Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,504,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
I don't need to be armed at all times.

I feel safer here than my hometown in Ohio

"Stand your ground" does not allow / support cases like the basketball court shooting. It's there to support and defend our right to defend ourselves in a life-threatening situation.

Again, if someone looks at me crossed-eyed and I shoot them - there goes my freedom as I'd be in jail.

The reason why I carry - I can't carry a cop whenever I leave my home. I don't have the esp powers to know whether or not some bad guy is going to rob the gas station or bank or grocery store with me inside, kidnap my kids, etc etc. Sorry that I believe that my and my family's life is just important outside of our home as it is inside our home.

Then don't say you feel safe here, you clearly don't.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:38 PM

616 posts, read 1,558,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Then don't say you feel safe here, you clearly don't.
Please quote where I said I feel safe. I said "SAFER"; there is no place on Earth that is not subject to crime. Even in the depths of a desert or in the jungle, you are subject to crimes as you would walking down street. You don't know when something may happen to you.

I've had more training in firearms than the average person - above and beyond what they require for the CCW. Those who do get their hand gun permit / ccw license tend to follow the law and even debate interpretation of the law as 90% of it was not written well. That little gun buster sign that people put on their doors keeps me out (if and when I'm carrying) - do you think that person who wants to commit a robbery is going to pay attention?

In the case of the basketball court shooting - the gun was a tool in the killing. The gun did not kill someone. Someone killed someone. So, let's say the guy was killed with a baseball bat - should we ban all baseball bats? Just about anything can be used as a tool to kill someone. A scarf (strangling), a pen (nice point through the temple or throat) why aren't we banning all of these things?

Any person can go off the deep and kill someone, but that's not the gun's fault nor the people who follow the law.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:42 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,491,367 times
It is not a question of "feeling safe".

I have not had a career in law enforcement and then after public safety for 25 years without seeing first hand that bad things can happen to good people....anywhere.

I do not think for a moment that my home will catch on fire.......but I do happen to own fire insurance.....perhaps a bad analogy, but I think it loosely fits.

Frank

Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Since the 1987 Right to Carry law went into effect :

http://www.justfacts.com/images/guncontrol/florida.jpg (broken link)

On October 1, 1987, Florida's right-to-carry law became effective.[103]

* This law requires that concealed carry licensees be 21 years of age or older, have clean criminal/mental health records, and complete a firearms safety/training course.[104]

* As of July 31, 2010, Florida has issued 1,825,143 permits and has 746,430 active licensees,[105] constituting roughly 5.4% of the state's population that is 21 years of age or older.[106]

[107]

* Since the outset of the Florida right-to-carry law, the Florida murder rate has averaged 36% lower than it was before the law took effect, while the U.S. murder rate has averaged 15% lower.[108]

* From the outset of the Florida right-to-carry law through July 31, 2010, Florida has revoked 5,674 or 0.3% of all issued permits. Of these:

• 522 permits were revoked for crimes committed prior to licensure
• 4,955 permits were revoked for crimes committed after licensure, of which 168 involved the usage of a firearm.[109]
Gun Control

Old 09-29-2010, 04:14 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,823,680 times
Quote:

* Since the outset of the Florida right-to-carry law, the Florida murder rate has averaged 36% lower than it was before the law took effect, while the U.S. murder rate has averaged 15% lower.[108]
I'll make sure to pass along this info to the family of the 41 year old Iraq veteran who was shot to death over the weekend. Oh, and I guess the families of the 2 police officers shot to death in Tampa a few months ago are going to be relieved to hear how safe we are. Just yesterday 2 people were shot on Merritt Island where one neighbor interviewed said, "Nothing like that every happens here because it's such a nice, quiet neighborhood." Reminds me of all the people who said there were no attacks on the United States under the Bush Administration.

When it happens to you, statistics mean very little.

"OMG! Someone shot my 2 kids while they were in school today."

"But Mrs. Jones, haven't you read the latest numbers on crime? It's much safer to live here, especially since everyone went out and bought a gun."

Old 09-29-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Please quote where I said I feel safe. I said "SAFER"; there is no place on Earth that is not subject to crime. Even in the depths of a desert or in the jungle, you are subject to crimes as you would walking down street. You don't know when something may happen to you.

I've had more training in firearms than the average person - above and beyond what they require for the CCW. Those who do get their hand gun permit / ccw license tend to follow the law and even debate interpretation of the law as 90% of it was not written well. That little gun buster sign that people put on their doors keeps me out (if and when I'm carrying) - do you think that person who wants to commit a robbery is going to pay attention?

In the case of the basketball court shooting - the gun was a tool in the killing. The gun did not kill someone. Someone killed someone. So, let's say the guy was killed with a baseball bat - should we ban all baseball bats? Just about anything can be used as a tool to kill someone. A scarf (strangling), a pen (nice point through the temple or throat) why aren't we banning all of these things?

Any person can go off the deep and kill someone, but that's not the gun's fault nor the people who follow the law.
No the gun did the killing. The problem down here is FL's liberal gun laws with this stand your ground is out of control. Too many on a "power trip", they have a gun look at for me.

It is outrageous that this moron brought a gun to a playground over a kid skateboarding.

This state is loaded with nut jobs, maybe that is the reason you feel so unsafe here.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
It is not a question of "feeling safe".

I have not had a career in law enforcement and then after public safety for 25 years without seeing first hand that bad things can happen to good people....anywhere.

I do not think for a moment that my home will catch on fire.......but I do happen to own fire insurance.....perhaps a bad analogy, but I think it loosely fits.

Frank
It is either a question of feeling safe or the need to feel superior to others by carrying a gun.

One or the other.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,491,367 times
It is obvious that there are two totally different points of view here, and it is equally obvious that those holding to such views are not likely to change their opinions on the topic.

Also, it is easy to bring up past (and recent) situations that would support either view.

Perhaps it is best to just agree to disagree agreeably. This is a local forum, and further debate is better suited in the "Great Debates" forum.

Frank

Old 09-29-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
No the gun did the killing. The problem down here is FL's liberal gun laws with this stand your ground is out of control. Too many on a "power trip", they have a gun look at for me.

It is outrageous that this moron brought a gun to a playground over a kid skateboarding.

This state is loaded with nut jobs, maybe that is the reason you feel so unsafe here.
Did the gun aim itself on the victim? Who pulled the trigger? The gun must have just discharged by itself. Hmm that gun had a mind of its own and decided to kill someone.

Quote:
It is either a question of feeling safe or the need to feel superior to others by carrying a gun.

One or the other.
I don't feel superior to anyone. Actually I feel less of a person, because I have to hide something that is my right to do. I have to keep my mouth quiet because of people wanting to take my right away. I chose to carry and deal with the political agenda that it comes with because nobody in this world cares more about my life but me and my family.

Maybe all the gun owners should put their guns away and carry baseball bats

ETA: I agree to disagree.

Last edited by stahltkd; 09-29-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 05:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
One of the things that I liked the best about Florida was the right to bear arms. TN is the same. When I lived up in MA it was up to the local police chief to decide. I know someone that a chief denied just because he didn't like his looks. NO criminal record. I think that is pathetic.

In a perfect world we would not need guns but this country was founded as gun-centric and if we start banning guns now we are only taking them away from the law abiding citizens. The criminals will always get guns.

The Tampa incident is a perfect example of a life saved if we banned guns. If the guy hadn't had a gun he would have never killed that man. He was 69. The victim was in his 40s and in excellent shape. But that is the rare exception. Sometimes things happen and we can't legislate everything. How many more lives are saved because honest, law-abiding citizens are armed?

I agree with Nancy, though. No one has even hinted at taking away the right to bear arms since Obama took office. But the guns and ammo people took advantage of bigotry and paranoia to make money, to the point of running low on ammo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area