Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:38 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,001 times

Advertisements

Hello, all... I have an opportunity to transfer to the Fort Myers area with my work, and am looking for resources and information about the area.

I work for TSA at the airport, so it would be helpful to know approximately how big the airport is, and what the airport is like... it would also be helpful to figure out the 'average' cost of living for a family of four... From what I can tell, the median house price in the Fort Myers area is anywhere from 105,000 - 130,000. Is this actually the case? How expensive is flood insurance and what areas would I need to watch out for in terms of crime/flooding/etc?

It looks like crime there is somewhat higher than normal, based on my research.

Can any of you natives help me out here? Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you work at the airport itself, it would be nice to talk to you via private messages, if that's okay.

Once again, thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 03:29 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,124 times
Default Estero is very close to the Airport

We are concentrating our home search in Estero because of it's location to the airport, low crime and the great reviews that I have read. My husband just moved there (8 days ago) and I am anxiously awaiting joining him. So far he is really enjoying it there. He started looking at some homes already. I believe Estero is more expensive than Fort Myers but you can find property at that price (especially condos). He told me the communities in Estero are beautiful. I am the one who usually loves looking at homes so it is funny to hear him be so excited about the homes and condos he looked at.

I wish I could help you more but I am sure the natives will give you GREAT advice. I love and appreciate the people on this forum so much. It is a wealth of information.

Good luck on your decision on transferring. It took us a LONG time and I am so glad it finally happened and I am so looking forward to Sunny and Warm (Hot) Florida. It's chilly up here in Wisconsin.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 PM

135 posts, read 407,748 times
The airport is located near I-75. Gateway is close to there, but in a bad school zone I believe. (You mentioned family of 4, so I assume you have children.) Gateway is a nice neighborhood that is very family oriented. You would literally be about 5-10 mins. from the airport.

Estero is beautiful. I think houses run a bit more down that way, but you may have better options for schooling if you are going to go public. If I buy a house, it will be in Estero somewhere. We don't currently live there, but love it there and travel that way quite a bit.

The airport itself is not that big. It is actually one of the smaller ones I have been in.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:24 PM

What are some of the nicer areas/neighborhoods around there? Schools don't concern me quite as much because my wife homeschools (she used to be a teacher.. and got tired of the BS in the schools).

I see a LOT of short sales for 50K-100K. How often do those short sales actually go for that price? Can I get a good house for under 110K or so?

Also, it would be great if I could speak to a Realtor... can any of you recommend one, or perhaps a Realtor on this site would be willing to talk to me.

If I didn't have to make this decision by the end of next week, that would help... but as it is, I have very little time to gather my thoughts & information about the area, so any and all help is appreciated.

It looks like the crime rate there is relatively high.. is there a particular reason for this? Are there any less-expensive areas that have low crime rates?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:15 PM

320 posts, read 1,129,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
What are some of the nicer areas/neighborhoods around there? Schools don't concern me quite as much because my wife homeschools (she used to be a teacher.. and got tired of the BS in the schools).

I see a LOT of short sales for 50K-100K. How often do those short sales actually go for that price? Can I get a good house for under 110K or so?

Also, it would be great if I could speak to a Realtor... can any of you recommend one, or perhaps a Realtor on this site would be willing to talk to me.

If I didn't have to make this decision by the end of next week, that would help... but as it is, I have very little time to gather my thoughts & information about the area, so any and all help is appreciated.

It looks like the crime rate there is relatively high.. is there a particular reason for this? Are there any less-expensive areas that have low crime rates?

Thanks again for all of your help.
Yes, you can still get a good house for under 100K.

Most of the crime is in north Fort Myers. I'm in San Carlos Park, which is considered south Fort Myers and is north of Estero. There are a ton of houses in San Carlos Park that are in your price range. Another bonus is that I'm only 10 minutes or so from the airport.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
Yes, you can still get a good house for under 100K.

Most of the crime is in north Fort Myers. I'm in San Carlos Park, which is considered south Fort Myers and is north of Estero. There are a ton of houses in San Carlos Park that are in your price range. Another bonus is that I'm only 10 minutes or so from the airport.
What about the short sales in the area? Are a lot of them going for significantly higher than what the "advertised" price is?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM

320 posts, read 1,129,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
What about the short sales in the area? Are a lot of them going for significantly higher than what the "advertised" price is?
I don't know about the short sales. You might want to look at foreclosures, though. Find a good RE agent and go from there. You might want to rent initially to get to know the area before you commit to a house.

We closed on our 3 BR/2BA house in November of 2009 (after renting for 8 months or so). At the time, it was listed at something like $94K and we agreed with the seller at $92K. The seller was a bank because it was a foreclosure. Long story short, the appraisal came back at $72K and the bank, after shuffling their feet, finally agreed to sell the house to us for the $72K.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
I don't know about the short sales. You might want to look at foreclosures, though. Find a good RE agent and go from there. You might want to rent initially to get to know the area before you commit to a house.

We closed on our 3 BR/2BA house in November of 2009 (after renting for 8 months or so). At the time, it was listed at something like $94K and we agreed with the seller at $92K. The seller was a bank because it was a foreclosure. Long story short, the appraisal came back at $72K and the bank, after shuffling their feet, finally agreed to sell the house to us for the $72K.

You will definitely want to rent first, especially in San Carlos Park which is very spotty.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:26 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Estero and San Carlos park have some really nice homes and areas. Most of the crime, from what I've seen in the papers, is situated in the poorer, run down areas. I really like the airport. As a consumer who's used it several times over the past 4 years, I find it really clean, it's pretty new, they're talking about expanding soon. Very bright, sunny. The employees, for the most part, are professional, friendly. I can't speak from an insider's viewpoint, tho.

Best of luck wherever you end up. I hope you like it here.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Estero is a completely different area than San Carlos Park. Estero has some BEAUTIFUL homes and areas. San Carlos can be gritty. There are some decent homes and also some very nice ones, such as in Three Oaks. There are some iffy areas, though, such as Miami Blvd. And since the recession those areas have gone downhill quite a bit.

I would stick with Estero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area