Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:33 PM

182 posts, read 502,122 times

Advertisements

So much good input!

Being from Australia, we have heard of Miami of course, and Orlando but not Ft Lauderdale. So the temptation would be to state "miami" but if everyone there really hates Miami or it has certain connotations then it seems you wouldn't benefit from opening a 'miami' branch that isn't in Miami city itself????

Thanks for all your comments, it really is helping me understand a lot more about the area and what to do/say and what not to

What is the 3rd county that South Florida incorporates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 07:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfire View Post
So much good input!

Being from Australia, we have heard of Miami of course, and Orlando but not Ft Lauderdale. So the temptation would be to state "miami" but if everyone there really hates Miami or it has certain connotations then it seems you wouldn't benefit from opening a 'miami' branch that isn't in Miami city itself????

Thanks for all your comments, it really is helping me understand a lot more about the area and what to do/say and what not to

Not everyone hates Miami though - just that one poster who posted on this thread.

I'm sure you have people in Australia who hate Sydney for whatever reason, which would equally baffle non-Australians.

I think with ANY metro area...there are people who prefer suburban lifestyles, and say bad things about whatever city they are surrounding. Don't know why, it just the way it is. There are others who prefer rural life, and will say bad things about ANY city no matter how interesting it might be to others.

But, in general, if you are visiting other areas of the country, and you live in the metro Miami area, you'd tell people you are from Miami, and the response to that would be more intrigue than anything

Old 04-16-2010, 11:55 PM

182 posts, read 502,122 times
So Tiger, what would actually constitute the 'metro Miami area' ...this I am still trying to work out.
Thanks

Old 04-17-2010, 12:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
So Tiger, what would actually constitute the 'metro Miami area' ...this I am still trying to work out.
Thanks
To me, anything in Dade County is Metro Miami. Anything in Broward COunty would be the Fort Lauderdale Metro area.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
So much good input!

Palm Beach county.

I wouldn't worry to much about the exact names & boundaries. Many of us drive back and forth among the 3 counties, but to generalize most people say they live in Miami, Broward(or Ft Lauderdale) or Palm Beach/West Palm beach. Sometimes they might say the actual city name if they talking among locals (Miramar, Kendall, Lake Worth etc) But it's not like we really care that much.

Many people did move from Miami to Broward(and Orlando) when the hispanic population exploded in the 90's. So it is common to see people who think they moved up because of their relocation. I find that a little silly but that's just me. I have been suggested by a few friends, I should move to Broward(Like if I'm still in the ghetto ) but in reality except for the heavy Spanish speaking & traffic in Miami, I don't see both counties that different. Both have seedy places, both have beaches and both have the same architecture. I do prefer Miami's roads even with their heavy traffic, as those 3x3 lanes roads in Broward make me feel like in a suburban hell. Having said that I would live in Broward if I had to and I wouldn't feel like I made a big change. Maybe because I go to Broward very often.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:26 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
I grew up in Oakland Park and no longer live in Florida. I tell everyone I meet I am from Fort Lauderdale. I consider the three counties that make up South Florida to be Dade, Broward, and Monroe.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:18 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
I grew up in Oakland Park and no longer live in Florida. I tell everyone I meet I am from Fort Lauderdale. I consider the three counties that make up South Florida to be Dade, Broward, and Monroe.
That's interesting. I would consider them Dade, Broward and Palm Beach. I don't know for sure which it is to be honest. Both certainly make sense.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
South Florida metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The South Florida metropolitan area, more commonly South Florida, and officially the Miami–Fort Lauderdale–Pompano Beach Metropolitan Area encompasses a three-county area of the southeastern part of the U.S. state of Florida. The metropolitan area covers the counties of Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach. The three counties are the three most populous in Florida. The term South Florida is roughly synonymous with Gold Coast. The principal cities include Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach. The Florida Keys are also included in the metropolitan area at times"

Old 04-19-2010, 03:06 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
You guys are confusing the Miami Metro area with the South FL metro area. The Miami metro area would include everywhere inside of Dade County, since it is all pretty much part of Miami. But it would not include anything outside of Dade County.

The South FL metro area would include all of Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties since they are all an extension of one big non-stop urban mass of development. Basically, there is no land separating downtown Miami from Palm Beach or even Jupiter. The only thing separating them are fictional lines on a map.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:57 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
You guys are confusing the Miami Metro area with the South FL metro area. The Miami metro area would include everywhere inside of Dade County, since it is all pretty much part of Miami. But it would not include anything outside of Dade County.

The South FL metro area would include all of Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties since they are all an extension of one big non-stop urban mass of development. Basically, there is no land separating downtown Miami from Palm Beach or even Jupiter. The only thing separating them are fictional lines on a map.
I wouldn't say that definition exists outside the minds of locals. Yes, while I personally say that I live in Miami because I live in Miami-Dade County, by any other metric it doesn't make sense that I live in the Miami metro area because I reside in Palmetto Bay, whereas someone who resides in Hollywood (which is the same distance from downtown Miami as Palmetto Bay) doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area