Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 PM

98 posts, read 367,500 times

Advertisements

This website has become a source of very interesting and informative reading and I am honestly glad I have found it. I am able to read about places from all over the country. Places I have never been, places I will never go, or places I have vacationed or have family.

One thing has become abundantly clear. More so than any of the geographic locations I have read about on CD, some people love to hate Cape Coral.

Its confusing really. I am a lifelong resident of the city. I know about its faults and its strengths as well or better than most because of it. Its far from a perfect place and I am not happy with many of its shortcomings. However, never have I become so upset with a geographic location that I would ever consider vigorously running its name through the dirt.

I have seen posters call the area "trash", "a dump", " a waste land", a "ghost town", "ugly", the list goes on and on. I have read "anyone who lives there has a low standard of livng" and its residents further characterized as "stuck." The dislike for the city goes even deeper. There is alot of time involved in some threads citing specific news reports or data that on the cover really depicts the area as a horrible place. However, when the cited news is clicked on and read, it does not collaborate or give credibilty to the criticism at all.

I am not calling anyone a liar or trying to insult anyone. I also am not speaking of anyone in particular. I am trying to bring to light a trend and issue that I do not understand in hopes of clarification. Everyone has the right to their own opinion and Cape Coral deserves its fair share of criticism. However, what is the source of the bitterness and anger? What is the reasoning or rationale behind the hate of Cape Coral?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 PM

282 posts, read 1,005,073 times
I don't get it either, I think Cape Coral is a nice place. I just ignore the people who constantly post negative things about it. I know what it's like and I enjoy it very much.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,443,922 times
I don't know. It has been going on here way before the burst. I have been here for 18 years and still like it. I am here by choice. Yes, we have problems but so does every other place.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:33 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,293,408 times
What I find particularly ironic is that the vast majority of people who live in Cape Coral chose to live here. They looked into all the other possible places to live and decided to move to Cape Coral. And no one is forcing them to stay.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:53 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
I would take Cape coral over Pit Myers, Naples, or Lehigh any day.... In my opinion I think Naples is an overrated crappy city. I lived off of Pelican blvd, and loved it there....

Old 06-17-2010, 06:26 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,688,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I would take Cape coral over Pit Myers, Naples, or Lehigh any day.... In my opinion I think Naples is an overrated crappy city.
I would second all of this......................but would add............there's always room for improvement.

Cape Coral is the perfect example of what a bunch of opportunistic politicians can do to a geographic area. Step outside, into an unincorporated area of the county, and the living gets instantly easier, in terms of taxes, utilities, freedom to do what you want with your own property, etc. etc. etc.

To many, those things are of no importance. To some that are fiercely independant, obtrusive, intrusive government, on any level just plain ticks them off. Cape Coral is the center of the tick off universe for me. A permit to hold a garage sale?...........oh, come on! Money grubbing rat bas***ds.

Awwww ya got me started already this morning

YC.......

Old 06-17-2010, 06:41 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,491,367 times
YC......you really need a permit for a garage sale? That's nuts. I know in our city, not town, you are not allowed to have a perpetual garage sale...but your normal once a year or so get rid of your junk sale should be your own business and allowed...IMHO.

I think the negative post need to be taken with a grain of salt. Sure, they are true, and need to known.......but the very nature of forums, (This Ft Myers forum WAY more then others here....) tend to favor the negative postings. People like to complain more then praise, sadly.

I do wonder and sometime question when folks ONLY post EVERYTHING negative, with nothing ever positive to say...........

I think we have some who perhaps have personal issues, (no one in particular, I'm talking about ALL the forums), that they project to the forum.

The people who love where they live have a happy, good, healthy life.....busy with friends, hobbies, etc.........they are not spending hours in front of their computer posting negative posts.........I think we see a vocal few and not the many who do not post......they are just enjoying their life...

Just my two cents......hey, I could be wrong....

Frank

Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 AM

317 posts, read 768,334 times
Frank - I think the city was trying to prevent perpetual garage sales by creating the permit law. You must get a permit and you are only allowed to have a garage sale twice a year. If you don't get a permit, code enforcement can force you to close.

My husband grew up in this town and we are living here by choice. Is it the best place in the world to live? No. I would much rather be back in Texas. But, we own a business here, we own a home here, we have a great network of friends here and we enjoy the area. While Cape Coral certainly isn't a hub of culture, it is a pretty good place to live.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:48 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,476,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
Frank - I think the city was trying to prevent perpetual garage sales by creating the permit law. You must get a permit and you are only allowed to have a garage sale twice a year. If you don't get a permit, code enforcement can force you to close.

My husband grew up in this town and we are living here by choice. Is it the best place in the world to live? No. I would much rather be back in Texas. But, we own a business here, we own a home here, we have a great network of friends here and we enjoy the area. While Cape Coral certainly isn't a hub of culture, it is a pretty good place to live.
You need to get a permit to have a garage sale in CC? I don't know if that is hysterically funny or sad. Does the permit cost $$?

I've lived in more than a dozen states & probably double that in cities (none to do w/ needing sun or hating snow or loving trees....) & have never seen SOOOO many garage sales that I felt the city needed to pass an ordiance. I know there is that famous route along the east coast that has the year round yard sale; but that is not the norm.
Just seems like a silly thing to enforce. JM2C.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:09 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,857,180 times
Can't speak for year round residents ,but as snowbirds we LOVE CC.Lots to do,shopping is close,nice neighbors and very little crime.
I understand that people have issues with schools,town government and services.........but so do most towns accross America.
NH in the summer and CC in the winter....life is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area