Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:20 AM

233 posts, read 527,930 times

Advertisements

I have come to this site a few times and every time Pompano comes up people act as if it is one huge ghetto. While the western parts of the city are rough it has many nice areas. These include Cypress Harbor, Garden Isles, Pompano Shores, Harbor Village, High Ridge, Cypress Lake and many more. Basically any area east of Federal is very nice from McNab up to Deerfield. Also the areas east of Dixie are nice and include many of the waterfront areas listed above and Old Pompano which is a nice area with older Florida homes. Lions Park and leisureville are decent middle class neighborhoods. Cresthaven and Pompano Highlands are areas that still have issues but have improved over the years and will probably continue to improve beacause they are close to the beach, Pompano Mall, and Lighthouse Point area. Also the area south of Atlantic from Dixie to the Turnpike is mainly warehouses/business parks or Palm Aire, which is a very nicely kept up retirement community. The bad areas are pretty bad but mostly concentrated between Atlantic and Copans west of Dixie. Hopefully many of the newer developments and plans will improve that area. Most of the land along MLK is city owned and there are plans to redevelop the area. Much improvement has been made. They're new developments right off Atlantic west of 95 behind the Lou Bachrodt Chevrolet that would shock most people because you drive through them and feel like your in Coral Springs with new homes that at one time during the boom were listed for 400,000. One might be surprised that Pompano has 50 miles of navigable inland waterways, second only to Fort Lauderdale in South Florida I believe. It also has the third highest tax base, only slightly below Hollywood, in Broward County. Yes it has a higher tax base then Davie, Coral Springs, Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Weston, which are bigger or about the same size as Pompano. It's tax base is only slightly behind Hollywood even though Hollywood is a larger city and has put millions into redevelopment and Pompano has pretty much done nothing. Yet things are changing the city may actually get its act together and is probably one of the best cities in the area to buy investment property. The city is about to spend 10 million on improvement to Atlantic Blvd and its beach. It also has plans for the Old Downtown and a master plan to improve the bad western parts of the city.

Plans for the beach can be found here

http://www.mypompanobeach.org/cra/downloads/beach_master_sept.pdf (broken link)

There are also plan on the city CRA website for Old Pompano and MLK Blvd.

I believe Pompano is finally on the verge of some big changes. It has two new people in charge of redevelopment who were in charge and oversaw both Delray and Hollywood's redevelopment. I guess I'm just tired of ignorant people on this forum who see things on the news and generalize it to the whole city. The crime is mainly concentrated between Atlantic and Copans west of Dixie. I have lived in Pompano my whole life and never felt uncomfortable except if I was hanging out in the bad area mentioned above. The waterfront area I live in, Cypress Harbor, is very safe and pretty nice. My main gripe is there are many nice areas with valuable property in Pompano which is reflected in its tax base. Despite its bad areas I honestly would rather live in Pompano than out in boring, mosquito ridden, no ocean breeze suburbs out west! It takes me 5-20 minutes to get to Hillsboro Inlet/Pompano Beach/FTL Beach/Downtown or Boca. The main issue is Pompano has never lived up to its potential, with its central location and miles of waterfront property, but in the next few years I see Pompano improving and finally creating a focal point beach area.

Last edited by sofla951; 05-29-2010 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 02:58 PM

57 posts, read 164,616 times
that stretch of pompano on federal... all the car dealership graveyards? across from the ugliest public golf course in america? fix that first.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,800,375 times
There are better places to live than Pompano Beach.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Federal looks rougher because the car dealerships have gone out of business......which is going on all over the country. I don't get your comment about ONE graveyard along the entire stretch and the public golf course is kept up well..it just needs to get rid of that chain link fence. Also Momma Bear I see you live or used to live in Weston you are probably one of those people afraid of their own shadow. One can also say there's better places to live than Weston. I would much rather live 5 minutes from the ocean and be able to take out my boat whenever I want. Why live in Weston which has the geography and climate of any swamp in the southeast ....whats the point of living in Florida if it takes you that long to get to the beach? Pompano has more potential than Weston and can only improve. Once it redoes Atlantic and its Old Downtown will have even more to do than boring Weston. You may be able to get more for your money in Weston than the area I live in Pompano but I would be bored to death in Weston and it would suck having to run inside at night to avoid being eaten by mosquitos.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 AM

68 posts, read 295,208 times
Eh, I've never thought Pompano was bad at all. I guess you don't want to live out on Hammondville road, but some people here do seem to think places like Hollywood and Pompano are some sort of Cabrini Green/Compton/Liberty City inner city war zone type situation.

I'm a minute from the beach. I too would rather spend my time there than some landlocked western suburb. Keep your wits about you, know the area, and carry yourself with confidence.

Detroit and Eastern Kentucky, now that's some serious American style Beirut. Places there make Liberty City look up and coming.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:32 PM

I agree Holly and I think Hollywood is much more interesting and has hometown feel to it that the cookie cutter burbs out west will never have. Sure Hollywood has its rough areas but its done a great job with its downtown and honestly to me that area along Hollywood Blvd with all the palms and unique and historic homes is more beautiful than anything in Weston, Coral Springs etc which are sterile and boring. I must say Hollywood is much farther ahead than Pompano, but in the next few years things are changing and the cities on the coast will be getting better and better. Living near the water is what makes Florida and I and many other people who live in eastern broward couldn't imagine living out west where there's no breeze, mosquitos, other swamp creatures and also having to commute in traffic east everyday for work. I've lived in Pompano my whole life and have never seen any crime in person or had any problems personally. That's not to say there isn't because there is, but I don't hang out where most of it is concentrated and I use common sense. The people who post on these forums seem really paranoid. I have a cousin who just moved down here who goes to Ely which is a bad school in the bad area of town. He's one of maybe five white kids in his grade and he's actually never had any problems. He's still is going to transfer to Pompano High next year though because its one of the top schools in the state, and actually rated higher than both of the schools assigned to Weston. I guess in the end my point is for many people the positives of living in Pompano and Hollywood outweigh the negatives and they're nowhere near as bad as people on this forum make them.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:01 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,054,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
I agree Holly and I think Hollywood is much more interesting and has hometown feel to it that the cookie cutter burbs out west will never have. Sure Hollywood has its rough areas but its done a great job with its downtown and honestly to me that area along Hollywood Blvd with all the palms and unique and historic homes is more beautiful than anything in Weston, Coral Springs etc which are sterile and boring. I must say Hollywood is much farther ahead than Pompano, but in the next few years things are changing and the cities on the coast will be getting better and better. Living near the water is what makes Florida and I and many other people who live in eastern broward couldn't imagine living out west where there's no breeze, mosquitos, other swamp creatures and also having to commute in traffic east everyday for work. I've lived in Pompano my whole life and have never seen any crime in person or had any problems personally. That's not to say there isn't because there is, but I don't hang out where most of it is concentrated and I use common sense. The people who post on these forums seem really paranoid. I have a cousin who just moved down here who goes to Ely which is a bad school in the bad area of town. He's one of maybe five white kids in his grade and he's actually never had any problems. He's still is going to transfer to Pompano High next year though because its one of the top schools in the state, and actually rated higher than both of the schools assigned to Weston. I guess in the end my point is for many people the positives of living in Pompano and Hollywood outweigh the negatives and they're nowhere near as bad as people on this forum make them.
Does not your ragging on Weston as boring and sterile .. sort of make you lose sympathy points for your impassioned plea of Pompano Beach ??

Why defend one area by bashing another one .... yes Pompano has its nice areas .. no doubt ... being near the ocean is another plus ... but as one who lived in Weston and enjoyed its clean parks , safe neighborhoods and pristine streets ... I feel you would be on the losing end of a Weston vs Pompano Beach quality of life debate .

Old 05-30-2010, 05:05 PM

My point was every town has its good and bad qualities. Most of the West Broward crew act as though MLK can be generalized to all of Pompano and that Weston is Eden... to many its not. I've never said Weston isn't very nice in general but it too has its downfalls. Is there much going on in Weston? I've heard of Weston Town Center- I would be interested to maybe check it out if someone would be happy to tell what restaurants etc are there. The times I've visited its nice driving around but most of Weston lacks retail/businesses/restaurants/life. It would get old having to drive to other cities to get those things. And your last sentence is the reason I started this post. Areas of Pompano are just as safe, nice and expensive as Weston. At my house many nights we end up leaving doors unlocked, (in Pompano!) which is dumb because anything can happen but we have never had much crime in my neighborhood and it has made us complacent. I honestly can't think of anything happening except one Christmas one of our decorations in the yard was stolen. Most people I know would choose the waterfront areas of Pompano over Weston because to them the quality of life is better being close to the ocean, on the water, less mosquitoes, with more things to do and shorter commutes. Also Pompano's parks are very nice and can easily compete with Weston. You should go by the refurbished Pompano Park (which was nice even before the multimillion dollar refurbishment), the new Aquatic center,Amphitheatre, Kester Park, Hillsboro Inlet Park, Cypress Park, even the parks in the rough areas are very well maintained. Perhaps Pompano's roadways/medians aren't up to par with Weston (Pompano's an older town), but you really can't criticize its parks because they are very well maintained. Pompano probably needs to take better care of some streets, especially Atlantic and Copans west of I95, but Atlantic from federal to the ocean will look very different in a couple years.

Last edited by sofla951; 05-30-2010 at 05:22 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 05:10 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,674,595 times
Rock, I think presuming sofla91 would be on the losing end of the debate is completely subjective. I think many of us in the western burbs would be living as close to the beach as possible if a) we could afford it, b) schools weren't an issue, and c) in some cases, (my husband's) not wanting to commute (he works close enough to home that he can come home for lunch).

Last edited by fauve; 05-30-2010 at 10:15 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 05:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,800,375 times
Quote:
Also Momma Bear I see you live or used to live in Weston you are probably one of those people afraid of their own shadow. One can also say there's better places to live than Weston.
Where you live has much to do with what you want and need out of life for the moment. I would not suggest Weston as a place for younger people without kids, but it is a very nice place to raise children.

I currently live in Weston, soon to be moving to Plantation and I am not sure what that has to do with being "afraid of my own shadow".

Quote:
I would much rather live 5 minutes from the ocean and be able to take out my boat whenever I want.
That's great. I hate boats. But even for those who want to live closer to the ocean there are nicer places than Pompano. Fort Lauderdale has quite a few nice neighborhoods. There are parts of Hollywood (especially east of US 1) that are much nicer than Pompano. Lighthouse Point is lovely. Pompano is ugly and has a very high crime rate. There are enough nice areas in Broward that are close to the water that people don't have to live in Pompano just to be close to the water.

Quote:
Why live in Weston which has the geography and climate of any swamp in the southeast ....whats the point of living in Florida if it takes you that long to get to the beach?
Well-not everyone has a burning desire to go to the beach all the time. I really don't LOVE the beach. I go a few times a year and it's no big deal to drive 25 minutes to the beach a few times a year. I have kids and the western suburbs are much nicer places to raise kids than the eastern suburbs.

When my kids move out my husband and I may choose to live further east. I think that eastern Broward is great for the young and older crowd and people's needs change over the course of their life. But-I am pretty sure that when we move east it WON'T be to live in Pompano.

Quote:
Pompano has more potential than Weston and can only improve. Once it redoes Atlantic and its Old Downtown will have even more to do than boring Weston. You may be able to get more for your money in Weston than the area I live in Pompano but I would be bored to death in Weston and it would suck having to run inside at night to avoid being eaten by mosquitos.
I agree that Pompano can only improve. It's pretty yucky right now. However, it's not like the only choices people have are Pompano or Weston. Broward is a pretty big county. For those wanting to live closer to the beach there are better places to live than Pompano. I like Weston. It's quiet and very beautiful. We are moving a little further east to Plantation because we do want to be closer to the things that we do in east Broward. However, I don't think that Pompano is the answer for folks who want to live in a nice area closer to the beach. There are better choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area