Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The Northeast in general has more of a competitive, hard edge to it than FL, I think. FL probably has a lower overall standard of living, but then I don't think the people in FL (with the possible exception of South FL) have the same economic expectations/aspirations as people in the Northeast do, either.
Depends on who you are - and what you do. My husband and I are retired lawyers - and I can assure you that a ton of lawyers in Florida have much harder edges than those up north (where we went to school and started our careers). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 AM

26 posts, read 77,963 times
Sales taxes are higher, gas prices are higher, auto insurance is higher, property tax is higher if and when you can afford to buy. Pay is not much better in the North contrary to popular opinion. Besides New Jersey is the arm pit of New York. Be careful where you go. You will have huge winter heating bills that will make you wish you had stock in the electric company. If all this is not enough you get the privilege of paying state taxes to a bunch of corrupt politicians who do nothing but line their pockets at your expense. You will get some different seasons of weather and with no children to worry about you won't be trying to find a good school. Good luck what ever you decide. You are young enough to bounce back if it does not work out. Make a plan and go for it. You may like it just fine. Sooner or later we all tire with our surroundings and need to make a change just to feel alive.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:54 PM

141 posts, read 405,346 times
To add to ClassyK21's excellent summation of costs in NJ.

If you work in NYC and live in NJ you will also pay NYC taxes on your salary as well as the New Jersey state income taxes and, of course, federal income taxes.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
There are a lot of reasons to move from NJ to South FL, but cheap living IS NOT one of them. If you want cheap living, move to Oklahoma or Tennessee. If you think it is so much cheaper here, you are in for a shock. Your salary will be much lower here too than NJ.

Also, people keep saying "FL is cheaper than NJ". Yes, the State of FL is cheaper than NJ. But South FL is the most expensive area of the state and is much more expensive to live in than suburban Orlando or Fort Myers. So don't mislead yourself by generalizing with the entire state.

That said, the NC vs. FL argument: It just depends on your tastes. Are all people in South FL rude and unfriendly? NO. But on average, the people down here are not as friendly as NC. So then it comes down to this. Would you rather live around "nice people" or would you rather live where you want to live, despite there being rude people. For me, I like South Florida overall much better than NC. So even though the people in NC are much friendlier, that does not outweigh the weather here and living near the beach. I would never move just because of "rude people". But others would. So it just depends on your tastes.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:27 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
There's a big difference between living in Bergen County (where my husband grew up) and NYC. How many people want to drag themselves into NYC after a long hard day/week at work and spend $30+ for parking to do anything? When it came to my inlaws - the answer was never. OTOH - one of my nieces just moved to NYC - working in Manhattan and living in Brooklyn. Her rent for a nice 500 sf one bedroom is about $2500/month. She can't afford it (most people can't) so she needs help from Dad. There's a big difference between living in NYC and living in New Jersey. Robyn
she is paying 2500 because she wants to not because she has to. I think part of the problem is she is not from Brooklyn. Other wise she would know where to go find sensible rents. In flatbush you can find two bedrooms for 1400 that include water and heat. Same in bedstuy, fort green, red hook, L.G., prospect heights and the list goes on and on. It would be like me telling someone I pay 1600 for a one bedroom in s. florida and its just soooo expensive here yet I am living in Brickell. Heck she could even move to inwood in Manhattan and pay less than that. It is all relative.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:03 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
There are a lot of reasons to move from NJ to South FL, but cheap living IS NOT one of them. If you want cheap living, move to Oklahoma or Tennessee. If you think it is so much cheaper here, you are in for a shock. Your salary will be much lower here too than NJ.

Also, people keep saying "FL is cheaper than NJ". Yes, the State of FL is cheaper than NJ. But South FL is the most expensive area of the state and is much more expensive to live in than suburban Orlando or Fort Myers. So don't mislead yourself by generalizing with the entire state.

That said, the NC vs. FL argument: It just depends on your tastes. Are all people in South FL rude and unfriendly? NO. But on average, the people down here are not as friendly as NC. So then it comes down to this. Would you rather live around "nice people" or would you rather live where you want to live, despite there being rude people. For me, I like South Florida overall much better than NC. So even though the people in NC are much friendlier, that does not outweigh the weather here and living near the beach. I would never move just because of "rude people". But others would. So it just depends on your tastes.

I understand what you are saying. I find (as do probably most people) NC weather to be better than FL weather. We have 4 seasons, but they are pretty mild in comparison to up north. NC has the beaches too, but not like FL.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:03 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
ComSense>

A lot of places have beaches. Oregon has beaches. Virginia has beaches. Maine has beaches. But there is no place like South FL when it comes to things to do on the beach, and the type of beaches we have. It is a huge city on the beach with warm weather all year around. You can go on the beach in the dead of winter, and have fun.

NC weather is "better" than South FL weather? Depends on your personal tastes. NC is gloomier than South FL, as you guys get more cloud cover. Down here, we get far more sunshine and it is very bright most of the time. NC gets very cold in the winter, while we have perfect weather down here in the winter months. Yet South FL is brutally hot 6-7 months out of the year while it is much more mild in NC.

So it just depends on your tastes. It is like saying a blue shirt is better than a red shirt. For you that may be true, but I like a different color.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Like I said, we dont have the beaches like FL has. I'm a FL native, and I can count on my hands how many times we went to the beach the last 3-4 yrs. For us, it just doesn't outweigh the mountains and rivers, and 4 seasons (speaking of weather). It gets cold, but NC winters are not that bad compared to winters up north.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I understand what you are saying. I find (as do probably most people) NC weather to be better than FL weather. We have 4 seasons, but they are pretty mild in comparison to up north. NC has the beaches too, but not like FL.
Com Charlotte has had temps at 97 degrees-100 degrees the last few weeks..I CAN tell you its hotter there than here and its humid there too...My girlfriend is dying from heat there and cant believe it gets hotter than Florida in the Summer..they also didnt have much of a spring...it went from Freezing to mild to really hot and the Mild didnt last too long..My parents are also dying from the heat so to speak in New Jersey right now as well...

Old 07-24-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Com Charlotte has had temps at 97 degrees-100 degrees the last few weeks..I CAN tell you its hotter there than here and its humid there too...My girlfriend is dying from heat there and cant believe it gets hotter than Florida in the Summer..they also didnt have much of a spring...it went from Freezing to mild to really hot and the Mild didnt last too long..My parents are also dying from the heat so to speak in New Jersey right now as well...

It's hot everywhere right now. It got up to 94/95 here in Asheville the last few weeks too. So the temp may be hotter here in Asheville than in Boca Raton (by a degree or two) but it's not the norm. Our mornings start out in the mid 60's whereas in S FL you wake up and it's already hot and humid. At night in S FL, say 10pm, you go outside and it's still very muggy, whereas here the temp drops back down for some relief. Next month, say late August, we start to cool down quite a bit, and in S FL, its the hottest month, and sometimes September is even worse. S FL winters are great though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area