cops to figure that out, anyone with two eyes can see it, and they generally do. You are just in denial.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/06/17/w...t-into-canada/ - now, how does this article relate to immigration in South Florida?

Last edited by vr2; 06-23-2010 at 08:52 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 AM
vr2

Quote:
I love what you said about the northeast and I dont know why there is such a vast difference. My son is going to a liberal arts college in California where I figured the low key, out-going, friendly liberal type was in vast supply, but somehow fell in with this uptight, one-upping, materialistic crowd from the northeast that stab their closest friends in the back at every given opportunity.

They're awful and he's such a target because they just cant accept that he's a genuinely good guy that will always give them the benefit of any doubt. Although now, finally, he's even starting to accept that he needs new friends. He has such great friends here that are so NORMAL and yes, VERY diverse! I am VERY glad I raised my kids here and not there!!
As a young guy, I've had the exact opposite experience. Having been raised in CA and moving here in my mid teens, I'd absolutely, 100% NEVER raise a child in South Florida. I've experienced the differences. I was so much more numb and open to racial differences when I lived in CA, but the racial tension, violence, and problems associated here was like a punch in the face.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post

Can you show me a local high school with a majority race other than white with high scores? (they may exist, I'm honestly not sure).
Cypress Bay High School - Weston, Florida - FL - School overview
Charles W Flanagan High School - Pembroke Pines, Florida - FL - School overview
West Broward High School - Pembroke Pines, Florida - FL - School overview

Old 06-23-2010, 10:39 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
As a young guy, I've had the exact opposite experience. Having been raised in CA and moving here in my mid teens, I'd absolutely, 100% NEVER raise a child in South Florida. I've experienced the differences. I was so much more numb and open to racial differences when I lived in CA, but the racial tension, violence, and problems associated here was like a punch in the face.
Well, actually I was referring to the northeast and not California because that's where the kids are from. I was referring basically to kids from families in both places where money shouldn't logically have been an issue - so the only thing I can think of that would result in the difference are the values the kids were raised with and I believe even more influential, the values of the other kids they hung out with and the communities where they are from. I am not saying that element doesnt exist here, but for whatever reason, although relatively wealthy, my kids' friends from here were always very grounded. I mean when you think about it, the mall the kids hung out at here was an OUTLET mall. How snobby can you be?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:15 PM
vr2

I should rephrase, show me ONE school where black students make up the highest percentage. Cypress and Flanagan are almost all white and hispanic (flanagan is a B school, not an A school)... and West Broward doesn't show any demographics on that site.

Moderator cut: Diverse means a mixture of race & culture. It is not a euphemism for Black.

Last edited by fauve; 06-23-2010 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 PM
vr2

Quote:
Well, actually I was referring to the northeast and not California because that's where the kids are from. I was referring basically to kids from families in both places where money shouldn't logically have been an issue - so the only thing I can think of that would result in the difference are the values the kids were raised with and I believe even more influential, the values of the other kids they hung out with and the communities where they are from. I am not saying that element doesnt exist here, but for whatever reason, although relatively wealthy, my kids' friends from here were always very grounded. I mean when you think about it, the mall the kids hung out at here was an OUTLET mall. How snobby can you be?
Sawgrass is a cool mall! I used to hang out at Pembroke Lakes though, was much closer to me.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:54 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyReady View Post
Some areas in Ponte Vedra and St. Augustine.
I've lived in Ponte Vedra Beach for 15 years. And although I can't say that it is an especially "diverse" area - I've never heard of any problems. I'm really not familiar with all the different neighborhoods in St. Augustine (which range from high end waterfront to trailer parks). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area