Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 PM

473 posts, read 1,162,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
Sarasota was our first choice but my husbands job took him to Fort Myers. We had only visited the area briefly in 2005 and loved Sanibel but didn't really check out Fort Myers that much. We spent more time in the Sarasota area.

The job should decide if you have that coming down. The wife likes Sanibel but it's not for me. Captiva is much more for me

I did not think another area could compare but I do think Estero and the little parts of Bonita Springs I saw are beautiful. For me the beauty is the lush green, tree-lined streets (try driving down Coconut Rd, south of the Coconut Point Mall and go east) Really pretty.

Thank you so much for the tip of Coconut Rd south of the mall. I will make a point of travelling that because I am looking for something that grabs me and says, here is where you want to be. So far Sarasota has done that for us. But I know there has to be more jobs in between Ft. Myers and Naples so I could still be persuaded.

I love many of the communities and their beauty with lakes, preserves and such. I was amazed at the shopping and I realize there is more to life than shopping, but I had so much fun looking at outlet designer stores and such. I also thought the people were polite and nice. I know the traffic and amount of people will double in the season, but it didn't seem deserted to me. I was surprised at the number of young people and young families because the average age is 61 as per city data.

I didn't have time to check out the beaches on this last trip but the beaches in Sarasota are amazing. I will be happy to just walk along the beach and enjoy the water view anywhere along the Gulf.

Estero Bay is beautiful and whole gulf area between Ft Myers beach and Naples really blew me away for it's beauty.

I don't take offense to your opinion. I do think it is what you are used to and my husband and I enjoy trees, water and nice people (I like shopping too). We are not big city people but like to be close to some of the larger cities amenities. I think it is a plus for working to be close to Naples too.

I am happy you weren't offended because that was in no way what I was going for. Glad you got it the right way.

I think Sarasota and Fort Myers area are both great choices and I can't wait to get down there permanently.
I guess if those are the choices you have to make in life it cant be all that bad right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
No offense taken, beerme. Your thoughts echo mine.

Pinda, I'm not sure that you are aware that it is a bit of a drive to get to a beach from Estero. You have to head to Fort Myers Beach or Bonita, unfortunately.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 AM

325 posts, read 1,016,824 times
I realize it is probably 30 minute drive to the beach but that is a lot closer than I am now in Wisconsin, smile. I actually want to live a bit in-land for insurance reasons and can't afford to live too close to the beach. Also since my husband works at the airport, Estero or South Fort Myers is an ideal location.

On my other thread, I am not able to get any response about Pelican Preserves or the area surrounding it. It is located just south of Colonial and off of Treeline Rd (east), not too far from Hwy 82 with adjacent to Leheigh Acres which from reading many posts scare me but I LOVE Pelican Preserves. The 55+ community has affordable nice homes with many having preserve views and lake views and the communitiy is gorgeous. This is also ideally located for my husbands work. He doesn't want to drive far.

Do you know anything about the area? Colonial is under construction and it looks terrible but that is temporary. I didn't see as much develope off of Colonial as I do in Estero so I don't know if that means anything or not.

I would really appreciate opinions on the area in general even if you aren't familiar with Pelican Preserves itself.

Thank you for the input.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 AM

9 posts, read 22,973 times
Default Best place to live on West Coast of Florida?

So, there's been talk of Sarasota, Estero, Naples, Sanibel and Bonita Springs on this thread. My husband and I are considering buying on Florida's West Coast for investment and to relocate when we are ready to retire (quite a few years away - I'm 47). If you didn't have to worry about finding a job, which would be your ideal place to live? Looking forward to everyone's opinions.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:42 AM

325 posts, read 1,016,824 times
You may get a better response if you start a new thread with your question. We love both Fort Myers and Sarasota. Because I haven't even moved down there yet (husband moved in June to start work), I am not able to give you an educated answer, just that both are beautiful areas. I usually check out the crime statistics and it is good to look at the school ratings too before buying. Good luck in your decision.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:40 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes. Amazingly, us East Coasters are pretty darn nice!
We are????? there is a thread devoted to how evil we all are!!!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
We are????? there is a thread devoted to how evil we all are!!!!!
I saw that. I just think it is a hoot that Midwesterners tend to think that Northeasterners are rude, until they get to know us. I think the way we talk throws them off at first.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I saw that. I just think it is a hoot that Midwesterners tend to think that Northeasterners are rude, until they get to know us. I think the way we talk throws them off at first.
LOL.... But I don't talk funny!!! No accent at all.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Can we get back on the subject here, why turn a thread that is about Estero being beautiful(which it is) into a flame war????

Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 AM

515 posts, read 1,582,283 times
Estero is a great location! I'm 10 minutes to a state park with a boat ramp that takes you to the Gulf. Everything you could want is close by. We can drive 20 minutes to our favorite beach front pizza place and enjoy fantastic sunsets in shorts while all the northerners are freezing.
Maybe no major league teams but that doesn't influence me, I've got better things to do than pay overinflated ticket prices to see a bunch of overpaid guys running around and getting rich.
Education, entertainment, shopping, travel, no snow, friendly people , all close by. If I want more I drive 5/10 minutes and get on the plane go get it. Miami and Tampa are both no more than 1.5 to 2 hours away by car. Disney is 3 hours, there's no happier place on earth. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area